Help! I screwed up.

Options
2»

Replies

• taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to "lessons learned", brush your teeth, and start over tomorrow!

What she said. You tried to estimate appropriate portions but learnt that the meal was more caloric than you guessed -- no one does this perfectly right away!

"Taking it one day at a time" is a useful approach to achieve slow, long-term goals and stick it through. But I sometimes feel it can backfire, as in "I screwed up THIS day already. so why not pig out while I'm at it". It might be helpful to think of your calorie goal not (only) on a daily, but also on a weekly basis. So IF you mess up one day, despite your effort. exercise a little more, eat 200 cal less the next day if you can. For this, I find it useful to have my regular calorie goal not too low (mine is currently 1400-1500) so that I CAN go under if I want without getting into the realm where my metabolism dials itself down.
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've lost 150 pounds and I know I've had days like this. Trust me you will be okay, keep ur head up and press forward.
  • Zumbalady808
    Options
    I've got a perfect excercise for you ZUMBA, try it you'll love it and you will burn some mega calories while your at it...... It will change your whole mind set about screwing up today, your okay... It is actually okay to mess up one day, just jump back in with both feet tommorrow..... If you interested in learning about Zumba message me, and if your really interested in attending a class go to ZUMBA.COM for a class near you!!!!

I've love 70 pounds in 9 months!!!!! Now I'm Zumba Teacher!!!!
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    I've got a perfect excercise for you ZUMBA, try it you'll love it and you will burn some mega calories while your at it...... It will change your whole mind set about screwing up today, your okay... It is actually okay to mess up one day, just jump back in with both feet tommorrow..... If you interested in learning about Zumba message me, and if your really interested in attending a class go to ZUMBA.COM for a class near you!!!!

I've love 70 pounds in 9 months!!!!! Now I'm Zumba Teacher!!!!
    What do you think of Zimbabwe fitness on the Xbox?
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ok, listen up...have to be tuff here. I have been dieting since I was 8 years old, I am 41 now. In the past I had the worst diet mentality EVER! I was so bad that if I had even took a drink of regular soda by mistake I would spit it out and freak out thinking that i blew my diet and that was it for me. I was like that for many many years and you know what it, it doesn't work. Today my thinking has changed and for the better. On most days I try to stay within a 1400 calorie range even if that means I want to 2 cookies, I have it, but it's in the calorie range for the day, On some days, I go out to eat and I have what I want such as a burrtio from Baja Fresh and that has alot of calories and you know what, it's ok, I eat light the rest of the day but most important, it doesn't mean that I have blown it and it doesn't give me a license to pig out for the rest of the evening either. It's also Ok to eat more calories on some days than others, its suppose to confuse your body. How many times have you fallen off the wagon only to find the scale go down the next day? Changing your diet mentality is key here, believe me I know it's easier said than done. It took me many years to overcome the way I used to be. Throughout my six week since I have started on MFP I have had burriotis 3x's for Baja Fresh, Pizza, cookies, chinese food and other not so low calorie or healthy things and I have lost 25 pounds so far doing it this way. It's ok to eat what you want just do so in moderation. I won't depreive myself and neither should you! Change your way of thinking and change your life! Remember, it's a lifestyle change NOT and ALL or Nothing plan! You can do this, try again tomorrow or start with the next meal.
    Denise
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. We all have days where we "cheat". I know some may disagree, but personally I think it's healthy emotionally/mentally to take a break from the diet on just 1 meal every week or two. I've heard many dietitians recommend 1 "cheat meal" a week while dieting to not only help with any cravings you may be having but also for caloric confusion for your body. Tomorrow is a new day and where you can get back on track. :happy:

Jill

Every word Jill said!

Don't beat yourself up or even feel bad about it. You enjoyed it, didn't you? It's not like you ate something disgusting and used up a bunch of calories. In the grand scheme of things, it won't matter one bit.

You know the saying, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy? And all diet food and no "Ah, screw it! I'm gonna eat what I want!" makes Jack a dull boy, too.
  • Zumbalady808
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but I've only heard good things from it..,... I heard its fun and you can compete and score points making it fun.. It's sold on the Zumba.com website and supported by Beto the creator of Zumba, so I'd say go for it!!!
  • rock810
    rock810 Posts: 17
    Options
    It is one day. Don't stress it. Everyone falls, now get up and keep going.
  • MaggyHouston
    MaggyHouston Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's only one day! Get yourself to the gym or exercise for awhile to burn off what you can! Move, move, move! No one can come between you and this weight loss unless YOU allow it! Hop back on! You can do it!

I love this post - it's too easy to blame other people - I'm soooo guilty of doing it all the time.