Dandelion Greens

Options
So my husband came home the other day and brought dandelion greens. What?! Oh my are they awesome! I use them in my fruit and veggie drinks, salads, I even chopped them up and added it to chicken while cooking. A must try for those tired of the same greens...

Replies

• jessimacar
    Options
    I just find it amusing that we can buy in a grocery store, the same product people spend a lot of money to kill from their lawns during the summer! Lol.

They are quite good though! They make a great snack/salad! :)
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Dandelion is a natural diuretic so the added bonus is that it may help with water retention too :-)
  • dieselveins
    dieselveins Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Should try this sometime soon..
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I actually allow my 'lawn' to become full of them...I don't use any pesticides or herbisides on my property. They are so tasty.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Something so simple... I never thought of harvesting my own!*LOL* I also do NOT use pesticides or fertilizers in my yard, so I guess it should be okay to eat.... I do live in a development, so I'm not sure what my neighbors put on their yards, though.....

Shannon
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Is it just the green leaves that you eat? I've never tried them, but I have heard before about people eating them. Any ideas of how to eat them? And what part exactly do you eat?

Thanks!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    We bought the greens at the market it just long stems with leaves. I found a site the other day when doing a search his wild ones the flowers are ok steamed but bitter... the stems anything goes. Chop for cooking, steam, add to salads, and my fave is putting it in my fruit/veggie smoothie drinks.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Dandelion greens are very useful and has so many benefits including being a diuretic, there is also a dandelion tea out there as well. The tea on it's own isn't the greatest tasting I usually add mint to it. When I was a kid I had a plantar wart nothing would get rid but the milk from the dandelion steam. Keep that in mind for the summer, I'm sure there are more benefits than the two that were mentioned BUT those are two that stick out for me. Leaves are pretty good in a salad though I must admit.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    One other thing that's really tasty and easy to grow... dill! I tried a few sprigs in my salad the other day and it was deliciously zingy. It packs a lot of flavor, but it doesn't taste like a dill pickle either. Hard to explain, but try it sometime!

Shannon