Meal Ideas...please!

Options
I need help figuring out what kinds of foods to eat that will be both healthy and filling. I'm under my calorie goal today, but I don't feel happy with everything i've eaten today. My breakfast started out really good, but I blew it with lunch. Help!

Replies

• ClaudiaHong
    Options
    If u just google healthy recipes there will be hundreds of sites. The one I quite like is Spark Recipes .com.
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am eating a lot of sandwiches, wraps and soups. There is not an extreme amount of prep work with the sandwiches and wraps, and the soups last through many meals or are easily frozen.

For healthy real food, you have to take a look at this site, www.skinnytaste.com. She puts weight watcher points (which I don't use, but she also has nutritional info). I have tried two recipes this past week, and my husband (VERY picky eater) has raved about both.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I suggest try the library for some healthy cookbooks or even youtube for recipes stick with lean meats baked or grilled and LOTS of veggies ...I dont know what you currently eat but try switching out bad snacks for raw fruits and veggies and switch your drinks with calories to water..small changes will help
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    I use http://www.eatingwell.com/ to find recipes. There are some really great recipes! Good luck!
  • KimBledsoe
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'll look at both of those sites.
  • nlassite
    nlassite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I eat about 6 times a day: Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Dinner, and Snack. They are not large meals.
    I like to eat CHICKEN QUESADILLA using spinach wraps and low sodium mix to season the chicken.
    I make pizzas out of wheat pita bread. I have used turkey pepperoni but I cheat and eat it with regular pepperoni. Turkey pepperoni taste fine.
    I like pita sandwiches as well with wheat bread of course.
    I plan of trying wheat pasta soon.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I think healthy and filling, I think of eggs. They are so versatile and healthy. There are a million ways to have them for breakfast, but then for lunch, you can add them to a salad or have along with tuna, or just a plain ol' hard boiled egg. For dinner you can make a healthier omelette with tomatoes, avocado, and bell peppers or even a quiche with lots of veggies, especially nutrient rich ones like broccoli.

I hope that helps. Everytime I feel stuck for something easy, healthy, filling, and cheap... eggs are my friend. :)
  • KimBledsoe
    Options
    Thanks!
  • arbtigger
    arbtigger Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A great site is All Recipes.com. They have a healthy cooking section: http://allrecipes.com/Features/healthy-cooking-winter.aspx . You can even sign up for a healthy cooking newsletter and they will email you recipes.
  • xxscissorqueenxx
    Options
    Starch...(Potatoes)!!! This is the perfect "side"dish with your dinner! It'll keep you full longer than anything else. Also, wholegrain bread, brown rice, and bananas are filling as well. Beans are a great side dish as well! Pasta (whole-grain) is a great dinner choice! The grains fill you up, and if you eat penne pasta (or something with holes)...it allows you to take in more air, filling you up faster!

As for snacks, POPCORN is the key!!! So instead of icecream, or candy, or something like that...go for the popcorn! It's actually pretty healthy, until you add all the butter and salt! And it's delicious without it :)
    Also, Peanuts are a great snack!

Soup is the perfect lunch dish! Even if you eat it before you eat a sandwich! The soup improves satiety so you eat less and take in fewer calories as a result! A soup and salad, would be the perfect lunch to stay full till dinnertime!

Eggs make for a good breakfast! They're supposed to stop hunger from kicking in so fast after your first meal, causing you to eat less and still feel alright!

Hope that helped in some form or fashion!!!
    Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like!

-Melissa-
  • KimBledsoe
    Options
    Okay, it looks like I'll be eating lots of soups, wraps, sandwiches, and potatoes! Thanks for all of the input. Can't wait to go to the grocery store!
  • amandadrsg
    amandadrsg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about making it between meals, you shouldn't limit yourself to 3 meals a day. Grazing is actually much healthier as it keeps your blood sugar level, and amps up your metabolism. The best way to graze is pack a small cooler/lunch bag with different whole foods like sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes, grapes, cherries, celery, carrots, raw almonds, tuna with lemon juice and pepper, a boiled egg with a tablespoon of organic salsa, etc. If you graze you won't need to eat huge meals, and you'll be satisfied. It's not that you're 'stuffing' your face but keeping yourself level.

That being said, if you prefer the 3-meals/day with 2 snacks in between apples are a GREAT source of fiber and vitamins. Also, the whole "apple a day keeps the doctor away" has some truth to do. I can't remember where I read it, but there's been studies done about people who consume 1-2 medium apples per day (with skin) are more likely to lose weight faster than people who don't eat them at all.

If you're going to eat potatoes do NOT load them up with butter, sour cream, etc. small potato about the size of a baseball with some organic salsa is a good alternative to the ones the size of your husband's universal remote loaded to the brim with fattening calorie laden junk.
  • ClaudiaHong
    Options
    You really should stay away from anything made with white processed flour. Try to eat whole, natural food, not packaged, processed, artificial, refined junk.

Rather have brown rice, Potatoes are great, but i'd stay away from bread, wraps etc or at least limit these to once a week.

