So tell us about where you live

Options
karenjoy
karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
I was thinking about how we know so little about the world we live in, and that there are people here from all over the place. Maybe we could find out a little something about somewhere we have never been or even heard of. So lets be a tour guide for the place we live...good or bad.

I live in a village on the Isle of Wight, The Isle of Wight is a county and the largest island of England, located in the English Channel, 3–5 miles off the south coast, separated from the mainland by a strait called the Solent. The Isle of Wight is approximately diamond-shaped and covers an area of 380 km2. Slightly more than half of the island, mainly in the west, is designated as the Isle of Wight Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The Island has 258 km2 of farmland, 52 km2 of developed areas, and 92 km of coastline. The landscape of the Island is remarkably diverse, leading to its oft-quoted description of "England in Miniature". West Wight is predominantly rural, with dramatic coastlines dominated by the famous chalk downland ridge, running across the whole island and ending in The Needles stacks The rest of the Island's landscape also has great diversity, with perhaps the most notable habitats being the soft cliffs and sea ledges, which are spectacular features as well as being very important for wildlife, and are internationally protected.

The Island has a rich history, including a brief status as an independent kingdom in the 15th century. Until 1995, in common with Jersey and Guernsey, the island had its own Governor - most notably Lord Mountbatten from 1969–1974, after which he became Lord Lieutenant until his assassination in 1979.

It was home to the poet Alfred Lord Tennyson, and to Queen Victoria, who built her much loved summer residence and final home Osborne House at East Cowes. The island's maritime and industrial history encompasses boat building, sail making, the manufacture of flying boats, the world's first hovercraft and the testing and development of Britain's space rockets. It is home to the Isle of Wight International Jazz Festival, Bestival and the recently-revived Isle of Wight Festival, which, in 1970, was the largest rock music event ever held. The island has some exceptional wildlife and is one of the richest locations of dinosaur fossils in Europe.

Early history

The Isle of Wight is first mentioned in writing by Claudius Ptolemaeus.The Roman historian Suetonius mentions that the entire island was captured by the commander Vespasian, later to become emperor.

At the end of the Roman Empire the island of Vectis as it was known became a Jutish kingdom ruled by King Stuf and his successors until AD 661 when it was invaded by Wulfhere of Mercia and forcibly converted to Christianity at sword point. When he left for Mercia the islanders reverted to paganism.

In AD 685 it was invaded by Caedwalla of Wessex and can be considered to have become part of Wessex. Following the accession of West Saxon kings as kings of all England, it then became part of England..

In 686, it became the last part of England to convert to Christianity.

The island suffered especially from Viking predations. Alfred the Great's navy defeated the Danes in 871 after they had "ravaged Devon and the Isle of Wight".

Middle ages

The Norman Conquest created the position of Lord of the Isle of Wight. Carisbrooke Priory and the fort of Carisbrooke Castle were founded. The island did not come under full control of the Crown until it was sold by the dying last Norman Lady Isabella de Fortibus, to Edward I in 1293.

The Lordship thereafter became a royal appointment, with a brief interruption when Henry de Beauchamp, 1st Duke of Warwick was in 1444 crowned King of the Isle of Wight, with King Henry VI assisting in person at the ceremony, placing the crown on his head. With no male heir, the regal title expired on the death of Henry de Beauchamp.

Henry VIII, who developed the Royal Navy and its permanent base at Portsmouth, fortified the island at Yarmouth, Cowes, East Cowes, and Sandown. Much later, after the Spanish Armada in 1588, the threat of Spanish attacks remained and the outer fortifications of Carisbrooke Castle were built between 1597 and 1602.

Civil war

During the English Civil War King Charles fled to the Isle of Wight, believing he would receive sympathy from the governor, Robert Hammond. Hammond was appalled, and imprisoned the king in Carisbrooke Castle. Charles had originally intended to flee to Jersey but had got lost in the New Forest and missed the boat. Charles was imprisoned here in 1647-48 after his defeat in the English Civil War. At first comfortably accommodated in the Constable's Lodging, his plots to renew the war later made him a closely guarded captive: an attempt to escape was foiled only when he became wedged in the window bars. His daughter, the Princess Elizabeth, died whilst being held prisoner in the Castle. Charles was later removed to London where he was tried and beheaded.

Queen Victoria

Queen Victoria made Osborne House on the Isle of Wight her summer home for many years and, as a result, it became a major holiday resort for fashionable Victorians including Alfred Lord Tennyson, Julia Margaret Cameron, Charles ****ens (who wrote much of David Copperfield here) and members of European royalty.

During her reign, in 1897, the world's first radio station was set up by Marconi, at The Needles Battery, at the western tip of the island.

