Baked Apples

Options
Does anyone have a healthy way to cook baked apples? I usually cook them with sugar and cinnamon and butter but I don't want to make them this way anymore. Help? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• CarolHudson11
    Options
    4 apples
    4 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup white wine

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°F.
    Create a small well in the center of apples by cutting out the stem and core and leaving the bottom intact. Transfer the apples to an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish. Fill each well with 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Sprinkle cinnamon over apples. Pour wine around the apples, cover with foil and bake until soft, about 1 hour. Let cool before serving.

Nutrition:

Per serving: 138 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 5 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 220 mg potassium
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i just use diet coke
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I've done this before and it is good. I used regular brown sugar instead of the blend though. You can cut back on the butter and sugar and these are still just as good. I've been using Gala apples because that is what I've had on hand, and leaving the skin on for some extra nutritional value.

(I know these still have a bit of butter and sugar... but they are WAY healthier than the version I grew up eating!)

http://dessert.food.com/recipe/barbs-fried-apples-diabetic-low-fat-157548
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe, which replaces the butter with white wine, has only 1 tbsp of brown sugar per apple, and keeps the (healthy) cinnamon:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cinnamon_baked_apples.html

138 calories per serving.

I've not tried this recipe myself, but it sounds great!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    4 apples
    1 cup white wine

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°F.
    Create a small well in the center of apples by cutting out the stem and core and leaving the bottom intact. Transfer the apples to an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish. Fill each well with 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Sprinkle cinnamon over apples. Pour wine around the apples, cover with foil and bake until soft, about 1 hour. Let cool before serving.

Nutrition:

Per serving: 138 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 5 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 220 mg potassium

You beat me to it! LoL! Have you tried this recipe out? It sounds great, but I haven't tried it myself... yet!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    4 apples
    1 cup white wine

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Nutrition:

You beat me to it! LoL! Have you tried this recipe out? It sounds great, but I haven't tried it myself... yet!

Haha! Yes, I do it often. My son loves it and has no idea that it's lower in calories that the old way his grandma used to do them. :)
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    4 apples
    1 cup white wine

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Nutrition:

Haha! Yes, I do it often. My son loves it and has no idea that it's lower in calories that the old way his grandma used to do them. :)

Awesome, thank you!! I will try these out soon. They sound amazing!
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Anything I can use besides White Wine? I live in a dry county and would have to drive a considerable distance to get that.
  • mdudra
    mdudra Posts: 17
    Options
    Anything I can use besides White Wine? I live in a dry county and would have to drive a considerable distance to get that.

If you want to be healthy you can use water.. Apple Cider is a nice alternative but I'm not sure its considered healthy.