"Exercising" Willpower?

Options
According to a NYT article there is some scientific evidence that willpower is a limited resource in the brain, making it difficult to accomplish two goals requiring willpower at the same time-- say, losing weight and studying for an an exam; or focusing on getting out of debt and sticking to an exercise program. (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/opinion/02aamodt.htm?_r=1)

But the article also says that willpower is a "muscle" that can be strengthened with practice--" People who stick to an exercise program for two months report reducing their impulsive spending, junk food intake, alcohol use and smoking."

Just wondering if any successful MFP-ers have found this to be true with their own diet/exercise changes.

Replies

• kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    That's pretty cool~. I haven't noticed that yet, but probably soon.
  • Metalhead187
    Options
    Hmm. that is quite interesting I have never even heard of that. good post! :)
  • fitmom125
    Options
    Great post. The article is very interesting. This is right up my alley. I will keep that in mind. I need all the will power I can get.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to stay healthy when i study for exams, because i stay at home and can control much better what i eat. So, im really not sure this can be true for everyone. I think everyone is different.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I hadn't really thought about it before, but now that I do, it makes sense. Personally, whenever I am on the wrong track for weight loss (such as I was between Halloween and New Year's last year) I tend to spend more money. And it wasn't all Christmas presents that I was buying during that particular time either, because some of those charges were solely for ME. And I did eat out a lot during that time so about $50 a week was added to the bill because of restaurants.

Now, however, I am on the right track having started over with my nutrition and exercise plan. As you can see from the ticker below, I am losing weight. To be perfectly honest, I have not deviated from my meal plans at all since starting and I have not missed a workout either. But, I also have formulated a plan to get completely out of debt in just 2 years and that means no car payment, no truck payment, no credit cards, nothing...except for the new mortgage since me and Justin just bought a house last August...but in my plan, that 30 year mortgage is going to be paid off in just a little more than 14 years, so it's all good.

I do tend to set more goals, write down more goals, and reach more goals when I focus on at least one of them such as weight loss. I have also been taking a challenge from Chalene Johnson on Facebook concerning becoming more organized, writing to-do lists, and achieving your goals. It has helped out a lot, and that includes ALL my goals!
  • Fit14eva
    Options
    I find that when i exercise i am more conscience of my diet and i haven't taken notice particuarly but i am sure it feeds into other areas of my life. I guess when you work so hard for that hour or so everyday, it makes you less likely to throw it all away on a candybar.... So i would say that it does in a sense make you more aware which is the will power to refrain.... or better... the will power to reason ... hope that helps!

Carolyn... Friend me...
  • robinfrazer
    Options
    I am "not yet" a successful MFP-er, but I have to say that in my life, I can see how that's true. I think of it more in terms of mental energy than will power - but it applies equally as well. When my mind is consumed with solving a problem at work, or worrying about something going on at home - I am MUCH less likely to exercise, and MUCH more likely to turn to food for comfort. Interesting.