Modern history

During the Second World War the island was frequently bombed. With its proximity to France the island also had a number of observation stations and transmitters, and was the starting-point for one of the earlier Operation Pluto pipelines to feed fuel to the Normandy landings.

The Needles battery was used as the site for testing and development of the Black Arrow and Black Knight space rockets, subsequently launched from Woomera, Australia.

The Isle of Wight Festival was a very large rock festival that took place near Afton Down, West Wight in 1970, following two smaller concerts in 1968 and 1969. The 1970 show was notable both for being one of the last public performances by Jimi Hendrix and for the number of attendees reaching, by many estimates, over 600,000.

:smile:

Replies

• atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    my lovely tennessee...i wish i could tell you that what i'm about to post, i recited from memory...lol...but i'm not that good =)

TENNESSEE FUN FACTS:

The National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis marks the site where Martin Luther King, Jr., was assassinated in 1968.

On a clear day seven states are visible from Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga.

Bluegrass music originated in Bristol, in northeastern Tennessee.

The largest earthquake in American history, the New Madrid Earthquake, occurred in the winter of 1811-12 in Tennessee. Reelfoot Lake and Lake Counties were created during this earthquake.

The first guide dog for the blind in the U.S. lived in Nashville with her owner Morris Frank. “Buddy” was trained in Switzerland by The Seeing Eye, the first organization to train guide dogs.

The Grand Ole Opry in Nashville is the longest continuously running live radio program in the world. It has broadcast every weekend since 1925.

On October 7, 1916 Georgia Tech beat Cumberland University in a football game by a score of 222 to 0.

More Civil War battles were fought in Tennessee than in any other state except Virginia.

The only monument in the United States honoring both the Union and Confederate armies is located in Greenville at the Green County Courthouse.

Samuel Carter of Elizabethton was the only person in American history to be both an Admiral in the Navy and a General in the Army.

Andrew Johnson held every elective office at the local, state, and federal level, including President of the United States. He served as alderman, mayor, state representative, and state senator from Greeneville. He served as governor and military governor of Tennessee and the United States congressman, senator, and vice president, becoming President of the U.S. after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.

MY LOVELY SMALL TOWN OF MILAN, TN

Milan, Tennessee, in Gibson county, is 21 miles N of Jackson, Tennessee and 90 miles NE of Memphis, Tennessee. The city is home to some 7,664 residents.

The city is named after Milan, Italy. It is also referred to as the “Bullet Town,” because of the presence of Milan Arsenal, which manufactured ammunition during World War II. The city experienced rapid development during World War II because of the presence of Milan Arsenal.

AANNNDDDD...

we are 4262 miles away from each other...that is a long walk (and swim!)vv=)
  • karenjoy
    Options
    Fabulous! I really enjoyed reading that. Thank you for posting!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Suburban North Jersey...30minutes from NYC
    We don't all have wacky accents and look like the cast from the Jersey Shore...LOL
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Portland, Oregon

Portland is a city located in the Northwestern United States, near the confluence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers in the state of Oregon. As of July 2009, it has an estimated population of 582,130,[5] making it the 30th most populous in the United States. Portland is Oregon's most populous city, and the third most populous city in the Pacific Northwest, after Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Approximately 2.2 million people live in the Portland metropolitan area (MSA), the 23rd most populous in the United States as of July 2006.[6]

Portland was incorporated in 1851 and is the county seat of Multnomah County.[7] The city extends slightly into Washington County to the west and Clackamas County to the south. It is governed by a commission-based government headed by a mayor and four other commissioners.

The City of Portland has been referred to as one of the most environmentally friendly or "green" cities in the world.[8] The city and region are noted for strong land-use planning[9] and investment in light rail, supported by Metro, a distinctive regional government. Portland is known for its large number of microbreweries and microdistilleries, as well as its coffee enthusiasm. It is also the home of the Trail Blazers NBA team.

Portland lies in the Marine west coast climate region, marked by warm, dry summers and rainy but temperate winters. This climate is ideal for growing roses, and for more than a century, Portland has been known as "The City of Roses" with many rose gardens—most prominently the International Rose Test Garden.

Portland was almost "Boston, Oregon"! Portland was named by the flip of a coin by its two original settlers, Asa Lovejoy and Francis W. Pettygrove. Lovejoy wanted to name the new settlement after his hometown of Boston; Pettygrove wanted to name it after his hometown of Portland, Maine. Pettygrove won the coin toss, best two out of three.

Portland's Two Rivers: The Willamette River (pronounced "will-AAAAAH-met") divides Portland into its east and west sections; "Downtown" is technically only the part on the west side of the river. About seven miles north of downtown, the mighty Columbia River divides the state of Oregon and the state of Washington.

No Sales Tax Oregon is one of those rare states that has no sales tax (except on hotels and car rentals). We do make up for it by having a fairly high income tax (9%). However, when you weigh the overall tax burden of Oregon, we usually come out about average of all the 50 states.

