Help me get to 1200!

widmer3
widmer3 Posts: 94 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I've been tracking my calories for nearly a week now and I seem to be consistantly under the recommended amount. I eat lots of salads, oatmeal, greek yogurt, and only fruits for snacks, and I've been losing weight, but at the end of the day, I've only eaten around 850 calories, so I basically force myself to eat some ice cream to get myself up to 1000.

What should I add to my daily diet to bump it up without bumping up fat or sugar?? I'm almost scared to eat more!

Replies

• carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Eat a handful of nuts. Almonds, peanuts, cashews or whatever you like best. They're calorie dense and contain lots of protein, fiber and healthy fats. Get the unsalted ones if you're watching your sodium. They'll do your body a lot more good than scarfing down a bowl of Ben & Jerry's!
  • Don't be scared to eat. Your body needs fuel to lose weight. Try protein - eggs, lean chicken, fish, etc. You get calories without a lot of the fat. You don't want to fill up the extra calories with ice cream when you can eat better foods. I'm sure others will have more ideas for you, too.
  • Protein in a great way to add calories without the fat. Consider adding 2 oz more daily. Nuts like almonds are high as well and a good source of fiber plus very healthy for you in moderation
  • jenn50
    jenn50 Posts: 81
    in the middle of the day eat something with a lot of calories. i say mid of day that way if for some reason you get close to getting over you have a chance to work out. but start throwing in an unhealthy snack. i don't really worry about what i eat as long as im in my calories.
  • sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Posts: 10 Member
    lol such discipline....i wish i could be trying to add more calories, i'm always trying to fight the urge to go over 1,200-1,400!

you could do a smoothie in the morning, almonds added to your snack (they have some fat, but good fat & they are so good for you!)

and make sure you are eating every 2-3 hours....maybe add another snack in there somewhere :-)
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Hey there! I'm having the same problem. My doctor put me on a 1100 calorie diet and when I told him that I was coming in under almost every day he said that as long as I wasn't feeling hungry, fatigued, or dizzy then I was fine. Eventually, your body will get to a point where it will want more food and then you start adding meals in periodically during the day. He said that the important thing is listening to your body and making sure you don't feel deprived. Hope that helps! :)
This discussion has been closed.