Post Workout Food Suggestions

Options
nam14uk
nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
So this week I've been hitting the gym really hard and have burned over 4000 calories (using my HRM) but am struggling to think of the best foods for post workout. I'm not a fan of milk or porridge (oatmeal) so any suggestions other than those would be great!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    What time of the day do you workout? Make sure you have some carbs before a workout. Maybe a healthy protein shake afterwards if you are in a pinch. But stick with lean protein (turkey, chicken, fish) and lots of veggies for sure.
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    Try a protein shake with 1 cup of milk blended with 2 tablespoons of Natural Peanut Butter. That should be around 430 calories right there if you use 1% milk.
  • nam14uk
    Options
    It really varies each week. Often I go at about 6am before work but the past couple of weeks I've been going after work in the evenings to classes. I've found it tough this last week because by the time I get home after a big workout in the evening it's almost too late to eat a proper meal.

Will give the protein shakes a try! Thanks!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Some chicken strips with hummus and veggie dippers - you can put these in a mini pot and keep them in your gym bag x
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what type of workout you are doing. If it's a strictly cardio workout, then it is recommended that you don't eat anything for about an hour afterwards because your metabolism is elevated and in calorie burning mode. After that I would probably have a piece of fruit or something with whole grains and something with a bit of protein in it. If you are doing a strength training workout, then you need something with both carbs and protein as soon as possible afterward to quickly give your muscles the materials that they need to start repairing themselves. I usually have a whey protein shake and a banana or something similar.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I love raw almonds!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    After my workouts I like to make a chocolate protien shake (soy or whey whatever I have at the time). I mix it in the blender with a banana and a cup or two of fresh spinach. I know that sounds gross but it's a great way to get extra veggies in and it's really good. You can't taste the spinach. Sometimes I'll throw in a spoonful of natural peanut butter in.
  • Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a cup of Oikos Greek yogurt for protein (23g) and frozen mixed berries on top for my carb + protein combo. :)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I always have an omelet after morning workouts with some whole wheat toast. In the evening I normally make a dinner with chicken, brown rice and veggies.
  • leasteph
    Options
    How about an apple with peanut butter, or a turkey/chicken sandwich on whole wheat with a little lettuce/tomato? I love a sandwich in the morning.
  • Net132
    Net132 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do evening workouts usually eat a light supper before I go. Lean protein like chicken a veggie and a card. I eat less for dinner when I know I a working out after! Then about an hour after I get home I have a protein shake. I use GNC wheybolic, 2scoops(40 grams of protein) on weight training days and 1 scoop on cardio days. Mix it up with some strawberries and bananas Yummy! If I am working a little later I have a later lunch and skip dinner.
  • nam14uk
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your responses! I'll be sure to give them a go!