Can't pump your own gas. Oregon is one of only two states (New Jersey is the other) where ordinary people can't pump their own gas - you must have an attendant do it. I'm not kidding!!! Native Oregonians seem to love this tradition and every attempt to get rid of this rule has been defeated. It is kind of nice in the winter time when it's cold and you don't want to stand in the rain and pump your gas or just don't want to get your hands dirty.

White city: Portland is the whitest big city in the US, according to recent census data (over 70% white). Today Portland is considered liberal and tolerant - although it's easier to be "tolerant" when most people are of the same race. But, Portland has a racist past that consigned blacks to a few neighborhoods in NE Portland. For better or worse, today those black neighborhoods are becoming more and more white ("gentrified") as housing prices skyrocket in Portland's urban neighborhoods, enticing poor and middle class homeowners in these neighborhoods to sell out.

Portland Gathering Places: Pioneer Courthouse Square downtown (on the MAX line, between Yamhill/Morrison and Broadway/6th Ave) is the city's semi-official Meeting Place - a red brick square where little events are staged, bands sometimes play, etc. Workers downtown can sit on the steps on a nice day and eat their lunch - a great place for people watching, also (just watch out for the mostly harmless homeless people inhabiting corners of the square). In the summer, there are fair-type events almost every other weekend at Waterfront Park (west bank of the Willamette) downtown. First week of June is the biggest part of the Rose Festival, complete with carnival rides, music, etc. July 4th Weekend there's the Waterfront Blues Festival (enough blues music to satisfy everyone - but very cheap to get in). There's also an Oregon Brewer's Festival (beer "tasting"), the Bite of Portland (food "tasting"), and a few other events.

The Portland Rose Festival : each year for about a month (mostly in the first week of June), the city celebrates its annual Rose Festival, including two big parades (Starlight Parade Saturday night, Grand Floral Parade following Saturday morning), the crowning of the Rose Festival Queen, festivities at Waterfront Village (at Tom McCall Waterfront Park, carnival ride-type stuff), dragon boat races on the Willamette River, etc. Several big ships, largely from the US Coast Guard and Navy, come into port and tie up at Waterfront Park, where tours are usually available.
  • saj9291113
    Options
    We don't all have wacky accents

Thats what you think!!!!!
    I live in Chicago and don't think I have a Chicago accent then I went to Disneyworld the last two years with the kids and multiple times people said "you're from Chicago, I can hear your accent" WHAT, we don't sound like that, well at least da bears are still in the playoffs.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    i live in Downeast Maine.

Has a population of about 1.2 million people.

Is recognized as one of the most healthful, beautiful and interesting states in the nation.

Is about 320 miles long and 210 miles wide, and has a total area of approximately 33,215 square miles.

Is almost as big as all of the other five New England States put together.

Claims America's first chartered town - York, chartered in 1641.

Has 17 million acres of forestland and 3,500 miles of indescribably beautiful coastline, with bays, coves and similar indentations. Maine has 60 lighthouses including Portland Head Light commissioned by George Washington.

The State of Maine is the only state in the United States of America that shares its border with only one state.

Maine also sees the growth of the most number of blueberries in the nation. It remains to be the sole place which has the largest produce of blueberries grown either in the wild or cultivated specially.

Around 90% of the land out here is forested area. Therefore, it is also known as the Pine Tree State.

Maine also has the largest toothpick manufacturing plant in the entire of United States. This plant produces around 20 million toothpicks in a single day.

The springs seen in the western areas of Maine are the main source used to produce bottled water.

Maine has around 5,500 miles of gorgeous coastlines and about 2000 islands.

The highest point in the State of Maine is Mount Katahdin at 5,268 feet above sea level.

Inventions - The following items were all invented in Maine:
    Donut hole machine
    Earmuffs
    Motor ice boat (a forerunner of the snowmobile)
    Power drill
    Snow plow
    Thermostat
    Toothpick

The most eastern point of the United States is at Quoddy Head Light in Maine.

The Appalachian Trail starts in northern Georgia and continues through South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont and ends in Maine at Mt. Katahdin, Baxter Peak, Baxter State Park.

More blueberries are grown in Maine than any other state.

Acadia National Park is the second most visited park in the United States. Second only to Yellowstone.

Whale watching is a popular Maine attraction as are alpine and cross country skiing and white water rafting.
  • karenjoy
    Options
    Excellent! Roaddog and Karleyyy thank you both! :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    We don't all have wacky accents

Thats what you think!!!!!
    I live in Chicago and don't think I have a Chicago accent then I went to Disneyworld the last two years with the kids and multiple times people said "you're from Chicago, I can hear your accent" WHAT, we don't sound like that, well at least da bears are still in the playoffs.

