What Book Are You Reading?

Options

Replies

• beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Is "Giving" a book? I've read all of Chaim Potok's books too (it's so sad when I've read all a great author's books.)

Well it's bound and was at Barnes and Nobles and has an ISBN number :P

He he he.

not a novel but i don't read many novels.

Oh wait -- I have cat's cradle in the bathroom for my nightly baths. :P

:laugh: :laugh: Who is the author? and What is it about?
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    'A Storm of Swords' by George R.R. Martin. (If you like Fantasy, you HAVE TO READ THIS SERIES (A game of Thrones is the first in the series, DO IT!!!)

'God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?' By John Lennox, a book which desects popular sciences attempts to disprove God with equally disprovable theories (Not specifically evolution, though Intelligent Design is a big part of it). It's a pretty awesome book, and not overly technical.

Since when does popular science attempt to disprove God, ever?

Science doesn't exist to disprove God; science exists to explain what man knows (and thus explore wha the does not know).

I think what he means is when some scientists go too far in their stance on non-provable theory versus empirical science. I may be wrong....

Correct.

There is an entire faction of scientists that will do absolutely anything in order to push a theory that actually *does* disprove a supreme being.

I was going to go into a rant about multiverse theory vs. Intelligent Design, but this is not the place for a debate that will ineviitably turn ugly.

Suffice to say, it's a good book for proponets of Intelligent Design (old world, young Earth creationists will probably not care for it).

Love you guys. :heart:
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    'A Storm of Swords' by George R.R. Martin. (If you like Fantasy, you HAVE TO READ THIS SERIES (A game of Thrones is the first in the series, DO IT!!!)

'God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?' By John Lennox, a book which desects popular sciences attempts to disprove God with equally disprovable theories (Not specifically evolution, though Intelligent Design is a big part of it). It's a pretty awesome book, and not overly technical.

Science doesn't exist to disprove God; science exists to explain what man knows (and thus explore wha the does not know).

I think what he means is when some scientists go too far in their stance on non-provable theory versus empirical science. I may be wrong....

Theories are always technically just speculation in everyday language, but in science, have been tested again and again that they sustain enough evidence (fact) to become (and remain) theories.

So "non-provable theory" doesn't make sense. I'm not trying to harp. I was raised in a household of science. I get offended when people go, "Oh scientists!! Peh!! They hate God, are stupid (for their stupid Ph.Ds) and don't believe in Intelligent Design) and ya ya."

Theory, in science, is something - a set of facts so well established researched and tested- that explains the phenomena of the world and in nature. Theories (ie, Relativity, Gravity) are used to formulate new theories and mathematical equations.

ID isn't a theory.

Nor is it empirical data. That's the stuff that academia uses...stats, more or less.

I get ruffled with language sometimes. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

ANYWAY! Slaughterhouse-Five was much better than Cat's Cradle.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading "Night" by Elie Wiesel

I seriously recomend this book to anyone... its about a boys experience in the Nazi Concentration camp Auschwitz(sp)... its Terrifying and educational!!! horrifyingly excellent... thats how id put it. It is the true story of what the author went through in Auschwitz.
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    Is "Giving" a book? I've read all of Chaim Potok's books too (it's so sad when I've read all a great author's books.)

He he he.

giving is by bill clinton and cat's cradle is by kurt vonnegut

I don't reccomend either for you if you are a proponent of Intelligent Design.

:heart:

(Unless you want to hear about the end of the world, drinking, drugs, *kitten*, a religion where all religions are lies and secret formulas to get rid of mud!)
  • maverickyanda
    Options

I seriously recomend this book to anyone... its about a boys experience in the Nazi Concentration camp Auschwitz(sp)... its Terrifying and educational!!! horrifyingly excellent... thats how id put it. It is the true story of what the author went through in Auschwitz.

based on the events of.

GOD I'm being a brat today he he he.

I think it's mostly autobiographical but anyway.

Totally read Night. Especially when they forgot to say Kaddish...Maybe 1/2 into the book.

http://www.btinternet.com/~ablumsohn/wiesel.htm
  • maverickyanda
    Options

Correct.

There is an entire faction of scientists that will do absolutely anything in order to push a theory that actually *does* disprove a supreme being.

I was going to go into a rant about multiverse theory vs. Intelligent Design, but this is not the place for a debate that will ineviitably turn ugly.

Suffice to say, it's a good book for proponets of Intelligent Design (old world, young Earth creationists will probably not care for it).

Love you guys. :heart:

1) How does evolution disprove a supreme being? Assuming that is the theory that people are "pushing".

2) Where is this faction of scientists and how do I find them if that is not what you are speaking of. Is there a group of people that have a God is Nonsensical Project?

How do you disprove something that you cannot see, feel, hear, taste, or see in nature?

I'm not trying to be a turd. I'm just curious...if there really is a faction of scientists who are out to prove that God doesn't exist.

That in itself goes against science.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options

He he he.

(Unless you want to hear about the end of the world, drinking, drugs, *kitten*, a religion where all religions are lies and secret formulas to get rid of mud!)

bill clinton wrote a book called GIVING...... now thats funny :laugh:
  • beep
    Options

Theories are always technically just speculation in everyday language, but in science, have been tested again and again that they sustain enough evidence (fact) to become (and remain) theories.

So "non-provable theory" doesn't make sense. I'm not trying to harp. I was raised in a household of science. I get offended when people go, "Oh scientists!! Peh!! They hate God, are stupid (for their stupid Ph.Ds) and don't believe in Intelligent Design) and ya ya."

