Side cramps while running

Options
Recently I switched from the treadmill to running outside (just got so bored of the treadmill). I have started to get frequent side cramps that can be bad enough that I stop running to walk. If I try to start running again the cramps come back. What is going on and is there anything I can do to prevent/treat these?

Replies

• RainyDayProphet
    Options
    One of the best ways I've found to prevent a side cramp is to take deep, full breaths from your stomach while running.

Temperature can play a part in it too. I know when it's colder outside I get hit with them faster than when it's neutral or warm.

Sometimes stretching before you exercise can help.

Good luck!
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    running outside is significantly more strenuous than running on the treadmill, because you don't have a motor outside and you have to carry your own body weight. You likely won't be able to do the same distance outside as you would on the treadmill. I used to have cramps quite a bit as well. I found that if I concentrated on my breathing and tried to take deep even breathes (rather than short quick ones -which we tend to do when we run) the cramps improved immensley. Running shouldn't hurt. If you have to walk, then walk. If it is painful, you will likely not enjoy your workout!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    make sure you drink water through out the day and before your run and while your running! the treadmill is not boring you just need to know how to use it to your advantage!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem - and looked it up in a textbook I had from a previous nutrition and fitness class I took recently in college. I hope this helps!

The side pain is called a stitch. It's usually blamed on food or fluid in the digestive system, but it may be due to the tugging of ligaments that attach the gut to the diaphragm.

When you get the side stitch, lean forward while sitting and attempt to push the abdominal muscle organs up against the diaphragm. The book also mentions exhaling through pursed lips and tightening a belt around the waist as being effective treatments.