Sleep!!!

Options
Why cant I just go to bed!

Are there any night owls out there who are trying to go to bed earlier say 9 or 10 verses 11 or 12? If you are currently making a change in your sleeping habits in order to get more sleep how are you doing it? I keep telling myself I really need to go to bed ON TIME and I won't be so tired but Im fighting with another part of myself that always says if I stay up a little later then I will crash and sleep through the night (technically true) but I wake up really tired and not wanting to get out of bed. where as when I go to bed at 9ish I do lay there for a little bit and don't fall asleep right away but It is also sooo much easier to get out of bed in the morning. I have been doing a lot better all week tho. Most nights this week I have been in bed before 10 and some as early as 8:30 and 9:00 but tonight has been a struggle.

I have been sitting here browsing posts for a while tonight since I finished my psycology reading and for the past hour and a half I have been trying to convince myself to just get up and go to bed and fighting with myself cause I don't want hubby to wake me up at eleven when he gets up for work.

lol well ok here I go. Goodnight everyone.

Replies

• stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    OK, I understand what you are saying - I never ever went to bed before 12 (or 11pm on a good day) and esp in my "younger" years, it was more like 2 am and then up for work at 7am. ....Until, I had a baby.
    That is the best thing to make you crave that sleep and not care about what is going on on TV, internet or whatever you are staying up for. (I always thought I am missing out on something)
    So since the baby - my bed time was 9, 10 sometimes even 8, because I know the baby will be up at 6am or so and then I have to go to work.

But I have since discovered many wonderful things to getting a good night sleep:
    no grumpiness throughout the dat,
    you get out of the bed happy to start the new day, because you slept well (I actually do the same on the weekends although I could sleep in),
    I go out of a walk at 6:30 am with my husband and my baby and we also have a cup of coffee at the local coffee shop all before I even have to start getting ready for work (which is actually a really nice thing to do, no rush)
    and I don't eat later than 8 pm (because you can't since you are in bed so early)
    and you are kind of able to think clearly throughout the day and there are no energy ups and downs that you have to pick up with sweets or coffee (I drink much less coffee now than I used to)

So, those are my pros. And all you need to do is actually get into bed - that I think is the hardest part - once you are in the bed - you will sleep.
    But I coulldn't do it before I HAD to do it.

Good luck on that resolution, I think it is great!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    OK, I just see you have 2 kids!!! Not sure how you manage to wake up late with a 15 month old!!! OMG! When does your 15mt old wake up in the morning? Or your 3yr old. That would be my incentive to get into bed!
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    I can relate--I don't get into bed most nights until 1 or 2AM and can't actually fall asleep until 2 or 3AM. I wake up around 11AM each day, which isn't awful but I just can't seem to get my body to WANT to sleep earlier than 2 or 3AM.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids- 6,3 and 2 years old. Before my oldest son's Winter Break from school, I was knocked out 10 at the latest. Now he's back to school and I'm starting this lifestyle change with the help of MFP, I can't or maybe I should say won't because I distracted by the site. Lol! It's a good thing my son rides the bus and it picks him up right in front of our house.
  • Buttsmom
    Buttsmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I can relate--I don't get into bed most nights until 1 or 2AM and can't actually fall asleep until 2 or 3AM. I wake up around 11AM each day, which isn't awful but I just can't seem to get my body to WANT to sleep earlier than 2 or 3AM.

That is so me. I always think I'm going to change it, but never get it done. I think my problem is that everyone else goes to bed between 11-12 here and after that I finally get some me time.
  • JillyR77
    JillyR77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can totally relate. Have been a night owl even since middle school or maybe earlier. I usually go to bed at 1 or 2, then get up at 7 or 8 (somewhat flexible work hours, thank goodness). My goal has always been 10-11pm, so I could get up to work out in the morning, but it is soooo hard because I just don't get tired that early and my husband is usually up until 3 or so. If I go to bed at 10 or whatever, I just lay there with my mind racing until I... a.) get up 3 times to go pee or get more water and finally fall asleep at 1am, or... b.) give up after a couple hours and get up to eat something and/or read email, etc.

Have you ever heard of Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome? I've never been diagnosed, but it might be something to look into or be aware of. This Stanford site has a simple description, but also click on the link at the top for a newer article that I think you might relate to: http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/delayed.html

Again, I'm not a doctor and am not suggesting that there's anything seriously wrong with you, but I think it's comforting to know that there are often real physiological reasons that some of us have a harder time complying with a socially acceptable wake/sleep schedule. As for solutions, well... sorry I'm not much help in that area yet!

Sleep is so important in maintaining balance of hormones involved in weight & appetite. We must find a way to beat this! :smile:
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    OK, I just see you have 2 kids!!! Not sure how you manage to wake up late with a 15 month old!!! OMG! When does your 15mt old wake up in the morning? Or your 3yr old. That would be my incentive to get into bed!

Lol thats just It. I DONT sleep late. Ever! I cant my toddler wont let me. He promptly wakes me up at 7 every morning. so I am out of bed by 7:30 most mornings. and my baby wakes up shortly after unless my toddler goes and plays with her first in which case he is in my room by 7:30.

This is why that going to sleep early is nessecary for me to keep my sanity I just cant seem to go to bed Your so right Getting in bed is my hardest thing too!