I tried to run, I really tried..

LMRoses
LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
..and I don't know what happened. I'm currently around 270lbs, and maybe my body's just not ready for running. Walking was fine, so I woudn up doing a fair bit of that, but after trying to first run interval, I was going to vomit or something..I just got so upset. I feel so weak and horrified with myself now. I do Wii boxing most nights, and an hour yoga class once a week, and I guess I thought my body was ready for something more intensive.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Would it be best to keep going with the Wii and pick up another yoga class each week? Any and all advice welcome. I know I can get fit and healthy, I've seen the success of others here..it just seems so out of reach right now, like my body and I are not on the same wavelength.

Replies

• When starting a running program from a non running lifestyle-- start slow. If all you can do is 30 second intervals then do those for 30 run followed by 1:30 walk for 5 intervals(10 minutes) if you have to. Everyone has to start somewhere. You don't want to be the person at the gym who is so worried about the person next to time running for 45 minutes straight. Worry about what your body can do, in no time flat you will be up to 5 minute run 2 minute walk intervals.
  • I'm doing the Couch To 5K Program! Also known as C25K. I use to be a runner when I was thinner but now i'm trying to get back to where I was and knew that I had to start slow. This is a great program! You should look into it!! :)
  • http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

That's the link. It'll take you to the program page. Hope it helps! You will do great hun!
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    I was going to suggest couch to 5k iphone app but someone already has....it's great!!!
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    First, pat yourself on the back for trying. It shows determination and that you're moving in the right direction.

Agree with doing some type of interval training on the treadmill. Do some walking for about five minutes to warm up. Increase the speed a little and do 30 seconds of running, then return to walking. Keep a notebook handy so you can track the time. So if, for example, you do a "Walk 2 minutes/run 30 seconds" routine 2-3 times a week for the first week; the followng week try a "Walk 1 1/2 minutes/run 30 seconds" routine. Once you get down to 1 minute walks, increase your run to 1 minute so that now you're doing a "Walk 2 minutes/run 1 minute" routine.

Play around with things like walking speed, running speed or minutes. The most important thing is to keep track in a notebook and stay encouraged. It takes time to build stamina.

Keep us posted on your efforts.
  • LMRoses
    Thanks for the suggestion of c25k..but that's what I was trying to do :(
  • MissWendyBird
    MissWendyBird Posts: 15 Member
    I had the same problem. When I was fourteen I could run for ten minutes straight but after a seven year break, I found I couldn't do that right away. I started running back in June again and I could only do a few seconds before having to stop. Now I jog for two minutes before starting the rest of my work-out then I do intervals of thirty seconds to two minutes for twenty minutes every day at a steady pace of four-five mph. Just pace yourself and you'll eventually get to the point where you can run. I'm still getting there after all.
  • Do what you can. I started out only WALKING for ten minutes and i would get light headed. It took weeks to get past that. Pace yourself. Do a minute or two running. Then walk. Keep at it, and your stamina will increase. You can do it, girl!:tongue:
  • Thanks for the suggestion of c25k..but that's what I was trying to do :(

Are you running in quality shoes then? Is it lack of breathe, if so then start even lower amount of time. If all you can do is 10 seconds, then do that till you are ready to up it to 20 seconds, then do that till you can up it to 30 seconds. You might be bothered by seeing others be able to run longer, but don't everyone else in the gym is doing the same thing with someone else. Do what you can do and dont over do it or you can injury youself.
  • mj1721
    mj1721 Posts: 2
    Every body is different. I'd say try to take it easier. Do a super short jog every morning. It will vary how far you can run but just remember, it's mind over matter. Push yourself out of your comfort zone a little bit each time but not so much to where you're vomiting before you even finish. If you can only go as far as a block, that's fine, you know what you need to work on and it is a start. Make sure you are also eating healthy, I know when I have a game that if I filled up on junk food I too always feel like I have to puke after only a short period of time but eating healthy food and healthy amounts really help. Last of all, don't eat right before you work out. I found after a while that I progressed a lot better if I hadn't ate, plus after I exercised I would eat less then i had. Just a few tips, they may seem obvious but you'd be surprised as to how often the little things are over looked.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Hi there, good for you deciding to be a runner! It is sooooo worth it. I would recommend you continue your c25k follow the intervals exactly BUT walk at a comfortable pace during the walk sessions and on the run sessions pick up your walking pace to brisk instead of running. See how your body responds and when you have done 4,5 weeks like that restate the prog with a slightly faster walking pace n very brisk pace reevaluate n then get walking and jogging, you will find it really worth the effort but from someone who has picked up injuries doing too much too fast I strongly rec that you take your time train your body and enjoy the small changes that you make to your body! Good luck
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Hi there, good for you deciding to be a runner! It is sooooo worth it. I would recommend you continue your c25k follow the intervals exactly BUT walk at a comfortable pace during the walk sessions and on the run sessions pick up your walking pace to brisk instead of running. See how your body responds and when you have done 4,5 weeks like that restate the prog with a slightly faster walking pace n very brisk pace reevaluate n then get walking and jogging, you will find it really worth the effort but from someone who has picked up injuries doing too much too fast I strongly rec that you take your time train your body and enjoy the small changes that you make to your body! Good luck

