Additional calories received from exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since about January, so I'm really pleased with my results! 140 is a lot to lose, but I know you can do it! Just stick with it and like you said take it 1 day at a time and then the days and weeks add up and b4 u know it u'll be down 48lbs too! lol :)
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Well I think it depends on your initial weight and deficits. Some people have more to play with than others. Me. Not so much.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well I think it depends on your initial weight and deficits. Some people have more to play with than others. Me. Not so much.

That's actually true...I just bumped the "Acceptable Caloric Deficits" discussion back up, and it contains an interesting equation with which to determine the best deficit based on body fat. An individual with a high amount of body fat can withstand a higher deficit, but there are limitations. Sometimes the equation will come up with a very large deficit that wouldn't be appropriate without doctor supervision. In any case, the article is pretty interesting.
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since about January, so I'm really pleased with my results! 140 is a lot to lose, but I know you can do it! Just stick with it and like you said take it 1 day at a time and then the days and weeks add up and b4 u know it u'll be down 48lbs too! lol :)

Aw, thanks for the words of support. :heart: You're so sweet. Up to this point, I was always 'dieting' and always gaining. Now I know why, I was starving my body. Well now I'm being nice to my body, and it's returning the favor! :laugh: So I know I can do it too, and it always helps to hear stories like yours. If you can do it, so can I!

Ange :flowerforyou:
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is...

If you eat to few calories your body metabolism will go into starvation mode and it will become more difficult to lose fat. So be safe, eat your excercise calories.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    When I exercise, I usually run 10 minutes on the treadmill at 5.0-5.8 and then do 45 minutes of what is called the 'apple' program from the Fitness magazine that came out a couple months ago. So, I usually work out a total of 1 hour 3-4 times per week. But i've noticed that strength exercises do not add up to calories burned. How are some of you burning 600-700 calories per day? What exercises are you doing to burn so much?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    When I exercise, I usually run 10 minutes on the treadmill at 5.0-5.8 and then do 45 minutes of what is called the 'apple' program from the Fitness magazine that came out a couple months ago. So, I usually work out a total of 1 hour 3-4 times per week. But i've noticed that strength exercises do not add up to calories burned. How are some of you burning 600-700 calories per day? What exercises are you doing to burn so much?

I wear my HRM rather than using MFP as it's more accurate. Strength training does burn calories, but there's a glitch in MFP so you have to put it in under Cardiovascular activities. I lift for 40-60 min a day and run/stairmill/elliptical for 30-60 min a day. On the low end I burn 400-600 cals, on the high end I have burnt up to 1000. Just depends on what I have planned for the day.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I ride my bicycle every other day and try for at least 10 miles--most days I now I do 15 to 20--and that burns anywhere from 400 to 700 calories.