LOL..true!!!
    I was a college recruiter though for 7/8 yrs and hit about every state there is and was always told I didn't look or sound like I was from Jersey (is that a compliment..LOL)
  • carcar63
    carcar63 Posts: 158
    Options
    We don't all have wacky accents and look like the cast from the Jersey Shore...LOL

That's funny, I grew up in Jersey, didn't think I had an accent either till I moved to California and everyone said I talked (tawked) funny. I'm in the Poconos in PA now.
    I agree with the Jersey shore thing and have to add House wives from Jersey too. Like we need more things for people to rag on about Jersey. lol
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan.

A severe jobs crisis will continue to haunt Michigan as the state’s unemployment rate tops 15 percent through the end of 2011, according to a University of Michigan economic forecast released this morning.

Michigan’s unemployment rate will average 15.8 percent in 2010, the worst annual rate in “at least 40 years,” according to the forecast. The average rate in 1982 - the peak of another dreadful economic crisis for the state - was 15.6 percent.

The economists project the unemployment rate will average 15.4 percent in 2011. By comparison, the average unemployment rate for 2009 is expected to be 14.2 percent.

"Sobering statistics, almost surreal numbers, a situation crying out for a way to put a better face on things," U-M economist George Fulton said.

By mid-2011, the Michigan economy will be missing 20 percent of the jobs it had in 2000 and about 75 percent of the auto jobs it had then.

U-M economists Joan Crary, Don Grimes and Fulton delivered the forecast this morning at the 57th annual Economic Outlook Conference at the Rackham School of Graduate Studies. U-M economists yesterday projected the U.S. unemployment rate would top 9 percent through 2011.

Fulton offered some hope as the rate of job losses is declining, if not reversing.

“In Michigan, prolonged difficulties have become a way of life,” he said. “But the Michigan economy is in a more encouraging position now than it was at the beginning of 2009.”

Economists are typically wary of predicting trends beyond a couple years, but the forecast indicates “we may see modest job gains for 2012."

Michigan’s unemployment rate in October was 15.1 percent, down slightly from 15.3 in September - a decline attributed partly to seasonal hiring.

For Michigan workers, 2009 was a disastrous year. The state will have lost 282,900 jobs this year - nearly three times the rate U-M economists projected in last year's forecast. Some 210,000 of those jobs were lost in the first half of 2009.

The job losses in 2009 were heavily concentrated in manufacturing, construction, trade and utilities. The only sectors that added jobs in 2009 were private education and health service (4,000 new jobs) and government (7,000).

But U-M’s forecast predicts a sharp reversal in employment at local government as the state’s budget crisis prompts municipalities to shed workers.

The number of lost jobs in Michigan is expected to dip to 84,900 in 2010 and 36,000 in 2011.

Michigan gained some 793,000 jobs from 1991 to 2000, but will have lost 937,000 jobs from 2000 to 2011, according to the forecast.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    my lovely tennessee...i wish i could tell you that what i'm about to post, i recited from memory...lol...but i'm not that good =)

TENNESSEE FUN FACTS:

The National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis marks the site where Martin Luther King, Jr., was assassinated in 1968.

On a clear day seven states are visible from Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga.

Bluegrass music originated in Bristol, in northeastern Tennessee.

The largest earthquake in American history, the New Madrid Earthquake, occurred in the winter of 1811-12 in Tennessee. Reelfoot Lake and Lake Counties were created during this earthquake.

The first guide dog for the blind in the U.S. lived in Nashville with her owner Morris Frank. “Buddy” was trained in Switzerland by The Seeing Eye, the first organization to train guide dogs.

The Grand Ole Opry in Nashville is the longest continuously running live radio program in the world. It has broadcast every weekend since 1925.

On October 7, 1916 Georgia Tech beat Cumberland University in a football game by a score of 222 to 0.

More Civil War battles were fought in Tennessee than in any other state except Virginia.

The only monument in the United States honoring both the Union and Confederate armies is located in Greenville at the Green County Courthouse.

Samuel Carter of Elizabethton was the only person in American history to be both an Admiral in the Navy and a General in the Army.

Andrew Johnson held every elective office at the local, state, and federal level, including President of the United States. He served as alderman, mayor, state representative, and state senator from Greeneville. He served as governor and military governor of Tennessee and the United States congressman, senator, and vice president, becoming President of the U.S. after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.

MY LOVELY SMALL TOWN OF MILAN, TN

Milan, Tennessee, in Gibson county, is 21 miles N of Jackson, Tennessee and 90 miles NE of Memphis, Tennessee. The city is home to some 7,664 residents.

