Discrimination Against FAT people!

Options
This weekend went wonderfuly, for the most part. My husband, son and I went to Southern Bavaria for a Military ball for my husbands battalion. We got there on Friday and everything was fun. We went swimming, sledding and had a great time but by mid Saturday that all changed. I have never been one to worry about or even think about what life would be like if I was discriminated against, in any way but a few select and mean spirited Germans changed that perception for me. When a person arrives in Germany one of the first things that they notice is the fantastic food that is available but in the same breath they also notice that this is the land of the "healthy" people. It is very difficult to find a "FAT" German child or woman, for that matter.

Saturday came and I needed to get my hair done for the ball that evening. I had called a salon that was recommended about a week out from the ball and was told that there were no appointments and all persons were taken on a walk in basis, this I had no problem with. My husband took me to the Salon in question and when I arrived, the lady told me that it would be 45 minutes until I could be seen for having my hair put up. Time passed slowly and I sat and waited while my husband and son went and shopped a bit. 30 minutes passed and by that time, 4 other people had come in after me and one by one they were all taken ahead of me. I started to wonder why this was happening but being the respectful and kind person I am, I just sat there and waited. After the 6th person came in and was taken I decided to pull out my phone and use my voice activated translator to figure out what these German women were saying to one another. At this point, two of them were standing behind a chair right in front of me and talking, all the while they continued to blatenly stare in my direction. My translator told me that the older lady didn't want to do my hair because she didn't want to work on the "FAT" girl and the other ladies were all in agreement with her. I was mordified, to say the least. I have never been discriminated against in my life and never had any idea how heartbreaking it truely felt to have this done. By this time my husband had returned with my little boy and asked how long it would be because the time I had was almost up and I told him that it had been welll over an hour and that I knew I wasn't going to be seen so we packed up my little boy and I simply left, without a word. I held back the tears until I just couldn't anymore. Those German women made me feel worthless and like a piece of trash. That is a feeling I never want to feel again and wouldn't wish on my worse enemy.

Replies

• Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    Well, damn, that is just wrong and I'm so sorry it happened to you. As a very tall black woman who lived in Germany for 7 years, I experienced a bit of discrimination myself. However, I'd also like to say that just like in the US, I would hesitate to categorize all Germans by these few ignorant people. Some of the most caring, loving and geniune people I've ever met are German so although I can imagine it was painful, know that they are insignificant and probably only said such disgusting things because they are insecure themselves. Chin up :)
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    (((((hugs)))) I'm so sorry this happened. :(
  • Nanavette
    Options
    I'm sorry they treated you so badly.
  • undercover
    undercover Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is really bad... sorry you had to experience that!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I am so so sorry you had to be put through that way!!! :mad: They should not be allowed to get away with that...
  • ababygrace
    Options
    I for sure would have said something to them to make them feel stupid. They thought they were swift by talking in a different language but I would have gave them a piece of mind in a kind manner.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    That is horrible. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Those people are just mean. and Mean people suck.
    Please don't let small minded people have an impact on you any longer than you have. You are a decent person and have a nice heart and wanted nothing but to pay for a service. Chalk it up to small minded people and leave it at that. They don't have any bearing on you! They may have hurt your feelings, but you can lose weight and they can't change the ugly that's inside of them.

Once again I'm sorry that happened. But they don't define you. You do. :)
  • christenapanzone
    christenapanzone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My God! As someone that has German heritage I can say that NO German person has ANY right to call anyone fat. That's insane. What a bunch of witches.
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I live in Peru and they good naturedly always use to comment about my weight.......but please please lose weight for yourself, and not for those mean-spirited women........yes, being overweight is hard on one's self-esteem and health, but believe in yourself, revel in the acceptance from those who love you and see you as a woman of worth..........lose weight because YOU AND YOU ALONE have the desire to better yourself........good luck
  • Fat2FitArmyWifey
    Options
    I'm so sorry that this happened to you!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    That was very cruel and I'm very sorry that it happened. It's extremely common for Europeans to discriminate against Americans though. They have sterotyped us and think that Americans are fat, stupid and lazy.

