Dragon*Con

Options
TheMaidOfAstolat
TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
Okay...so I'm an uber geek. Who goes to D*Con every year? I keep finding more and more people who go. :bigsmile:

Replies

• achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've never been but I want to go SOOOOO BADLY!!!!! I
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Never heard of it. I go to Renaissance Faires and such. What is Dragon Con?

I'm a BlizzCon fan though haha
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Never heard of it. I go to Renaissance Faires and such. What is Dragon Con?

I'm a BlizzCon fan though haha

Here's a blurb from the site:

"Dragon*Con is the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the universe!
    This year, Dragon*Con will be held Labor Day weekend (September 2–5, 2011) in Atlanta, GA."

www.dragoncon.org

I also attend our local RenFest! I love to dress up...these two events I can dress as myself and not get stared at...and usually people ask me about my costumes instead of snearing. I love them!
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    you goin this year? I am actually goin to both ComicCon and DragonCon this year!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    you goin this year? I am actually goin to both ComicCon and DragonCon this year!

w00t! Heck yeah...I'm going to both! I'm such a geek.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    I don't go to ren fairs or cons because I live this stuff. Look up "Wizards & Warriors Camp" on Google. My company runs the camp. I get to do dress up all summer long. :)

(yeah, I have a wicked cool job)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I don't go to ren fairs or cons because I live this stuff. Look up "Wizards & Warriors Camp" on Google. My company runs the camp. I get to do dress up all summer long. :)

I would LOVE to be you! That's like my dream job right after being a librarian, lol.
  • squiddledeedee
    squiddledeedee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I try to go every year. Not sure if we are gonna make it this year. Now that we both live a lot closer to Atlanta we might have to settle for a day pass.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

:love:
    cool as hell! When I saw it was only a 3 hour drive from me I got excited, then I looked at pics and descriptions of stuff and got MORE excited. I almost showed my 10 year old, but glad I didn't. Because I wouldn't want to get his hopes up for something I could never afford. I can't pay almost 2 grand for a summer camp. :cry:

Too bad because this would make his YEAR, hell it would make his whole CHILDHOOD!:smile:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    My boyfriend and I try to go every year. Not sure if we are gonna make it this year. Now that we both live a lot closer to Atlanta we might have to settle for a day pass.

My friends get a hotel and we can stay there or go home. I live about 45 minutes north of Atlanta....so either day pass or staying works for me.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

cool as hell! When I saw it was only a 3 hour drive from me I got excited, then I looked at pics and descriptions of stuff and got MORE excited. I almost showed my 10 year old, but glad I didn't. Because I wouldn't want to get his hopes up for something I could never afford. I can't pay almost 2 grand for a summer camp. :cry:

Too bad because this would make his YEAR, hell it would make his whole CHILDHOOD!:smile:

I know. I wish they had something near me like this. My daughter would love it! Granted I would have loved it too as a kid...it would have been the best summer of my life!
  • Valqis
    Options

So you are going to LA?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

So you are going to LA?

Nope. They have an Atlanta ComicCon as well. :bigsmile: I would love to go to the one in LA though.
  • Valqis
    Options
    Yea I just saw that on FB. Will prolly go to the Atl ComicCon too
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options

There are a limited number of scholarships available... if you apply early you might qualify.

We also have specials for staff. So if you time off in the summer, put in an application. Thats how we got a number of our best counselors.
  • allimax2002
    allimax2002 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've been to Dragon*Con the past 2 years and I'm going again this year! Sooooo excited!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I've been to Dragon*Con the past 2 years and I'm going again this year! Sooooo excited!

I just hope I'm here for it this year! I might be moving to Bama....I may have to make the trip if I move just so I can come hang out with my friends and geek out for the weekend!
  • jsiler181
    Options
    I finally smarted up and searched D*C on the boards! Hey all! I'm a huge geek who has attended Dragon*Con since 2008 and plan to go every year for the rest of my life. So glad there are more like-minded folks on MFP! Please feel free to friend me :D

A few of my fandoms:
    Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse (I guess you can see that Joss WHedon is my god)
    Supernatural
    Lord of the Rings
    BSG
    Star Wars

I love horror movies and am always up to delve into new forms of nerdiness. I'm hoping to spend more time checking out "new" things this year. I always miss the Robot Battles, costume contests, drum circle... It's like I'm still a n00b lol
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    And to think it's so close. I may not be going...I don't have a costume ready and I didn't book a hotel. Granted I live about 45 minutes away but it's easier to just stay over night when you can.