Is the calorie burn calculator accurate?

Options
Hi,
MFP says doing 60 minutes jogging on a treadmill will burn just under 900 calories. This cant be right, surely.
Am I doing something wrong.
Rachel

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    The MFP calculator usually WAY overestimates calories burned. If you can, invest in a HRM, I LOVE mine!!!
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    If you can afford it get an hrm that allows you to put in age/ weigth etc

It will be more accurate

I think mine was around 80$ us but it stores over a weeks worth of info so if you are away from a computer or smart phone for a while you can keep track

You may want to double check your settings on your homepage.

Also if you are heavier like I am you do exert more energy....the bigger you are the harder you work to move.

Hope this helps
  • bainos
    bainos Posts: 99
    Options
    Jogging at 4.5 mph on the treadmill, the calories burned says 1001. My hmr and Nike + sportband say 979. MFP says 950. In the end its all within 100 calories. I enter my sports band and feel the entry is pretty accurate.
  • Candice73
    Candice73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you and did not trust the calories MFP said I was burning..as we are all different and work at different rates!

So I did invest in a really good polar HRM I was lucky and just by accident found one on sale in a david lloyd sports centre as it is an 'older' model but does all I need and also transfers your data to the polar website so you can track. Glad I did as my calories burnt on HRM were less than the estimations on MFP.

It also gives me motivation to burn more calories than the last workout than I did.

Just for record I am 144lbs and 5ft 2in and burn 400 calories in a circuit training class and 360 in Zumba.

I hope that helps x