It doesn't surprise me that Germans are fit people. I've found that places that have delicious food often have the healthiest people. And, Europe doesn't use trans fats and other terrible food ingredients that America uses that contribute greatly to obesity. They use more natural, fresh ingredients which are inherently healthier.
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry this happened to you and made you feel this way....you are not worthless!!!!!! I am sorry you had to experience this treatment.....hanh in there and hugs to you!!!
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I am so sorry you were treated so badly. My heart is breaking for you. I read this story to my husband, and before I could finish, I got choked up and tears came in my eyes. I don't understand why there are so many mean and ugly people out there. You have to stay strong and do not let these ugly people get to you. IF you do, that is when you will fall back into your bad eating habits. Please add me as a friend. I want to follow your progress. Stay strong.
  • nancyhorta
    nancyhorta Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I think there's more FAT descrimination out there than you think, however, that is just unbelievable. How disgusting! I would have stood up after the 1st person that past you and said something.... let them tell me to my face that they won't service me cause they don't like how fat I am..... wouldn't that be good for business? Just makes me so angry.... but I believe, being overweight my entire life, since the 2nd grade.... I went through hell and back through out school with people I thought were friends until they jumped on the bandwagon to make fun of me.... As an adult, I realize that was THEIR insecruties and the need to feel superior over me and prove to a group that they were worthy to join it...... I turned my back on those people, and never talked to them again... but it never stopped me from making new friends.
    As an adult.... I have no doubt I've been looked at and talked about being over 100 pounds overweight... but I must say.... I know the person I am inside and out.... and if these people want to judge me by site... that is certainly thier loss.... and shows the depth of character that they have. I think being FAT is one of the most difficult things in this world...... we are NOT accepted by society.... in general.... and I think that is a shame. Having said that, I have NEVER let anyone's opinion of me stop me from being myself, or doing things I like to do. If you, the onlooker don't like what you see..... so be it... but keep it to yourself. NO ONE will ever stop me from going to the beach, waterparks, movies, planes, etc.... I will not and never have given people that type of power over me. Concentrate on YOU, your hubby and yoru beautiful family..... Continue to work on yourself, your health and your weight..... you will realize, once to goal, you still won't like those people who make fun of or discriminate over those of us that are FAT. It's THEIR Character flaw!!!!! xo Best of luck to you!!!!!!
  • billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Boxheads
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thats cruel. Horrible. No one should be discriminated for their size. Makes me happy we stomped that azz in ww2.
  • misterpiano
    Options
    Think of it this way.....YOU can change. Take just one day at a time....do something, anything, to work towards your goal. If you see it through, you will be a new person, but they will still be bigoted and mean spirited!

Although it is not easy, take pride in the small victories. A pound here or there, a few steps longer on this walk than the last walk, or maybe the same distance but a few minutes cut off of the time. Focus on reasonable goals, and don't get discouraged.

What other people think of you is nowhere near as important as what you think of yourself. It looks like you have a great support group right in your own family!

Oh, and also....a big THANK YOU to your husband as well as you for the sacrifices you make to serve our country!
  • simplyshannal
    simplyshannal Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! The support I have found here and the friends far outweigh any long lasting effects that those women could really have on me. My husband told me that I was beautiful and a wonderful mother and wife and that made me smile in the end. I was sad as got dressed because I didn't have time to get my hair done but all in all, I think I looked pretty good!

Having the support from all of you on here makes me smile too! All of you are just the best!!!!
  • braddydm
    braddydm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Well... I heard this quote in a movie when I was a teenager.....
    " I may be fat, BUT I can lose the weight...You are ugly and theres not a damn thing you can do about that!!!"
    Sounds silly, but sometimes it fits!!