The city is named after Milan, Italy. It is also referred to as the “Bullet Town,” because of the presence of Milan Arsenal, which manufactured ammunition during World War II. The city experienced rapid development during World War II because of the presence of Milan Arsenal.

AANNNDDDD...

we are 4262 miles away from each other...that is a long walk (and swim!)vv=)

I'm going to be traveling to TN in the spring to see if it's an area I'd like to live in. I'm thinking "yes."
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I live in Lakewood, Colorado, a suburb of Denver. Here's a few fun facts:

Colorado is the fittest state in the Country. My guess is because we have so many year-round outdoor activities.

We have, on average, 300 days of sunshine.

We are home to the highest paved road in North America, which is Mt Evans road that leads all the way to the peak.

Medical Marijuana is legal here in Colorado. Not that interesting but it sure is funny to have my relatives up from Texas and see the shock on their faces when there is a pot store on every other block.

Colfax Ave in Denver is the longest continuous street in the country. Too bad the whole way through is pretty crappy neighborhoods.

Colorao has more microbrews than any other state. (Is it any wonder that I love beer so much!?)

The Royal Gorge near Canon City has the highest suspension bridge in the world. It is also home to my favorite Colorado winery, Holy Cross. They have a fabulous Rose.

Colorado's southwest corner borders Arizona, New Mexico and Utah the only place in America where the corners of four states meet.

Chipotle was founded in Denver, right across the street from my first apartment. No wonder I need to lose weight.

We are home to world famous Red Rocks Ampitheatre. In my opinion, the absolute best place concert venue, period.

I adore my home. I love my mountains, my sunshine and my snow. I don't think I could find a better place to live.
  • addie807
    Options
    I live in the City of Walnut Creek, California. Known for the Walnut Trees we have around here.My mom tells me that she remembers our neighborhood being nothing but Walnut Orchards. I never though Walnut Creek could flood but it did one time back in 19 something...i forget which year...way before I was born. Some of the oldest resturants are McDonald's, Caspers(hot dogs), etc. The town went from Walnut Orchards to a city with everything nearby.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    I'm sure there's a bunch of cool historical things I could put down, but...

I live in Buffalo, New York.
    --birthplace of the chicken wings (though the Anchor bar wings are probably the worse I've ever had)
    --And frankly, any mental image you get when you think "Buffalo" is probably totally true.

Just watch the movie "Canadian Bacon", which was shot totally in the area, and it'll be EXACTLY how this area looks still to this day, how the people are, etc. As my then brother-in-law said when visiting here for the first time, "Wow...it's like all the color got sucked out of the place. Like a Black and White movie."
    :indifferent:

HOWEVER, our "home" is Florida, so we go there for shopping and any time we actually want to do something fun. :laugh:
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    My wife did a great job telling you about where we live, so I won't repeat it. I'm originally from Scarborough, Ontario, Canada which is a suburb of Toronto. I never had an accent until I moved to England.

A bit of Wiki about Toronto, home of perennial losers and much loved Toronto Maple Leafs.

Toronto (pronounced /təˈrɒntoʊ/, colloquially /ˈtrɒnoʊ/ or /təˈrɒnoʊ/) is the provincial capital of Ontario, and the largest city in Canada. It is located in Southern Ontario on the northwestern shore of Lake Ontario. With over 2.5 million residents, it is the seventh most populous municipality in North America. Toronto is at the heart of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), and is part of a densely populated region in Southern Ontario known as the Golden Horseshoe, which is home to over 8.1 million residents—approximately 25% of Canada's population. The census metropolitan area (CMA) had a population of 5,113,149, and the Greater Toronto Area had a population of 5,555,912 in the 2006 Census.
    As Canada's economic capital, Toronto is considered an alpha world city by the Globalization and World Cities (GaWC) study group[7] and is one of the top financial centres in the world.[8][9] Toronto's leading economic sectors include finance, business services, telecommunications, aerospace, transportation, media, arts, film, television production, publishing, software production, medical research, education, tourism, and sports industries.[10][11] The city is also a major centre of higher education and research, home to many colleges and universities, including the University of Toronto, consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the world and highest-ranked in Canada. The Toronto Stock Exchange, the world's eighth largest in terms of market value, is headquartered in the city, along with the most Canadian corporate headquarters of a major Canadian city.
    Toronto's population is cosmopolitan and international,[12] reflecting its role as an important destination for immigrants to Canada.[13] Toronto is one of the world's most diverse cities by percentage of non-native-born residents, as about 49% of the population were born outside Canada.[12][13][14] As a result, the city was recognized by UNESCO as the most ethnically-diverse city in the world.[15][16] Toronto is consistently rated as one of the world's most livable cities by the Economist Intelligence Unit[17] and the Mercer Quality of Living Survey.[18] In addition, Toronto was ranked as the most expensive Canadian city in which to live in 2006.[19] Residents of Toronto are called Torontonians. Toronto will host the 2015 Pan American Games.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    I grew up on the opposite end of the city from you, Billy, in Mississauga, Ontario. I know live in Victoria, BC.

