Should I log my cleaning?

MelissaL582
MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm a stay at home mom of 3 children. I was wondering if I should log into my exercise that I clean? I clean throughout the whole day- dishes, laundry, vacuuming, sweeping, cooking.. everything that a stay at home mom does. I see that some people put in 20 minutes that they did light cleaning and burned x amount of calories. Since I do it every day, should I list it and if I should..how many hours? I was thinking that if I break a sweat cleaning, then maybe I should log it in..like scrubbing my floors or something. Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• You totally should especially if you are breaking a sweat!!!
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    i only log cleaning if it is something i do only occasionally (like scrub the tile floor rather than sweeping or mopping), or if i clean the whole house when we are having visitors etc. stuff i do every day, laundry dishes cooking etc i figure are taken into account already.:smile:
  • I log my cleaning. Every little bit helps. You're up and moving as opposed to sitting on the couch so at least you're doing something! :)
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    I have not logged most of my cleaning since I was doing it before MFP, I am only logging "breaking a sweat calories burned", when it really gets my heart pumping and it take a sincere effort to accomplish.
  • shaunarlr83
    shaunarlr83 Posts: 374 Member
    Most people say if it was your regular routine before you started trying to lose it probably won't make a difference and then your just giving yourself extra calories, I am w/ Sue only when it heavy duty extra cleaning, although for myself I rarely clean and even though I have had alot more energy since starting this and my house is spotless I still haven't added it to my calories, I am just hoping that little bit extra really shows up at weigh in time.
  • I agree with the others as well. You dont want to use it as a way to log calories burned just because but you want to log them if you are honestly breaking a sweat and burning cals! I am sure being a stay at home mom of 3 that you are definitely burning those cals even if not at a gym!!!!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    what do you have your activity level set at? If it is set to active or lightly active, I would not log it unless it is something out of the ordinary/extremely hard. If you have it set to sedentry then I would log some of it.
  • oh great point garedds. I totally forgot about that since I have a desk job and am set to the lowest activity setting. Darn desk jobs!
  • MelissaL582
    what do you have your activity level set at? If it is set to active or lightly active, I would not log it unless it is something out of the ordinary/extremely hard. If you have it set to sedentry then I would log some of it.

I have it set to sedentary but I wasn't sure if I should put it as that. My younger 2 boys keep my busy.. So I am not sure?
  • MelissaL582
    I guess I'll only log my cleaning if I'm breaking a sweat.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Ok everyone has their opinions and here's mine. LOL

I don't log my cleaning b/c I've always cleaned. I didn't get thiner by cleaning. That's just part of my life and MFP has adjusted based on the ?'s they asked me to set my activity level, about my daily activities. They based my calories on that answer. I work around my house and that's what I've always done. I've never counted those calories in my life b/c that's just part of my life. If I'd had a full time house cleaner and yardman and then suddenly started doing that stuff then I'd count those calories. But since I've done that the whole time then I don't count them.

If I do stuff that I normally don't do like move/unload a truck full of boxes or pack to move or work an event then I count those b/c that's activity I wouldn't normally do.

There's my 2 cents.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    I only log in cleaning when I help my mom with her cleaning business which includes cleaning a school: a lot of lugging large trash cans, a lot of mopping and a lot of cleaning large mirrored walls.

Other than that, I don't log in daily cleaning unless it's really deep cleaning. Today was a good one.
  • MelissaL582
    Ok everyone has their opinions and here's mine. LOL

I don't log my cleaning b/c I've always cleaned. I didn't get thiner by cleaning. That's just part of my life and MFP has adjusted based on the ?'s they asked me to set my activity level, about my daily activities. They based my calories on that answer. I work around my house and that's what I've always done. I've never counted those calories in my life b/c that's just part of my life. If I'd had a full time house cleaner and yardman and then suddenly started doing that stuff then I'd count those calories. But since I've done that the whole time then I don't count them.

If I do stuff that I normally don't do like move/unload a truck full of boxes or pack to move or work an event then I count those b/c that's activity I wouldn't normally do.

There's my 2 cents.

Good point! That's why I had to ask because I saw other members logging the cleaning in. I clean throughout the day doing my normal stuff before I signed up on here.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    no
This discussion has been closed.