distorted image?

Options
hi just a genral question, but do you think that when we look at ourselves we generally see a distorted image of ourselves? i have constantly had a thing about my body thinking i look fat and tumpy. ive lost weight since last year but still lokk short and a bit chunky to myself. Im just woindereding if any1 else struggles to see their changes and if im just generally a pain in the *kitten* and dont see changes in myself and just wlways feel fat xx

Replies

• tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I spent the first 15 years of my life being the "shortest" girl where ever we were. In grade school I was always in the front row, the first in the line, toward the front of the class - all because of my stature.

I started high school at 4' 11" and by the end of the freshman year I was 5' 7". I grew eight inches in one year.

By today's standards, I am taller than most women but in my mind I am still short. I try to inch my way to the front of any crowd, afraid I won't be able to see when actually, I can see just fine from the back. For years I always wore the highest heels I could stand, just to look taller.

So, yeah, I think our self-image is distorted.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I here yah gorgeous. Im still 290 but Im looking good but never felt that at 375. We are a tough critic but we have to celebrate the journey not the destination.
  • kmorneault11
    Options
    If there's anything you should know it's that you are definitely not alone in feeling like this! When I tell people I have an issue with my current weight they look at me like I'm crazy. I think you need to listen to you and you alone because at the end of the day it's YOUR body and no one elses. I know that I felt my best when I was around 115 lbs and granted I am only a couple of pounds away from that, it still doesn't mean I shouldn't pay attention to my fitness and nutrition! I don't think my post is exactly related to what you were saying but I figured I'd comment : /
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think most women do have a distorted body image......For me, growing up in a household of six sisters who were all TINY like my Mom was tough! I was the "big" one at 5' 7" (one of my sisters is just 4' 11" and my Mom is 5' 0"). As a teen, I was a runner and had a tall, thin runner's body.....yet, my family always teased me that I was the "big" one!

So, as an adult, I can see that I am not fat....but, I just see fat on me. I see myself as the big one, and that makes me feel "fat."

I think that we can redefine our own perceptions of ourselves though! I'm working on that everyday!
  • midgetjoness
    Options
    Definitely! I think sometimes it is worse than others...i read somewhere that if you stare at a part of your body it will seem bigger to you than if you just glanced at it which is a really weird thing to think about! I wear a UK size 6/8 which is slim however whenever i look in the mirror i still see the size 12/14 girl that i was when i was 15. Being a size 12/14 i wouldn't say is a bad thing but just over 5ft so the size really showed on me. As a result i can never tell what i really look like or trust my own view of myself and constantly over analyse and over judge meaning that i am too harsh on myself! Its a vicious cycle i'm afraid! So my advice would be don't always concentrate on what you look like, concentrate on how you feel! The ultimate goal in healthy living should really be happiness, because if we don't strive for that what really do we have to gain?? x
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    I was JUST thinking this. I swear my thighs are shape shifters. Sometimes I look at them in the mirror and they look great, other times they look like two giant hams.

I grew up super skinny, then got kind of fat in college...and I didn't even realize it until looking at pictures. I had like reverse distorted image. Now I probably look at myself and see myself as being lumpier than other people would notice. Anyway, I hear ya!
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i completely understand...i've lost about 15 lbs in the last year and from what others say i look great, but i don't always see it on myself! i still see my flaws (thicker thighs, not quite toned yet arms and abs) more than my accomplishments (muscular thighs, progress on my arms, ab definition)...it is always easier to see progress on another person, because i think that if i were to see someone else with the exact same body as mine i would be envious...i wish i could objectively look at myself and see the progress i've made and how good i look now compared to before (though i wasn't entirely displeased with my body before to be honest)...its funny that when you aren't particularly heavy to begin with the more you lose the harder it is to see it and appreciate it on yourself (for me at least)...instead of seeing that i am a size 4 and thinner than i've been in my adult life, i see that others who are around the same height are starting at and aiming for 10 lbs less than my goal...i struggle with it every day...i know that i should be happy and proud and some days i am, but there are always going to be more difficult days...super frustrating...sometimes it is reassuring to know that there are others fighting the same battle, but it stinks that it is so hard for so many people also!
    sorry for the rant, you just hit on a topic that i understand all too well! :)
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I was always opposite. At my heaviest, 340, I felt like crap but when I looked in the mirror I saw curves and a not too bad figure. Plus my hubby loved me at that weight. Now, at 230, I look back at pictures from that time and I can't believed I ever looked like that, for one, and two, I can't see how I ever thought I looked good at that weight. I was most often sweating, sitting in a chair with the rolls spilling out around me. yuck. I look in the mirror now and see a great improvement, but when I see pics of myself now, I still see someone heavier than what I see in the mirror. I wish I looked like what my mirror shows me, I'd be done.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to see myself through my husband's eyes. :love: I see big hips, he sees curves. I see small boobs, he sees cute perky boobs that stayed in the same place for the 11 years we've been together. :laugh:

I'm currently making an effort to go through my closet and purge everything that doesn't look great. For instance, I have a little velour hoodie that's a little too tight in the arms. I kept it thinking, "I'll lose weight." Screw that. I will lose weight, but I'll do it for me, not for a damn hoodie, and I'm NOT going to have that thing hanging out in my closet making me feel bad! :tongue:
  • hmfishy
    hmfishy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to drive my husband nuts asking him how I compared to other women, it wasn't because I wanted him to tell me i was smaller (though I loved hearing it), but I seriously had no idea how I look. Sometimes he'd ask if I was serious - I'd see someone that I thought I looked like that apparenlty had about 100 lbs on me. We are our worst critic, and if we could only see ourselves how others see us, we'd know how beautiful we really are. Somewhere, at some time, someone has looked at every one of us and thought "man, I wish I had her/his...". Isn't that crazy? :) you're not alone my dear! :)
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely a female thing.
    The other day, I was looking at my senior photos from high school and wanted to cry. Not because I have since gained weight but because back then I had NO IDEA that I had a killer body.
    I weighed between 125-130 lbs in high school, had an athletic shape, my boobs were a nice size, no hips, flat stomach...yet, the entire time I thought I was big/fat. Wth?
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    thanks for ur reply hun. im currently 118pounds and i would like to be around 115. like u said its only a couple pounds but ya feel better dont ya xx
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I think sometimes it is worse than others...i read somewhere that if you stare at a part of your body it will seem bigger to you than if you just glanced at it which is a really weird thing to think about! I wear a UK size 6/8 which is slim however whenever i look in the mirror i still see the size 12/14 girl that i was when i was 15. Being a size 12/14 i wouldn't say is a bad thing but just over 5ft so the size really showed on me. As a result i can never tell what i really look like or trust my own view of myself and constantly over analyse and over judge meaning that i am too harsh on myself! Its a vicious cycle i'm afraid! So my advice would be don't always concentrate on what you look like, concentrate on how you feel! The ultimate goal in healthy living should really be happiness, because if we don't strive for that what really do we have to gain?? x

I am currently going through this myself. I think that in terms of proportions, I am the same but just a -40 lbs smaller one so this causes me to think that I am not skinnier even though everyone says that there has been a huge difference. I consistantly need to remind myself that I am a smaller size (going from a 14/16 to a 8/10) and trying on old clothes to see them hang off of me to give myself motivation.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I agree OP.

A lot of people are that way. At times people can be conceited and think they look good when they don't. And then there are other people who look great and feel like they look horrible. I usually jump from one side to the other. Some days I see something great in the mirror, other days I'm bummed.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I agree OP.

A lot of people are that way. At times people can be conceited and think they look good when they don't. And then there are other people who look great and feel like they look horrible. I usually jump from one side to the other. Some days I see something great in the mirror, other days I'm bummed.

Agree. Some days I feel too skinny, other days too fat. But to the outside world I look great! Eye of the beholder I guess.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Totally depends on the day but I will tell you - when I lost the 50lbs I was scared to buy clothes because I was afraid I'd still need the large pants.

My husband and I went to Target, and I said I'd start with just pajamas, because you cant really go wrong with pajamas, he said grab the smalls...I laughed and said yeah right, I grabbed the mediums. We got home and they fell off me.

It was easy for him to see that I was going to need teh smalls, when I held them up I thought no freakin way my *kitten* is fitting into those.

Moral of the stories, my pajamas dont fit and when you lose 50lbs its very possible to go from a large to a small lol
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Agree. Some days I feel too skinny, other days too fat. But to the outside world I look great! Eye of the beholder I guess.

I'm my biggest critic. I think it comes with being into bodybuilding or changing how you look.
    Some days I feel like a million bucks and I feel ripped.
    Then I can be around some bigger guys, or have a bad day diet wise, and i feel small and crappy.

Thats why I always get confused when I see people posting goal weights. I can't imagine ever being satisfied and saying alright I'll just maintain.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Yes.

Body image is something that weight loss will not cure. That's a personal and internal journey that can only be overcome by accepting yourself as you are. Not saying to give up on looking better, but it's all about being ok with me. Perd.
  • cinnaben
    cinnaben Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have huge body image issues. When I look in the mirror I feel big, even though I know deep down that I am not. Even at my lowest weight I still wasn't happy with myself. I hear the same thing from so many females, the constant dissatisfaction and self-hate. I have a fear that I will reach my goal and still be as unhappy with myself as I am now, and I think that sometimes holds me back from really giving this my all. :ohwell:
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I think I am the same way, who can be sure actually. What we see and what others see are two different perceptions. That said, I have lost weight too, and I actually get frustrated now when people saw, you are thin you look good, I think.... no you do not see me naked, I KNOW what I look like under these clothes. It is different, I see soft untone yuckiness. I am waiting for the day I look and see firm tone yummyness! I have to admit, I am seeing a change in my body but it is not enough, I have set a goal and will not like how I look until I get there. But I plan on keeping on my path and working hard so some day I will be there. Good luck to you OP.