Victoria (pronounced /vɪkˈtɔəriə/) is the capital city of British Columbia, Canada and is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island off Canada's Pacific coast. The city has a population of about 78,000 within the metropolitan area of Greater Victoria with about 330,000.

Victoria is about 100 kilometres (62 miles) from BC's largest city of Vancouver on the mainland. Victoria is close to the United States, about 100 kilometres (62 miles) from Seattle by airplane or ferry and 40 kilometres (25 miles) from Port Angeles, Washington by ferry across the Juan de Fuca Strait.

Named after Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, Victoria is one of the oldest cities in the Pacific Northwest, with British settlement beginning in 1841. The city has retained a large number of its historic buildings, in particular its two most famous landmarks, the British Columbia Parliament Buildings (finished in 1897 and home of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia) and the Empress hotel (opened in 1908). The city's Chinatown is the second oldest in North America after San Francisco's. The region's Coast Salish First Nations peoples established communities in the area long before non-native settlement, possibly several thousand years earlier, which had large populations at the time of European exploration. Victoria, like many Vancouver Island communities, continues to have a sizable First Nations presence, composed of peoples from all over Vancouver Island and beyond.

Nicknamed the "City of Gardens", Victoria is a clean, attractive city and a popular tourism destination. The city is popular with students, who come to attend the many universities and colleges, and with retirees, who come to enjoy the mild and usually snow-free climate of the area as well as the relaxed pace of the city.

At the International airport weather station, daily temperatures rise above 30 °C (86 °F) on an average of one or two days per year and fall below −5 °C (23 °F) on an average of only 2 nights per year. During the winter, the average daily high and low temperatures are 8 and 4 °C (46.4 and 39.2 °F), respectively. The summer months are equally mild, with an average high temperature of 22 °C (72 °F) and low of 11 °C (51.8 °F), although inland areas often experience warmer daytime highs. Victoria does occasionally experience more extreme temperatures. The highest temperature ever recorded in Victoria was 36.1 °C (97 °F) on July 16, 1941,[8] while the coldest temperature on record was −16 °C (3.2 °F) on December 29, 1968 and January 28, 1950.

During the summer months, Victoria is the driest major city in Canada.

Victoria averages just 26 cm (10.2 in) of snow annually, or about half that of Vancouver. Every few decades, Victoria receives very large snowfalls, including the more than 100 cm (39.4 in) of snow that fell in December 1996. On the other hand, roughly one third of winters will see virtually no snow, with less than 5 cm (1.97 in) falling during the entire season. When snow does fall, it rarely lasts long on the ground. Victoria averages just 2–3 days per year with at least 5 cm (1.97 in) of snow on the ground.

The rain shadow effect[citation needed] also means that Victoria gets more sunshine than surrounding areas. With 2,223 hours of sun annually, Victoria is one of the sunniest places in British Columbia, and gets more sunshine than most other cities in Canada except those in the southern Prairies.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    jewelchristian my brother lived in Victoria for a few years, and now lives in Campbell River. I have had high tea at the Empress.

I consider myself quite fortunate. I've been to lots of the places mentioned here. Yes, even Buffalo!

Bristol, Tennessee holds a warm place in my heart. On a trip to Florida our car was acting up, so we stopped at a Walmart in Bristol and bought a fuel pump, the suspected source of the trouble. It was after 5 PM on a Friday, so Walmart wouldn't install it. We limped the car about Bristol, and came upon a auto service shop where a couple of guys were having a beer outside after work. We asked the guy if he would put the pump in for us, and he said 'We're closed, but what the heck.' He did the job and I asked him 'How much?' He said 'Give me five bucks' I said 'You saved our butt, take ten!'
  • Winter23
    Winter23 Posts: 142
    Options
    I've only been in Alberta for 4 years. Since I live here I will give you the low down for Ab and Calgary. But let it be known I am a Born and bred British Columbian lol! Born in Kamloops BC, but Grew up in the Victoria Area in a small town called Sooke. I will forever be an Island Girl :) Even if I do get excited for Stampede lol!

Alberta was named after Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. It was proclaimed a Province on September 1, 1905.

http://alberta.ca/home/182.cfm

History of Calgary, AB ( the city i live in). Home of the Stampede and NHL Hockey Team Calgary Flames, and CFL Team the Calgary Stampeders.

http://www.livingin-canada.com/climate-calgary.html These are averages, the temp range can be from -40 c in the winter plus wind chill to + 35 in the summer. For instance on Dec 12th 2009 (day we left for Mexico) it was -35.

