Cheap and Easy Tips to Eat Healthy!

Options
I thought this might be a good thread. What ways have you found that are convenient/cheap ways to eat healthy?

My tip of the day...

I love popcorn, but hate the flavor of microwave popcorn. The artificial butter flavoring, etc., is nasty and if you get some of the higher fat/calorie ones, the sodium can be through the roof. I also don't have an airpopper.

Solution: Buy those brown paper lunch sacks and popcorn kernels... put 2 tablespoons of the kernels into the paper bag, fold over the top 3 small folds, and put it in the microwave on the popcorn button (about 2.5 minutes or so on mine, but microwaves do vary).

Then, I can spray "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray on it with salt to taste and it tastes better to me than the prepackaged microwave bags. Low in calories, high in fiber, and you get a bunch of it!

Replies

• GinaSz3
    GinaSz3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ill have to try that...sounds like a yummy snack.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You are a genius.
  • rawdefault
    Options
    -When frozen veggies are on sale I buy up big, and steam them later in my microwave steamer (delicious AND nutritious!)
    -I tend to make big stir-frys and curries as I buy my veggies in bulk and try to use them as quickly as possible. Once the meal is cooked, I put single-servings into containers and pop them in the freezer - super great for nights when you just don't feel like cooking.
    -Carrots. They go with anything & are good for everything: juicing, sliced in stirfrys & other cooked meals, grated on salads & sandwiches and just to snack on by themselves (or with celery and hommus).
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • rawdefault
    Options
    oh, and i forgot to add you can roast carrots all on their own, with no oil or seasoning. they're super versatile :) i like to roast them & serve with a salad. you can usually buy large bags of carrots for a couple of dollars.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I make all my own bread. That way I can control what's in it, it is low cost, & it tastes better too. :)

I make everything from scratch. At first it is tough, but you get used to it and learn to make extra to freeze for later.
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Some great tips! Thank you. I'm going to try the single serving in containers and freeze thing... because goodness knows there are many a night I don't feel like cooking!

Keep 'em coming!
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere to add splenda and cinnamon to popcorn to give it a little flavor
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump :D
  • casshole
    casshole Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A handful of M&Ms, chocolate chips, raisins, or nuts added to popcorn also helps, and makes it more of a tasty and healthy trail mix if combined...just dont add too much :D
  • lisamaria63
    Options
    A handful of M&Ms, chocolate chips, raisins, or nuts added to popcorn also helps, and makes it more of a tasty and healthy trail mix if combined...just dont add too much :D

YUMMY! All my favorites!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options

YUMMY! All my favorites!

I will have to try this since I love trail mix and popcorn!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What a great idea on the popcorn! I am going to try this too!! I agree, genius! Cheaper too!