Breakfast makes me sick

Options
So...I know that I should be eating breakfast on a regular basis to get the whole metabolism thing into gear. Honestly, I haven't had breakfast on a consistant basis since I was about 12. Now if I eat even a bowl of cereal in the morning then i'm sick the rest of the day. Any thoughts? Should I just power through it?

Replies

• shastacrystal
    Options
    Do you get sick if you just drink a protein shake? If not then make a shake or smoothie!
  • Starlyte123
    Options
    I haven't really tried a shake yet. That's a good idea. I'm really not a morning person so the thought of complex meals in the morning is just bad! :) I think I will try that though. It might be a good start at least.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    try maybe some milk or almond milk with some protein powder and banana or something then you can adjust from there. See what will work for your tummy. I am sure a shake will be much lighter and easy on your stomach. You can even start with just a costco weightloss shake (they taste great) or a slim fast.
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Me too, I have a hard time swallowing cereal or anything but my first cup of coffee, then I exercise, shower then have something to eat about mid morning is when I get hungry so I will have my cereal then, which usually lasts me til lunch, then a snack around 3pm and dinner at 6pm, if needed a small low carb snack at 9pm so I can sleep with out a growling tummy.
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I find I always have to eat some protien in the morning. Can't do carbs without a protien to balance things out.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Aw! I would just suggest trying something small like a banana, or granola bar. If that goes well, try more. Do you feel sick from just cereal? OR try something that is not typically breakfast... like a PB&J or an apple and peanut butter.

That is no fun, I hope you find something that you can stomach.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    How long are you waiting to eat once you get up from be? I have always heard it should be more then an hour. That is what my trainer told me at least. Definitely try a shake and see what happens. I am interested to see your progress!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Babe, I'm with you. I have a hard time eating till I've been up for awhile. then I workout in the am. so you don't want to eat within an hour of working out, so I tend to workout then eat. I know it's not right however, I just have to wait. I think bc I've always been like that my body is good with it. :) I just listen to my body. If I'm hungry I eat if I'm not I don't. :) Sometimes after I workout in the morning I'm like, I should eat before I work out but I never do. Oh well. I'm sure it'll be a hot topic but after 30 years of not eating breakfast IDK I just don't. :)
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have to wait a couple of hours before I can eat but I'm getting better. I've Never been able to eat in the morning but do know it's important to keep the metabolism going. I need to try a smoothie one day; sounds really good!
  • ThoughtsOfBelle
    ThoughtsOfBelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this at all. I LOVE breakfast! haha

But yeah, I'm with everyone suggesting a protein shake! Not as hard to stomach early in the morning, maybe?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten breakfast either. But I started making myself eat something an hour or two after getting up and find it's much easier than trying to force something down right away. And I try to keep it kind of light. Yogurt + fruit or just a couple pieces of toast. And I've found it helps keep me from binging later. Just keep experimenting. Good luck with it!
  • senloe
    senloe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you aren't a big breakfast person - maybe try one of those meal replacement protein bars? They are easy and you can just buy them at the store... tastes like a granola bar. I'm not a big cereal eater either. My favorite breakfast is 1/2 cup low fat granola with low fat yogurt. So good.
  • Starlyte123
    Options
    Clearly my desire for sleep is what makes me sick! I want to sleep as much as possible in the morning, wake up, eat a quick something, get dressed, and walk out the door. I need to get into a routine of waking up...processing everything...then eating...getting dressed...etc. Thank you all for your comments! I think sleep is going to be the hardest part of my lifestyle change!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I was never a breakfast eater either, but have made myself get used to eating breakfast since losing weight. Most days I just have a yogurt, protein shake or instant oatmeal. But I usually wait until I have been up about an hr. You might want to try this or maybe just a banana, once you get used to it, it becomes easier. Good luck
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Clearly my desire for sleep is what makes me sick! I want to sleep as much as possible in the morning, wake up, eat a quick something, get dressed, and walk out the door. I need to get into a routine of waking up...processing everything...then eating...getting dressed...etc. Thank you all for your comments! I think sleep is going to be the hardest part of my lifestyle change!
    Prepare some of it the night before and then it is super quick in the am. ;)

ssshhh but sometimes I eat yogurt and granola with almonds while i drive to work hahahaha -texting and driving? pssh I eat and drive! :-P
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    im the same way. i was able to pick up drinking a bottle of ensure. i like that they're smaller and the multi pack keeps the flavor different for me.
  • zianiH
    zianiH Posts: 68
    Options
    Is 1 tbspn of honey consider a breakfast?
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Hey hunny!

I was the exact same way and for yeeeears it stopped me from eating breakfast entirely. My first meal wouldn't be until 1 or 2! It was incredibly hard but I powered through it. I started a challenge for myself "Eat Breakfast like a King." I was having a hard time getting all of my calories in and habitually saving them for the last meal of the day instead of "Eat Dinner like a pauper." I knew not only was breakfast going to jump start my metabolism but I needed to spread those calories out. I started planning my breakfasts out in advance.

They had to be at least 250 or more and have some protein/fiber. I chose not to eat cereal every morning in the beginning because in the past that was really what made me the most sick and was leading me to think that perhaps I had a dairy allergy or intolerance? None the less I alternated cereal days with an omelet day, one day cereal and then one day bagel with cream cheese, cereal and then toast and eggs. One of my favorite FAST breakfasts are the Weight Watcher microwaveable breakfast sandwiches. SO good!!

As soon as I did this, my energy spiked. I didn't have as many low points in the day. I worked out more and I lost five pounds. Mind you with Christmas I gained half back but ya know...lol! It was worth it! I really encourage breakfast to everyone!! :o)
  • Starlyte123
    Options
    Hey hunny!

I was the exact same way and for yeeeears it stopped me from eating breakfast entirely. My first meal wouldn't be until 1 or 2! It was incredibly hard but I powered through it. I started a challenge for myself "Eat Breakfast like a King." I was having a hard time getting all of my calories in and habitually saving them for the last meal of the day instead of "Eat Dinner like a pauper." I knew not only was breakfast going to jump start my metabolism but I needed to spread those calories out. I started planning my breakfasts out in advance.

They had to be at least 250 or more and have some protein/fiber. I chose not to eat cereal every morning in the beginning because in the past that was really what made me the most sick and was leading me to think that perhaps I had a dairy allergy or intolerance? None the less I alternated cereal days with an omelet day, one day cereal and then one day bagel with cream cheese, cereal and then toast and eggs. One of my favorite FAST breakfasts are the Weight Watcher microwaveable breakfast sandwiches. SO good!!

As soon as I did this, my energy spiked. I didn't have as many low points in the day. I worked out more and I lost five pounds. Mind you with Christmas I gained half back but ya know...lol! It was worth it! I really encourage breakfast to everyone!! :o)

I truly like this! It sounds like me and something I could do. Thank you very much! :)
  • rawdefault
    Options
    Try plain fruit or a green smoothie :)