This is a really great idea... slow is always the best way with running... the risks of taking it too quickly are many and you'll thank yourself later for doing it this way... good luck!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    do you do any strength training? I found doing weight training to strengthed my legs helped me alot. When I started I only walked till I reached 440lbs. then I slowly implemented jogging. I now can do almost 1/2 a mile before I gotta slow it to a walk. it takes time. dont give up.
  • LMRoses
    Thanks for the support everyone. My problem is I want to be able to do everything *now*! I really should have realised that I haven't run in a really long time..so I'll have to start really slow. I think I'll start doing 20 second running intervals, with 2 minute brisk walking, or something along those lines, and build up from there. I wish I didn't get so demotivated so easily!

I decided to do some Wii Boxing instead to still get some calories burnt off and work out some of my annoyance..and my husband got mad at me for beating him. So that'll be Wii Boxing for one!
  • saritabandita
    saritabandita Posts: 67 Member
    I started running about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I can't run anymore due to an injury to my foot. What I can tell you is this: Start slow. When I first started I couldn't even run one mile. I also cried when I went on my first "real" run... but I was determined (and had signed up to do a marathon... go figure!). It takes time and persistence. You will be amazed at how much easier it will become, if you just stick with it. In my case, I went from near vomit-status at one mile to being able to go 8 miles without walking once. Six months after that first run, I finished the marathon using a running/walking program and I now feel like I can do just about anything! I've heard great things about the Couch to 5K program... you may also want to check out Jeff Galloway's training program. He advocates doing a walk/run method. Good job getting out there! You've done more with that first run than many people do in a week!! Keep up the great work!
  • . My problem is I want to be able to do everything *now*!

It's a marathon not a sprint. As much as you want to do it all now you have to relearn to be healthy again.
  • LMRoses
    I must try to remember that! Maybe it should become my new mantra. Yeah..I'm not sure 'I'm doing my best' is the best one for me anymore.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Walk instead. Running is high impact, high intensity cardio. You need to get your heart fit enough to run. It's not just about weight - your heart needs to be stronger. Raise your heartrate slowly with walking/ power walking and gradually increase time and speed.

I used to be a 30 second runner - after 30 secs I thought my chest would explode. Now I'm on to training for a half marathon. After unsuccessful running, I did other things. I rode my bike, went to classes and never thought about running again.

Then a year or so later I wanted to run with my Mum - I tried it and to my surprise I was fine! Ok, not very far or for very long, but no heart attack! And I have never had an issue with it since. Take it slow.... don't hurt yourself!
  • Wiitabax
    Wiitabax Posts: 284
    I started running again - I did a 5K a few years back, but now I'm 235 lbs in weight... not so easy!

So, what I did, was started "interval training" - here's some info...

Best method I reckon for building up is walk fast/run and repeat for whatever's comfortable... you can then build it up. I do it in 0.5 mile intervals now, but at first I did it a lot less than that... walk and then jog just a little until I felt time to to walk again - at MY OWN pace.

Another way of doing it is to use a regular 'landmark' such as lamp-posts - walk to one, and then run to next one - might seem weird at first, but again, it helps bulid up without tiring you out too soon! :)

Now - I can comfortably run for a mile.

This takes WEEKS though... so don't try to do it too quickly - I KNOW when I started I wanted to say I could run a mile... but that 0.5 miles was a landmark - and when it happened I felt great.

Hope this is of some use to me - any more info, ask any time!!!

:smile:
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Not really related to running, but a sign of hope....

When I started working out, I had to force myself to stay on the cross trainer for 5 minutes. I'd have to slowly go up a minute per workout, and each time it was hell.

Now? I can do a full hour and even change the resistance to be higher. Hang in there, you'll get it.
This discussion has been closed.