my gut

Options
Hi everyone, somewhat new here, but I survived my first week....lost 3lbs, exercising daily, and learning a lot about my eating habits.

I am one of those people who you wouldn't guess had a weight problem. I am 5'4" with a small frame. I didn't break 100lbs until college....I started at 151.6 last week. That puts me in the overweight category, according to my BMI. I want to get back to my college weight of 125. However, you probably wouldn't guess I weigh as much as I do. In fact, I fit comfortably into size 6 clothing. My problem area is my gut. Somehow, it's gotten huge. It sticks out further than my butt. People touch it assuming I am pregnant. Has anyone had success with losing belly weight?

Right now, I am running almost daily (shorter distances, 2-3 miles, right now), biking a couple miles back and forth to campus, and going to yoga a couple times a week.

Replies

• hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right road. I have a large belly too, but I'm 5' 9" 275 lbs. I have very muscular arms and legs and butt, but this big ole belly. I don't have the magic secret for losing belly fat, but I'm starting here with the help of others and the tools that are available. I guess the first thing would be to lose the weight then start or body sculpting exercises.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    my abs were quite achey the day after Jillian Michaels' "No More Trouble Zones" dvd.
    just a suggestion :-)
    good luck!
  • sinny10
    sinny10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keep with the running and the biking. You are definity on the right track there. Gotta burn more than you put in. =-) Happy running!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, somewhat new here, but I survived my first week....lost 3lbs, exercising daily, and learning a lot about my eating habits.

I am one of those people who you wouldn't guess had a weight problem. I am 5'4" with a small frame. I didn't break 100lbs until college....I started at 151.6 last week. That puts me in the overweight category, according to my BMI. I want to get back to my college weight of 125. However, you probably wouldn't guess I weigh as much as I do. In fact, I fit comfortably into size 6 clothing. My problem area is my gut. Somehow, it's gotten huge. It sticks out further than my butt. People touch it assuming I am pregnant. Has anyone had success with losing belly weight?

Right now, I am running almost daily (shorter distances, 2-3 miles, right now), biking a couple miles back and forth to campus, and going to yoga a couple times a week.

There is no way to target your midsection with any specific exercise like sit-ups, leg-lifts or crunches. Doing these build the 6-pack but you won't see it until you lower your BMI closer to mid-teens. This is the LAST fat to be burned on a weightloss journey. The running is good but I suggest you push it up just a little. The other thing about running and other cardio is that it is best to do it first thing in the morning. This is called "fasted cardio" b/c your tank(stomach) is empty and most of the glycogen in your muscles is depleted, so the body burns fat for the exercise energy. Give caffeine 20 minutes for absorption B4 running and do a protein powder drink within 30 minutes of finishing cooldown for muscle repair. 20 minutes for protein absorption B4 eating a big balanced breakfast and you will boost your metabolism for as long as 19 hours after your run.
    I do it this way and eat all the exercise calories on top of the alotted daily cals and I lose 2 -3 pounds a week. For me this requires a minimum of 40 minutes fasted cardio every day. Good luck and friend me. My diary is public so check to see what I am eating.
  • rachaelski
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone!