Diet coke or other diet drinks

Options
At night is when I crave food, due to boredom, habit or stress so keep them at bay or my hands occupied I sip slowly on a can of diet coke (or diet dr pepper, or whatever I fancy at the time) and it works and thats what I did last time I lost 2 stone (but then put it all back on adain!)
I still drink water throughout the day, its just that one can at night, but I've been told that its really bad for you and can make you gain weight or crave more food and all these bad things that now I feel guilty having it!!

Is it so bad? And if I stopped it would I lose faster? (although what would I do to stop the munchies!)

Replies

• Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me, I drink hot green tea with splenda instead. It feels me up, and its very good for you. Diet sodas are bad for you, but so is alot of things. Just slowly stop drinking them. you will lose faster without them. or snack on small portions of fruit.
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    95%of the time the diet drinks have more sodium (when they take stuff out they add stuff in) to keep the taste. You also have to watch the diet drinks for what ingrediants they have in it. One is known to mimic MS. If you need to drink something try the green tea, or just tea in general. Best is water. At least your hands are busy and you're filling up on better stuff than diet pop or pop in general.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The brain interprets artificial sweeteners to be the same as natural sugars. So insulin gets released which stops the body from burning fat. Insulin tells the kidneys and liver to use sugar from your blood for energy instead of metabolizing fat. If your blood sugar level gets too low your brain sends hunger signals, making you eat more to counter the hypoglycemia.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I've lost weight faster without any soda at all. I've found that not only that but other improvements with quitting soda. Better skin, I sleep better, more energy. I really used to laugh at people that said soda was a poison to the body but now I truly believe they are on to something.
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the best thing but I still drink diet Mt. Dew. Not every day maybe only once a week. I can't tell any difference in speed of weight loss when I drink it or stop drinking it.
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    In my experience, I've lost weight faster without any soda at all. I've found that not only that but other improvements with quitting soda. Better skin, I sleep better, more energy. I really used to laugh at people that said soda was a poison to the body but now I truly believe they are on to something.

I can't agree more - I am in the process right now of elminiating it all together - I have 2 cans left but trying to space it out as a treat when I reach weekly goals! But once it's gone it's gone!
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink diet anything carbonated. It is packed full of sugars, that just makes you want more! At least, for me that is. I haven't had pop for about two weeks now, and I don't miss it at all, it did a hell of a job on my face (ICK) and I've noticed that I don't feel so bloated from the fizzy goodness.
  • Ladyloraella
    Ladyloraella Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...I'll just need to wean myself off them then!! And find something else instead. I hate tea, all tea...it just tastes like dirty water to me!
  • jcch00
    jcch00 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to go against all of the other posters here, but I drink 2-3 cans (max.) of diet soda a day. It hasn't prevented me from losing any weight and I've lost roughly 50 lbs. since last summer. I drink about 100 oz. of water daily, so I don't feel guilty in the least for my soda intake. As long as I'm eating healthy, exercising, and drinking more water than anything else I don't see anything wrong with a soda every now and then. I think of it as my daily treat.
  • Ladyloraella
    Ladyloraella Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ah well see thats how I see it! I drink my litre and half of water a day, the diet coke is just to stop me from nibbling at night!!
  • Sunshine0107
    Options
    I don't mean to go against all of the other posters here, but I drink 2-3 cans (max.) of diet soda a day. It hasn't prevented me from losing any weight and I've lost roughly 50 lbs. since last summer. I drink about 100 oz. of water daily, so I don't feel guilty in the least for my soda intake. As long as I'm eating healthy, exercising, and drinking more water than anything else I don't see anything wrong with a soda every now and then. I think of it as my daily treat.

I drink 1 a day and have lost over 115 pounds, so I agree with you.
  • RachelJoyce
    Options
    I drink diet coke all the time and its never harmed me or my diet, if anything it helps stop my hunger as its fizzy and bloats me up, prob not good for my body but ive managed to keep my weight off a year and im now starting up my diet again now its new year and will still continue to drink diet cokes