Low Sodium Prepackaged Foods

Options
Does anyone have specific recommendations for Low Sodium Prepackaged food(I know it is some what an oxymoron )? I know my best bet is to stay with fresh items, but sometimes I do not have time to prepare and need something quick.

Replies

• melmi20
    melmi20 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! Some days, unfortunately, you have to go pre-packaged. What kind of pre-packaged foods do you have in mind? Soups? Breads? Amy's Organic has a great line of lower-sodium soups. As far as breads go, look for the frozen Ezekial (sp?) bread. I haven't tried it, because I can't let go of my sandwich thins! :p
  • DBritt1
    DBritt1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Soups, boxed items or frozen entrees. I have tried Amy's Organic soup which is definitely lower in sodium, but still find myself going over if I eat anything prepackaged.
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Why not set aside some time and prepare your meals for 2 weeks ahead of time? If I make a pan of healthy enchiladas then cut it up and freeze it in containers then I can just grab one before I head out the door. Then, if I make a batch of chili then I can freeze that up too, and switch off so I don't get bored.

At night if I'm too tired or lazy to really cook I can throw a 1/2 cup of pasta in a pan to boil and pour some chili over it.

If you have enough frozen for 2 weeks then you don't have to keep cooking all the time!! =)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If you love pizza, I just discovered a gem (thanks to my neighbor). They are small packaged pizzas with 248 calories, 380 mg sodium, and 0g fat. They come with cheese and sauce only, so if you want toppings you have to add them. Also, they have to be ordered in bulk. Ordering a dozen at a time is much more economical than 6 at a time! I tried my first one this weekend and topped it with a little extra cheese and sliced roma tomatoes which made the total calories 346! You'll find them at www.pizzafree.com if you're interested. I will return to work in a few months and plan to order a dozen of these just to break up the monotony of eating peanut butter sandwiches or salads for lunch. :P

I hope you get some more great ideas! :)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Why not set aside some time and prepare your meals for 2 weeks ahead of time? If I make a pan of healthy enchiladas then cut it up and freeze it in containers then I can just grab one before I head out the door. Then, if I make a batch of chili then I can freeze that up too, and switch off so I don't get bored.

At night if I'm too tired or lazy to really cook I can throw a 1/2 cup of pasta in a pan to boil and pour some chili over it.

If you have enough frozen for 2 weeks then you don't have to keep cooking all the time!! =)

This idea is optimal if you can find the time to do it.....and the ideas are endless! You can make and freeze all sorts of things to bring for lunch. Which gives you much more control over calories and sodium. :)

Fresh is always best!
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Everyone can make time to cook. Throw things into a crock pot - takes 5 minutes. Besides that, if you're just sitting and watching tv then just cook during your shows. Most people watch TV.

the biggest challenge is going to the grocery store. I used to work 4 jobs for about 2 years solid. I would go between jobs, to the 24-hour place after I was done at the gym, and immediately throw things into the containers to cook them up.

It's about setting your priorities. If it's important to you then you'll make time.