Remember to keep your protein - lean meat, chicken , fish, eggs and healthy fats - nuts avocado, olive oil etc
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    I need help figuring out what kinds of foods to eat that will be both healthy and filling. I'm under my calorie goal today, but I don't feel happy with everything i've eaten today. My breakfast started out really good, but I blew it with lunch. Help!

This is a plan I followed several years ago and was successful at shredding 50 pounds.

Here are the four simple rules I followed…

Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates
    Avoid any carbohydrate that is — or can be — white. The following foods are thus prohibited, except for within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length: bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating anything white, you’ll be safe.

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again
    The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. Mix and match, constructing each meal with one from each of the three following groups:
    Proteins:
    Egg whites with one whole egg for flavor
    Chicken breast or thigh
    Grass-fed organic beef
    Pork
    Legumes:
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Pinto beans
    Vegetables:
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Peas
    Mixed vegetables
    Eat as much as you like of the above food items. Just remember: keep it simple. Pick three or four meals and repeat them. Almost all restaurants can give you a salad or vegetables in place of french fries or potatoes. Surprisingly, I have found Mexican food, swapping out rice for vegetables, to be one of the cuisines most conducive to the “slow carb” diet.
    Most people who go on “low” carbohydrate diets complain of low energy and quit, not because such diets can’t work, but because they consume insufficient calories. A 1/2 cup of rice is 300 calories, whereas a 1/2 cup of spinach is 15 calories! Vegetables are not calorically dense, so it is critical that you add legumes for caloric load.
    Some athletes eat 6-8x per day to break up caloric load and avoid fat gain. I think this is ridiculously inconvenient. I eat 4x per day:
    10am – breakfast
    1pm – lunch
    5pm – smaller second lunch
    7:30-9pm – sports training
    10pm – dinner
    12am – glass of wine and Discovery Channel before bed

Rule #3: Don’t drink calories
    Drink massive quantities of water and as much unsweetened iced tea, tea, diet sodas, coffee (without white cream), or other no-calorie/low-calorie beverages as you like. Do not drink milk, normal soft drinks, or fruit juice. I’m a wine fanatic and have at least one glass of wine each evening, which I believe actually aids sports recovery and fat-loss. Recent research into resveratrol supports this.

Rule #4: Take one day off per week - I DON"T FOLLOW THIS TO THE LETTER AS I TENDED TO GAIN WEIGHT.
    I recommend Saturdays as your “Dieters Gone Wild” day. I am allowed to eat whatever I want on Saturdays, and I go out of my way to eat ice cream, Snickers, Take 5, and all of my other vices in excess. I make myself a little sick and don’t want to look at any of it for the rest of the week. Paradoxically, dramatically spiking caloric intake in this way once per week increases fat loss by ensuring that your metabolic rate (thyroid function, etc.) doesn’t downregulate from extended caloric restriction. That’s right: eating pure crap can help you lose fat. Welcome to Utopia.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    It's hard at first to feel full when you drastically cut your calorie intake. Try to eat proteins, like some others posted. Eggs, almonds, cashews, peanuts, and nearly all beans (kidney, garbanzo, cannelini,) are going to give you more "bang for your caloric buck." Also watch your sugars. Sugars cause insuline spikes, whilch cause hunger cravings - usually for something not healthy. As some others posted, try to eat brown rice, whole wheat or whole grain pastas. They are complex carbs, and they usually have protein and take longer to break down in your system, which leaves you fuller longer. The white starchy carbs turn right into sugar, which is going to store as fat. I've been eating whole wheat past and brown rice for a couple of years. It's pretty good, actually.

Some things we eat a lot in my house:

3-bean chicken chili (I put raw onion, reduced fat sour cream & a sprinkle of cheese over it)
    grilled chicken with baked sweet potato and steamed or oven roasted veggies (I use Olivio spread instead of butter)
    grilled chicken with whole wheat pasta, tomato sauce & fat free feta cheese (or sometimes just olive oil, salt & pepper)
    grilled chicken or steak over a salad w/oil & vinegar (try different types of vinegar - my new fave is rice wine vinegar)
    Greek meatballs (chicken meatballs w/spinach & fat free feta cheese inside) over whole wheat spaghetti w/sauce
    roast turkey breast w/baked potato and veggies (we use leftovers for sandwiches or on salads)

I really love to cook, and have always enjoyed eating healthy foods, but I'm a bad snacker and am bad with portion sizes. This has been my challenge while dieting - cutting back on my portions. But in doing that, I'm also increasing the number of times I eat in a day, so I'm not quite as hungry because I'm eating more frequently. I still indulge in popcorn, and the thing that keeps me from drenching it in butter is "kernel seasons" butter seasoning. I think it was sent from heaven. I LOVE IT! I don't even miss the butter. Of course, I had to cut in half the amount of popcorn I've been eating, but I'm getting used to it.

If you have any questions about my recipes, just let me know. Also, if you have a favorite recipe, I'm pretty good at tweaking it to sub in healthier items so it's still tasty.

Good luck!