"You can't do this" and other Inner Voice lies

Options
In the back of my mind, I always harbored thoughts about what a crap hand I was dealt when it came to my body. Genetically, I was pre-disposed to being overweight, heart disease, diabetes, cancer. My mother died before she was 60, my father had a quadruple bypass before he was 62. I was diagnosed with a clotting disorder that forces me to take the equivalent of rat poison at ridiculously high doses before I turned 28 and subjects me to bi-weekly blood draws. My knees ached. My back hurt. My shoulder throbbed. I weighed over 500 pounds.

Recently, however, I’ve discovered (like the song) my body is a wonderland. I’ve realized my inner Voice (aka *kitten*) needs to be muzzled for good. So here’s a few ways I’ve started to shut that *kitten* up.

Inner *kitten*: You’re ridiculously fat. Even if you try to lose weight, it will be so slow that you shouldn’t even try.
My Truth: I’m overweight and doing something about it. My knees hurt less, my back pain has disappeared, the shoulder pain is manageable, and I’m shedding pounds. It’s a marathon of a lifestyle, and I can’t expect to fix everything overnight.

Inner *kitten*: You have bat wings for arms, a gut, and back fat that could hide a dozen twinkies.
My Truth: I’ve got amazing legs, fantastic boobs, and a gorgeous face. And while I’m toning up those admittedly flabby areas, Spanx will help me feel more confident.

Inner *kitten*: You’re weak.
My Truth: I’m strong and growing stronger every day. I can walk 3 miles without breaking a sweat, I can climb a mountain at my own pace, and I can lift more weights each time I try.

Inner *kitten*: You have no willpower.
My Truth: I have amazing dedication when I put my mind to it. I stumble, and I fall, and I get up every time to give it another try.

Inner *kitten*: Ha ha ha! You can’t even complete the workout DVD you just put in!
My Truth: I did 50% with perfect form, and kept moving the rest of the hour. Next time, I’ll do even more. And there will. Be. A . Next. Time.

Inner *kitten*: People laugh at you.
My Truth: I laugh at myself. My friends laugh with me. Those that matter never laugh AT me.

Inner *kitten*: You are inadequate.
My Truth: I am everything I need to be.

Replies

• blessedmomof8
    blessedmomof8 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Very well put! Stick with your truths.
  • harrysdiner
    harrysdiner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are EVERYTHING you need to be!! Keep going at what ever pace. Your worth it!!!
  • psychicreader80
    Options
    You take coumadin? I have type 1 diabetes and feel the same as you did.
  • heatypablo
    Options
    I :heart: this!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You take coumadin? I have type 1 diabetes and feel the same as you did.

Yes, I do. 18 mg a day. Kinda sucks, but thank goodness they HAVE the medication!
  • luvdaisy
    luvdaisy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Luv this!!!!
  • PMurphy70
    PMurphy70 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! I just started to lose weight and those inner voices have crept back up. Thank you, thank you for your positive insights on the "inner voices".:smile:
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Good for you and all of us who subscribe to the same truths as you!!! :flowerforyou: Bye, bye *kitten*!:drinker:
  • Jana114
    Options
    I LOVE this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Msmeme82
    Options
    I love it... Get girl... kick that inner Biach to the curve....She just in the way anyway keep on with what you are doing I'm pround of you...