How does one go about becoming a personal trainer?

BethanyMasters
BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
I've been working at the same crappy minimum wage job for three years. It's my own fault since I dropped out of college because for one I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life and I needed to get away from my parents.

Now that I'm becoming more fit and I'm getting close to my goal I've decided what I'd like to do as a real career. I'd like to pay it forward so to speak and become certified to be a personal trainer and maybe even go back to college and take some nutrition classes.

The problem is that I don't really know where to start. I've googled some stuff but I have no idea what is legit and what isn't. If I'm going to spend my savings on a personal training certification I want to make sure it's going to be a legitimate and I want a good program so that potential clients and job opportunities will take me seriously.

If anybody can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I live in Michigan about 20 minutes north of detroit if it makes a difference.

Replies

• Bump!

I'm with you. I really enjoy working out and learning about fitness, and helping others reach their goals just seems awesome.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Look into ACE program or go to any university that has a certified personal trainer program!, but I recomend ACE if you want it to be quicker
  • There are several legit ones, but I'd recommend visiting your local fitness center and talking with them. Many will have you apprentice with them and then get certified through one of the associations they recognize. The ACE has a good study program and I forget a few of the others. Good luck on your quest.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    thanks guys i'll look into those. I've also requested information from Everest college.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    It depends what kind of trainer you want to be. There are the trainers a your local gym. PE teachers, and coaches at high schools or colleges. You can be a physical, or occupational therapist at hospitals. You can help to train the kids and adults for the Special Olympics. There are so many opportunities but you need to decide which venue you want to take. Look into your options then you can choose your path. Good Luck
  • There are several legit ones, but I'd recommend visiting your local fitness center and talking with them. Many will have you apprentice with them and then get certified through one of the associations they recognize. The ACE has a good study program and I forget a few of the others. Good luck on your quest.

Great advice! :)

I'm certified through AFAA & about to go through ACE to become certified in lifestyle & weight management :)
This discussion has been closed.