How to record Zumba

Options
going to try Zumba along w/ my EA Active. How do I know how many calories burned with the Zumba DVDs? I have searched the internet and everything says it depends on different variables. I just want an average idea for each DVD so that I can record it on Myfitnesspal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    going to try Zumba along w/ my EA Active. How do I know how many calories burned with the Zumba DVDs? I have searched the internet and everything says it depends on different variables. I just want an average idea for each DVD so that I can record it on Myfitnesspal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    For accurate personal cal burn you'll want to purchase a heart rate monitor so you tell how much your own body burns personally while working out. Each of us will burn off different amounts of cals depending on age, weight, effort we put into our workouts etc.:flowerforyou:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    INVEST in a Heart Rate Monitor. That is the only way to know for sure. It all depends on age, height, weight and fitness level. Otherswise it is a guess.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I've just guesstimated based on how I've felt with other workouts and what I've read on the range of average burn for someone about my size. I figure it's between 6-800 cals per hour so I met in the middle with 700 (10 cals per minute, I think it works out to?) I'm NOW 135, 5'1".

Until I eventually get an HRM, this is the best I can come up with. Good luck!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I've just guesstimated based on how I've felt with other workouts and what I've read on the range of average burn for someone about my size. I figure it's between 6-800 cals per hour so I met in the middle with 700 (10 cals per minute, I think it works out to?) I'm NOW 135, 5'1".

Until I eventually get an HRM, this is the best I can come up with. Good luck!

Thats probably not a bad estimate. My wife is a zumba instructor, she's 5'2", 40 yrs old, weighs 110, and does about 600 on avg per 1-hour class. But as everyone has said, a good HRM would be a nice investment.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts -- definitely invest in a heart rate monitor. I have one from Polar, which I've had for a few years, and it works great. I don't even notice the strap around my torso, anymore.

For my Zumba classes, I figured I was probably burning in the middle of the range that people mentioned online. So I thought I might have been around 500 calories. To my surprise, the first time I recorded, I had burned 810 calories in one hour of Zumba!

So it really does depend on your body type, weight, and the effort you put in.

Happy dancing!

-Trish
  • wannbAhottie
    wannbAhottie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    according to my heart rate monitor I burn about 600 Cals for a 45 min class, some day's it's less some days it's a little more. I still have about 45 lbs to loose... I hope this all helps. It seems like it's about the same average for everyone. But I agree with investing in a heart rate monitor, it has really helped me with knowing what Im burning or NOT burning.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend a heart rate monitor. With Zumba it depends on how high impact I've gone on the day. I usually record anywhere between 550-750 calories for an hour class.

Have fun with it, though; Zumba always makes me smiley :)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Marc: thanks!

A decent HRM that has a calorie converter is not cheap (I've looked). I, for one, can't afford one at the moment so I never make the assumption that everyone else can either. Therefore, I do my best to come up with a reasonable calculation based on alot of research.