In 1875 a foot weary troop of North West Mounted Policemen topped the valley rim and
    saw what they were looking for: two clean rivers, forests of spruce and Douglas Fir on
    the shady north face, poplars tracking the river's edge. It was the ideal place to build a
    fort, and though they had no reason to look that far ahead, it was the ideal place to build a city too.

First called simply "The Elbow" or "Bow River Fort" then briefly "Brisebois" by Inspector
    A.E.Brisebois. This was not acceptable to Brisebois's superior officers and Colonel James McLeod
    came up with the alternate title "Calgary" after his home in the Scottish Highlands.

The fort happened at Calgary because of whisky and the Indian tribes abused by its
    trade, but Calgary formed around quite different purposes. The rich grassy foothills to
    the west, fescue grasses in the rolling land to the northeast, the vast grass prairie to the
    east and southeast. The robe trade had removed the free roaming buffalo from the
    grasslands, so the Canadian government decided to use grass and cattle as a first stage
    in the process of colonization and opened the territory to ranching.

The railway came in 1883 and pioneer ranchers poured in from across Canada and
    beyond. In 1884, with a population of 4,000, Calgary was officially proclaimed a city
    . Its first boom was on.

Calgary started out looking like most western towns: a series of wood frame houses,
    usually two story, with the occasional wooden church steeples and a city hall clock
    tower. The town was destined for a change, that change came in the form of the great
    fire of 1886.

Fire fighters did their best, but a large portion of town burned down in spite of them.
    The results were, those about to build considered materials more fire proof than wood. The
    answer was found sticking from the banks of the Bow in several nearby locations, sandstone.

The cool, yellow stone was not only practical, it was attractive and for more than
    twenty years, local quarries couldn't quarry fast enough to keep up with the demand. Calgary
    was suddenly a city with an image, "The Sandstone City" an image separate from
    other cities and arguable superior. Building in sandstone became more than mere fashion,
    each school, bank or private mansion built from it was a contribution to identity, an act of local patriotism.

By 1912 , it had a reliable supply of natural gas, it had a street railway, it had a
    vaudeville house and a 1500 seat, first class theatre, the Sherman Grand.

At the peak of the surge in 1912, with 47,000 people living in Calgary, something
    happened that was destined to out last the Sandstone.

A cowboy promoter by the name of Guy Wea**** talked four of the most powerful men
    from the Calgary area into financially backing an experiment called the Calgary
    Stampede. "The Big Four", Pat Burns, Archie McLean, George Lane and A.E. Cross,
    planted the seeds of what was to grow into the Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth.

Although one in every three citizens turned out for that stampede, it still lost money.
    Wea**** did not return to try again until 1919. Since then, the Calgary Show has
    never looked back. In 1923, it was merged with the Calgary Industrial Exhibition to become
    the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede. for 10 days each July, Calgarians put away their
    business suits, grab their white Stetsons and join one million visitor s for a noisy
    celebration of the Old West.

After 1913, the boom in Calgary real estate faltered and the sandstone was exhausted.
    The cost of adding to the city's sandstone image eclipsed the desire to do so.

Just when it seemed that Calgary might have to content itself with a less than dynamic
    future, oil made its presence known in 1914 with the Dingman well in nearby Turner
    Valley. This was to be one of the shortest booms ever, lasting from May to August
    1914, coming to an abrupt halt with the outbreak of World War I.

The first World War hit Calgary hard thousands of young men left to join the war
    effort, hundreds would not return.

In 1924 the roar of high pressure oil and gas erupting from a drill stem, Royalite drilled
    below the Dingman well and struck it rich. Through '25 and '26, well after well was
    sunk and the flares from the successes were so brilliant that it was nearly daylight at
    midnight in Calgary, twenty miles away. In Calgary, life took up where it had left of in 1914. This
    boom would not begin to sputter until 1927.

The Depression of the 30's hit Calgary hard, those with savings weathered the 30's
    best, but thanks to a penchant for speculation, Calgarians had investments instead

The Depression ended in 1939 with the start of World War II, the strong demand for
    oil drained the Turner Valley oilfield south of Calgary. The effects of the war on Calgary
    differed little from those on other Canadian cities. Many young men lift to fight, to
    many didn't return. At the end of the war, the long pent desire to get rolling again, to know
    prosperity in peacetime, was as strong in Calgary as anywhere, and Calgary had the
    gift in the ground to do it with. Turner Valley wasn't going to last forever, but it wasn't the
    only oil formation in Alberta either. In 1947, oil was found at Leduc and, though the field
    was only fifteen miles from Edmonton, Calgary managed to keep an administrative grip on
    the bonanza that followed.

In the 50's Calgary became the fastest growing city in Canada and it stayed that way
    for a long time. From 100,000 in 1947, it mushroomed to 200,000 by 1955 and 325,000
    by 1965.

