A REAL challenge!

Options
Alright. I've noticed there never is really any competition in any of the challenges posted on here. Everything is based on meeting a goal, and members log everyday on how far they have until they get to that goal.

So, I've taken it into my own hands to create a REAL challenge. A REAL competition. Have we all heard of the "playing card" workout?

You take a full stack of playing cards -- 52 cards in total. No jokers. Shuffle them up and draw the one off the top. (You do not have to shuffle before drawing the next cards, of course.) Spades are walking planks, diamonds are jumping jacks, hearts are squats, and clovers are sit-ups. I'll post explanations of these moves. The number on the card indicates how many of that particular exercise you do. Kings, queens, jacks, and aces are all counted as 10. Example: You draw a 5 of hearts, so you'd have to do 5 squats.

This workout has no trainer screaming at you to move along. Therefore, you can take your time and do the moves slowly. You could take a break whenever you wanted as well, but since this is a competition, I think you better not....

We'll be comparing total times to complete all 52 cards. Do this workout as fast as possible, and post your time here. You can repeat this as many times as you like, so if somebody beats your score, you have a chance to beat them back. Even if no one has beaten your record so far, feel free to beat your own. You'll want to use a good timer with minutes, seconds, and maybe even milliseconds. Note: You're time does not include warm-up or cool-down, but you should definitely do these! I did this last night, and it's really tough. So, of course, don't kill yourself doing my challenge! If you need a break, take a break. Please!

Rules:

1. You must go through the entire deck of cards, 52.
2. You cannot substitute moves for others. The spades will always be walking planks, the diamonds always jumping jacks, etc.
3. You must complete each move completely! No standing jumping jacks for example.
4. You must be the one to deal each card. No letting a friend call them out to you.
5. Any breaks will count toward your total time. You start the time at the very beginning and stop it only when you've completed all 52 cards.

For jumping jacks:

Just don't do them like this. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGisVaH4DLs

For walking planks:

Basically this is a walking pushup/walkout pushup without the pushup! A push-up is a very hardcore move, and I know that some cannot do it just yet. Maybe we'll add those into another challenge. Everybody should be able to go into plank for a second or two though. Start standing up with feet together. Bend over and walk your hands forward until you're in plank position and then walk your hands back towards your feet. Stand up and repeat. The ONLY modification to this move will be to bend you knees when walking back, but try your best to keep the legs straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfbJE_k9v6k

For sit ups:

I'm not talking about crunches here guys! The only modification is to either do it with your legs straight on the ground or with your knees bent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUfi2GVswu8

For squats:

Feel free to do whatever with your hands, as long as you do the squat too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRnGI3c5Jjs

Message me if you have any questions!! Good luck!

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Anybody??
  • Tallbrunette1980
    Options
    I like the idea but I would probably end up pushing myself even more then the cards tell me..lol..I try and just set goals and go for it! Awesome idea tho for those that want to challenge themselves.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    I actually do something similar when I'm snowed in and can't get to the gym!
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    Funkyspunky871 ... this is awesome. You really went to some trouble posting all the examples and stuff. I love it!!! I'm going to give this a try ... not as a challenge yet ... I'm way too out of shape for that right now. But with our Canadian winters it's nice to have an option like this rather then going out to the gym. Thanks for sharing my MFP friend. :flowerforyou:
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This sounds really neat. This month I am already doing another challenge so maybe next month. TFS
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I will try this for sure! Not today but maybe tomorrow or Monday! I want to see one person's time though, so I can see what I'm getting myself in to. I am down to try anything once thought!! :)
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    hey thanks for posting this challenge.. this sounds like a fun little workout. I will definately try it! :flowerforyou:
  • Buttsmom
    Buttsmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later, I hurt my wrist today, so there is no way I can do the push ups right away.
  • frenchfri87
    Options
    Hey my time for this challenge is 19minutes 41 seconds..
    I was not really rushing because I want to get the most out of the movements but I definately broke a sweat. Lots of fun. I will be doing this again to try to beat my own personal best!

Thanks for the great workout challenge:flowerforyou:
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna do this when I get home tonight! :D *saving for later* Will keep you updated and I'll post my time in a bit!! :)
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Bump Sounds fun.
  • Erin7283
    Options
    What an awesome workout idea!!! Love it!! I'm gonna do it tonight!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!

Erin
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am gonna do this right now! Will post my time asap
  • foxyforce
    Options
    17:43 with only 3 walking planks...those killed me pretty quick. but I didn't want to give up so I just omitted them and did the rest.
  • frenchfri87
    Options
    loathesome.. the walking planks were suprizingly very tough!! I was super annoyed when I finished the 10 of spades(10 walking planks) only to turn over the K of spades (10 walking planks) haha
  • foxyforce
    Options
    loathesome.. the walking planks were suprizingly very tough!! I was super annoyed when I finished the 10 of spades(10 walking planks) only to turn over the K of spades (10 walking planks) haha

that is totally what happened to me. The first one was a 10, I was not prepared for that. Then the second one was an 8 a few cards later. And then the very next one also was worth 10! After that I had to leave them out. SO I did 28 not terrible, but not complete either.
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like the randomness of this sort of workout plan and the fact you could do it with any four core moves. For those playing at home your totals will be 94 moves per suit (94 Jumping Jacks, Planks, etc)
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bump - sounds interesting!! I'll see if I can find time to do it.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a lot of fun! I'll definitely give it a go!

I admit -- I did look into the sit-ups vs. crunches thing because I was worried about what I'd heard about how they can hurt your back. What I found was that, if you don't make it your regualr exercise, don't do it too rigorously, and you don't have back problems-- go for it! So, just a head sup for anyone out there looking to do this!

Super excited to give this a shot!
  • foxyforce
    Options
    This sounds like a lot of fun! I'll definitely give it a go!

I admit -- I did look into the sit-ups vs. crunches thing because I was worried about what I'd heard about how they can hurt your back. What I found was that, if you don't make it your regualr exercise, don't do it too rigorously, and you don't have back problems-- go for it! So, just a head sup for anyone out there looking to do this!

Super excited to give this a shot!

I also wont do sit ups, they hurt my neck and in turn my jaw. I do crunches. If I want to do sit ups I use one of those ab rollers with the head rest, it doesn't hurt my neck at all and it is the same effect.