Greek Yogurt vrs Goat Yogurt?

Options
I accidently picked up some goat yogurt while looking for greek yogurt the other. While the protein isn't quite as high (but still up there) as greek yogrt, there was 5g of fibre compared to none in the greek yogurt. So which one really is better?

The other problem I have incountered is that I can only find plain greek yogurt which is pretty tart. What are some ways that I can sweeten the taste?

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Really depends what your goals are, I would say. If you are under on fiber- the goat but if you need to build up your protein than the greek.

I havent ever had goat yogurt, but my go-to sweetener is honey. I've heard people use stevia or truvia (the calorieless sweeteners that are supposed to be better than splenda and such)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I use stevia or fruit puree to sweeten up my greek yogurt. Very tasty.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the goat yogurt, doesn't sound very good to me. Lol. I picked up the Greek yogurt with Cucumber and Garlic from Walmart. I love it!
  • Temperantia
    Options
    Goats have less hormones in them so therefore less estrogen. I switched when I got acne because I was having too much estrogen! If that helps at all haha
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I prefer greek. I just add a small amount of honey, you don't need much, and a handful of walnuts. Love the goat cheese though!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I put a little fresh, frozen or dried fruit a few raw salt-free walnuts or pecans, and a bit of granola in my greek yogurt. But breakfast is my biggest meal so I kind of do it up, and I need the fruit and nuts more than the dairy.
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    My friend took plain greek yogurt and added a can of diced pineapple. It was INSANELY indulgent tasting, but actually super low cal and the pineapple pumped up the fiber. Oh - and no fat, either! Kind of the perfect breakfast and/or snack.
  • phish832
    Options
    Use Honey or Cinnamon... i would know... I AM GREEK!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I mix a half serving of plain 0% Greek yogurt with a half serving of regular yogurt or with a sweet fruit like raspberries, blueberries or strawberries. The pineapple idea sounds great too!

Beware though, there are flavoured Greek yogurts out there that are delicious, but bought my first one, tasted it (loved it) and then went to record it and it was 9% fat (very high) and 270 calories per 175g serving (versus 110 for plain 0%) Yikes!!!
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The plain Greek is too much for me...I use it as sour cream and get Vanilla, Strawberry and Blueberry instead for sweetness
  • carlamorris
    carlamorris Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the goat yogurt, doesn't sound very good to me. Lol. I picked up the Greek yogurt with Cucumber and Garlic from Walmart. I love it!

i live in greece and the yougurt that has cucumber and garlic is called tzatziki we use it on bread , fries , and meat. Yess it is very good . as for the yogurt you want, i like the greek over goat . since i live here i get all kinds with fruit in it but there are some times when my friends make homemade yougart and i put strawberry or blueberry into
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I find plain much better, as I can always put sugar *in*, but it's hard to get it *out* from the pre-sweetened stuff.

I tend to avoid 0% yogurt. Artificially fat-free anything, in fact. The Fage Total 2% strained Greek yogurt is very mellow, and at 120 cal for a (very large) 170g portion (1 pot here where I live), doesn't break the bank. I don't need sugar or honey in it, though I sometimes take 1 tsp, or a small dollop of Maple Syrup. But 95% of the time it's just some fruit, a bit high fiber cereal or a flaxseed/berries/cocoa mix I bought at the health food store.
  • 1Meggers
    1Meggers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Though I love honey (and use it frequently), I find that flavor of raw organic agave is a much more compatible with the Greek yogurt.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    GOAT yogurt?!?! Whaaaa
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Goat yoghurt has a wonderfully mild taste, I often have it as an alternative to Greek.