The growth continued to center on oil, with reliable and constant help from the
    agricultural industries. The establishment as oil capital in the heyday of Turner Valley held, and as
    the oil patch spread across provincial boundaries and into the untapped North, Calgary
    remained the heart of the industry.

After the formation of OPEC sent oil prices spiraling upward in the 70's, a fresh boom
    began in Calgary making past booms look tame.

At the peak of the boom, 3000 people a month were arriving in Calgary. Old Calgary,
    what little was left, was being smashed down by the city block to make way for the
    new. The pressure to accommodate the boom was such that there really wasn't time for
    master planning. The buildings were approved with little thought given to the views to the
    relationship of one building to the rest.

The recession that had much of the rest of the world in its grip finally found Calgary in
    1982. Some would say the recession was brought on by : the federal government's
    National Energy Program , the failing cohesiveness of OPEC, Reaganomics, or a
    world oil glut. Whatever the cause the boom in Calgary had come to an end and was going
    the other way. Minute vacancy rates shot up to 20% for office space downtown. Full
    employment became 15% unemployment and the trains going east were fuller then
    the ones coming west.

Stereotypes live long and its hard to change them. Calgary has been known from the
    beginning as a cow town and still has that wild west image. The reality, is to expect a
    forest of Manhattan like sky scrapers, one will see the impressive and monumental new
    municipal building nest to the well preserved sandstone structure of old City Hall. The
    Olympics has left us with the legacy of the country's best hockey arena, the Saddle dome.
    The speed skating oval is simply a marvel of architecture and technology, only the second
    covered structure of this kind in the world. We are proud of a large and still growing
    university and three institutions of college rank. A new, very functional rapid transit system
    links residential areas with downtown in minutes. But the Calgary of today will welcome
    you to our city with a traditional, warm "Howdy ".

With Calgary's large ethnic presence, one can delight themselves with the best gourmet meals
    and a variety of events virtually from around the would.

Howdy world!
    Welcome to Calgary

Still today, businesses encourage their employees (even in offices) to wear jeans and western shirts. Stampede pancake breakfasts are held all over the city, every morning for the full 10 days. There are fireworks every night after the Grand Stand Show, which by the way is AMAZING! Even if you aren't into the whole rodeo/chuck wagon thing, there is plenty to do and see. Free concerts every day and night to boot. And Some Big names every year, some free some are paid concerts. Lots kids stuff, games, rides and kids concerts. Bobs and Lolo, Barney sometimes, Dora, Diego, Thomas the Tank Engine was even there last summer.

Calgary is surrounded by lots of parks and plenty of green space. Lot's of trails, hiking, camping and we are only a short drive to the Rocky mountains (I can see them from my living room window).

The movie Cool Running was shot here in Calgary at Canada Olympic Park where the 1988 Winter Olympics were held. Even part of the Calgary Zoo made it into the movie.

The Zoo is a fun place to visit too. Lots to see, a carousel and train for the kids, and a big playground.

Part of summer fun is to float down the river on a raft, I haven't done this as of yet, but it is a popular way to spend the hot summer days.
  • sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    I live in Lancaster, CA about 50 miles north of Los Angeles. I am originally from the city of Orange in Orange County, 5 minutes away from Disneyland. I don't have nearly as many facts about Lancaster as you all have for your towns. I know that it is not a very old city, maybe 100 years old tops. It is the high desert and gets cold in Winter and HOT in Summer. We are surrounded by mountains in all directions and in the Winter it is beautiful to see all the snow on those mountains. We are the only region in the world that has Joshua Trees, if you don't know what they are google the image, they are different than any other tree around. I personally think they are ugly but they are protected here and some people just love them. The only fun fact I know is that Judy Garland graduated high school here and there is a house where she grew up that they may turn into a museum.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I currently am stationed in Colorado. But I'm from a tiny town Era, Texas.

Era is about an hour north of Dallas and 20 min south of the Oklahoma border
    -If you goole map Era,TX you will have to zoom in to actually see it
    -Its pronounced like Ear-ah
    -I don't know the poplulation, but I know there are more cows than people
    -there is 1 flashing light, off of FM (farm to market rd) 72, that is actually in Valley View city limits and if you miss the light you miss the town
    -There is no gas station, just 3 churches, a single chair salon, a feed mill, a post office that would fit inside many peoples living rooms, and a school K-12 about 400 kids. My graduating class was 22.
    -Era is named after a woman who lived there many years ago, I believe she started the school
    -The elementary building was originally the highschool building and the parking lot used to be the football field
    -The teachers house that my mom lives in was built in the 1950's
    -One day a year (homecoming week) kids who own horsed will ride them to school.
    -The closest movie theatre is 40 miles away