confused about my weight?!?!

Options
i weigh myself the same time when i wake up every morning, and this past week it seems to be about a pound lower a day, but then at the end of the day my weight has consistently stayed the same. i can't tell if i'm actually losing weight or not! thoughts?!

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing yourself at the end of the day too? That weight will vary on what you've eaten, when, how much water you have in you, etc. Weighing in in the morning, before you eat but after you use the bathroom is the most accurate I find.
  • jesseroyal
    jesseroyal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    3500 calories = 1 pound. high sodium may cause water retention. Also, if you are not used to drinking a lot of water and have recently been drinking an increased amount that could be part of it. It will even out.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm confused too. Do you weigh yourself in the evening too? If you're going to weigh yourself every day, just weigh yourself in the morning. If that number goes down, then yes, you did lose weight. If the number in the evening goes up, that doesn't mean anything. You can gain up to 5 lbs in a day because of water intake, food, etc.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You're going to drive yourself crazy if you weight your self every day - or twice a day.
    I personally weight every Monday morning before I get in the shower. And that's the only time I weight myself.
    Keeps me sane and also keeps me on track for the weekends knowing that Monday is my weigh in.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself every day, it's just going to stress you out. I weigh myself and take body measurements once a week. If you're one of those people that can't stay away from the scale, I hear that taking a rolling 7 day average works well too.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Only weigh yourself in the morning, don't worry about at night -- that's when you'll be a higher weight because you're holding water from exercise and you've eaten all day. BAD time to weigh, hon!!! Also, you probably don't need to be weighing everyday. Weigh once a week and log what you see ONE time.
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Weighing in daily is not recommended. Your weight will vary throughout the day for lots of reasons including those mentioned by BOGmama2010. You should weigh in once a week at the same time each week wearing the same items of clothes or preferably just your underwear

Also, weighing yourself first thing is not recommended as you will always be lighter when you first wake after a nights sleep. You will not be getting a true reading as you would once you have been awake and up a few hrs.

Paul
  • jessicalhall85
    Options
    a lot of people say not to weigh in everyday. but i do it too. I do it to keep me going. to let me know if i need to change anything or whatever. I would say don't worry about your night time weigh in only about your morning one. if it works for you and it doesnt stress you out really bad and its not an obsession...there is no harm done.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Why weigh at night? Then you have all of your day's undigested food and liquid (and the actual weight of those food items) adding to your "true" weight... of course it will be higher!

Weigh at the same time in the same conditions. When I weigh, it is in the nude, in the morning, after I use the restroom, and before I've had anything to eat or drink... if I weigh again at night- I'm likely to be "up" 5 pounds or more just because of the weight of the undigested food!
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my weight can fluctuate up to 4 pounds from my morning weight. I weigh every morning, without fail, but that's to see if I've had too much sodium. But you can't take it too seriously if you're going to weigh every day. And don't weigh at night. If you want to weigh daily, take it with a grain of salt, but as long as you see a decrease at the end of the week, that's what matters.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I weigh every morning (I just can't help myself!) but I'm only logging them every Monday morning. Try not to stress yourself out about it. :)
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    a lot of people say not to weigh in everyday. but i do it too. I do it to keep me going. to let me know if i need to change anything or whatever. I would say don't worry about your night time weigh in only about your morning one. if it works for you and it doesnt stress you out really bad and its not an obsession...there is no harm done.

I agree, alot of people say not to weigh yourself but once a week but i like to weigh myself every morning, every once in a while i will get on the scale in the afternoon and its always about 1lb higher than what it was that morning due to the things i eat and all the water i drink!!! Also my weight always seems to stay the same for a week and then one day i get on the scale and im down half a pound and a day or two late down a full pound.... i wait until i see that number 3 days in a row then i log it!!! When i take in too much sodium i notice my weight go up by a 1-1.5lbs but i dont worry about that because i know its water weight from water retention and will be gone in a day or 2 at most!!!! Try not to weight yourself more than once a day and the best time for me seem to be in the morning!!! Hope this helps a little!!!!