Looking for maintenance guidance

Options
The biggest reason that I started using MFP is not to lose weight, but to help in my transition from dieting to maintaining my weight. In the past, I've proven that I'm capable of losing weight, and capable of gaining weight. I don't know that I've ever really shown that I can maintain my weight at a good level.

I'm quickly approaching the weight that I would like to maintain. My plan is to start to slowly add back calories over the course of a few weeks so I don't just store up all those extra calories and put 5 pounds right back on. I'm currently eating 950 calories less than my estimated usage. During my transition, the plan for week one is 750 calories under, then 550 calories under, etc.

I'm looking for some advice from someone who has successfully gone from dieting to maintenance. If you have any tips, they would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to find myself at the same place I started in a year.

thanks,
Doug

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hey, Doug! Welcome and congrats on your success. There is a thread specifically dedicated to those on or near maintenance. Look over in the Motivation and Support section for "Maintenance Thread". Lots fo good tips there from us who have been there. It's not as easy as most psople think!

By the way, I think what you're doing is a good plan. Most recommend to re-introduce calories slowly to avoid gaining. Just make sure they're healthy calories - it's not an excuse to eat Twinkies every day! :smile:

Good luck!