A question for ladies...

Options
So, it's that very special time of month for me. And first day is usually fairly easy, second is :devil: HELL :devil: and third is back to normal. So on and so forth. I have always given myself a token free day on hell day because it is so painful that working out is beyond uncomfortable. I still try to eat mindfully, though. I just don't work out. A friend of mine is also working on losing weight and she chastised me for this. She said that I was making excuses, plain and simple. This prompted me to want to find out if I'm the only one who feels this way. What do you ladies think and/or do on your hell day?

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way when my period is heavy or when my headaches are horrible. So you're definitely not alone.
  • heatypablo
    Options
    To be honest, I don't work out on my hell day either. However, if I am feeling better by the evening, then I'll do something simple like yoga or Wii Fit balance games. My TOM is horrible on my hell day... to where I'm nauseated and some times even light-headed. :sad:
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've actually found that working out when I have wicked cramps seems to help. But that's just me, if working out makes it worse then don't do it.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I believe that it is fine to cut yourself slack for good reasons, as long as you get right back on track ASAP. If your reason was that you were just tired, I'd consider that more of an excuse than a reason if you didn't work out at all, but pain that only occurs once a month is a valid reason for a light workout, or skipping the day altogether in my book.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Exercise actually makes my TOM more manageable but when I am having a really bad day on one I will take a rest day. I allow myself 2 rest days a week and just use that day as one of them. You need to listen to your body and if it wants you to work out.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I understand completely. Do what makes you feel better. I will add a personal note, though: I always feel better after I work out on those days - it makes my cramping feel better.
  • ariellespiller
    Options
    Yikes, she sounds hard-core! Her hell-day must not be as bad as yours. I know that exercise is the furthest thing from my mind on that day. And if that will hurt my weight loss, so be it. But I'm still losing, so I don't think it's hurting anything to have one day of rest!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    My TOM isn't absolutely horrible, but I do usually have one day of fairly awful cramps (which just happened to be yesterday for me). I worked out first thing in the morning yesterday, and didn't seem to be bothered by the cramps much at all the rest of the day. Maybe the movement helped alleviate some of my TOM symptoms. I don't blame you for skipping out on exercising during your hell day, but maybe just give a 20 minute workout in the morning a try on hell day and see if it makes things better or worse... experiment... that's really all you can do! Your friend can't really tell you you're right or wrong, because she doesn't know your body; only you do!
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I never suffered at all until recently.
    I now have really bad pain and feel uncomfortable during TOM. I don't over eat during this time, like I know some people like/need to.
    I am not sure, but I believe I have read or seen on tv (I have definatley heard it from somewhere) that you such be easy on exercise during TOM and not over excert yourself. Maybe someone else will shed some light on this

Next time your friend is feeling ill, insist she is just making excuses!

Good luck x
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    You are listening to your body. That is important. If you feel the need to do light exercise, maybe go on a short walk.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my regular routine but if the cramps are unbearable I keep the exercise light for that day. I also try to drink more water than normal.
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    One day off a month is fine :) I shouldn't worry about it.... :-)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I cut myself some slack when needed to. Here... some months are worse than others. Some I can do fairly normal activity, some not. Maybe your friend is just lucky to blessed with a relatively easy time of it! I agree with everyone else that one day off is not going to set back all of your hard work.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    Yesterday was that day for me and a long walk with a friend was all I managed. Today, I'm doing pilates. I take it easy when my body is telling me I should =)
  • 951heather
    951heather Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your body needs to rest anyways so your muscles can repair themselves in between workouts. So there is nothing wrong with taking a day off, especially when you are feeling bloated and not well enough to workout.
  • overit
    overit Posts: 273
    Options
    I used to take the first day off but with my schedule the past few months I didn't want to give up the workout days and I have found it more helpful on my cramps to work out plus to sweat out some of the water weight. But you have to listen to your body and do what you feel is best.
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Although I feel awful sometimes, I find that exercising (not necessarily a "hard" workout) can help dramatically with things...My motto is if I can to go work, I can to some kind of exercise--even if it isn't my normal "rigorous" workouts!
  • ladyrem
    ladyrem Posts: 13
    Options
    I see lots of variation here... I suffered with unbearable pain for the 1 and sometimes 2nd days... for apparently WAY to long... I finally gave in and went to my obgyn and found out I had servere endometrious. 1 surgery and another procedure a month after and viola ! I have regained a normal life for those 2 days of my life! So if pain is interrupting your "life" whether it be exerise or other activites... have it checked out ! having said that I noticed your ticker and see you are loosing wt so... keep doing what you are..it seems to be working! Good Luck!