Theory, in science, is something - a set of facts so well established researched and tested- that explains the phenomena of the world and in nature. Theories (ie, Relativity, Gravity) are used to formulate new theories and mathematical equations.

ID isn't a theory.

Nor is it empirical data. That's the stuff that academia uses...stats, more or less.

Sorry, you're absolutely right.. I shouldn't have used "non-provable" (the problem with writing too fast and not thinking things out...) What I shouldn't have used "theory" either, but "ideas." I think the most important thing is to keep an open mind.
  • beep
    Options

He he he.

Well, concerning Intelligent Design, I do believe the universe has order versus chaos and I do believe in God. But I also believe it's a scientist's job to figure out the how of it.

Giving... Bill Clinton :laugh: :laugh: I obviously don't get out much... I should have recognized that. Actually the formula to get rid of mud sounds interesting :laugh: :laugh:
  • beep
    Options

I really appreciate Elie Wiesel. I took a Jewish History class in college, and spent a better part of many days after class sobbing in my car. Inhumanity to humanity... and some think it will never happen again, and yet day by day it is happening all over the world; one people trying to eliminate another people....
  • paul82682
    paul82682 Posts: 48
    Options
    a book called The 5 Love Languages- easy to read, hard to put down, and yes, it's a book about relationships. it's actually a pretty insightful look into human behavior inside close intimate relationships, such as husband and wife, although the author does touch on relationships between parents and children too. i highly recommend picking up a copy. and then reading it.
  • paul82682
    Options
    ...and some think it will never happen again, and yet day by day it is happening all over the world; one people trying to eliminate another people....

sounds like survival of the fittest to me.

sorry i don't guess that's all that funny now that i've written it down.
  • maverickyanda
    Options

ID isn't a theory.

Sorry, you're absolutely right.. I shouldn't have used "non-provable" (the problem with writing too fast and not thinking things out...) What I shouldn't have used "theory" either, but "ideas." I think the most important thing is to keep an open mind.

My mouth is on fire from eating crushed red pepper on my carrots mmmmmmmmm oooooooooh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ! !

Well I don't want to go round and round but in science, what is not provable is, I guess, an idea, and what is provable is a theory because theories have been tested and tested again. Science isn't truth.

ID is not a theory, nor is it really science, because it's not testable, but it can make for pretty poetry.

anny
    wayyy

Theory in English language is idea, speculation, etc. It's different in science. So when people say, "Well evolution is just a THEORY," it gives the wrong impression.

Re: Chaos. Science is order, not chaos, and if you want, we can get into physics because by "chaos" I assume you mean the discovery that the universe is expanding?

Re: Mud. That actually becomes the basis of half the book. He he.

Re: Holocaust. Yes, definitely an appetite suppresant. :s

HOLY MOLY I NEED WATER!!
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    ...and some think it will never happen again, and yet day by day it is happening all over the world; one people trying to eliminate another people....

Tell it to my grandparents.

No, it isn't funny.
  • paul82682
    Options

Tell it to my grandparents.

No, it isn't funny.

no, i know it's not- unless you have a somewhat dark and twisted sense of humor. it just popped into my head i think from reading all of the posts on science and theory. and evolution was mentioned somewhere in there and i think that "survival of the fittest" is a common phrase used in conjunction with that particular theory. then the talk of one group of people wiping out another group- i guess i just tied it all together in some crazy way. i'm not necessarily a supporter of that particular way of thinking, just maybe playing a bit of devil's advocate. in a world where there is no God and only the strong survive, what's wrong with getting rid of a few of the weak links? they're only bringing down the rest of the species anyways, right?
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options

ID isn't a theory.

My mouth is on fire from eating crushed red pepper on my carrots mmmmmmmmm oooooooooh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ! !

Well I don't want to go round and round but in science, what is not provable is, I guess, an idea, and what is provable is a theory because theories have been tested and tested again. Science isn't truth.

ID is not a theory, nor is it really science, because it's not testable, but it can make for pretty poetry.

anny
    wayyy

Theory in English language is idea, speculation, etc. It's different in science. So when people say, "Well evolution is just a THEORY," it gives the wrong impression.

Re: Chaos. Science is order, not chaos, and if you want, we can get into physics because by "chaos" I assume you mean the discovery that the universe is expanding?

Re: Mud. That actually becomes the basis of half the book. He he.

Re: Holocaust. Yes, definitely an appetite suppresant. :s

HOLY MOLY I NEED WATER!!

*sigh*

I am so torn about commenting on this....I wish I just hadn't even put down that I was reading it.

*takes deep breath*

It's so hard not to get drawn into a debate when you feel so strongly about these things.

I guess, what I should say is, no, I'm not a stupid redneck that can't appreciate science for what it is.

No, I'm not saying that all scientists are opposed to Intelligent Design, or the prospect of one.

No, I'm not so hardheaded and close minded to forego science in favor of myth.

Yes, I do appreciate hard facts.

*Ok, I just wrote a huge paragraph concerning my thoughts and feelings on this, but you know, my love for this community outweights my desire to be 'right'. So in the interests of keeping this thread on track, let me just say, yes, I am an old world Intelligent Design proponet. I apologize if my choice of words wasn't what you wanted to hear. I didn't feel that semantics were all that important given the topic was , 'What book are you reading'. I told what I was reading and gave a recommendation to those who might share an interest in it. I didn't tell that to subtley insert a religous debate. So without further ado, allow the thread on books continue. I'm out.*

-J
  • Sherona
    Sherona Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It is my favorite book of ALL TIMES and i read it 2 times per year.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I JUST fininshed reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch.... it was a good read
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Anything by Jonathan Safran Foer. He's a fabulous writer.