no workout plan.. bad thing?

Bzbear2
Bzbear2 Posts: 109
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

So I am a real plan person. I love to make lists, cross things off..

But for some reason, I am just not that motivated by the idea of having a set workout plan. Because of this site I have been SOOO motivated to workout - I do at least something every day - but I haven't been following a plan, just basically picking and choosing daily.

My question is.. do you think that's a bad thing? or is it maybe good because I get a lot of variety?

Also - does anyone have any good "plans" that are varied! My one big problem is strength training, because I think in order to see results I have to work my muscles on a regular basis! Help!!!

Replies

• elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    The best workout plan for you is a plan you enjoy and can stick with! Plus, your body eventually gets accustomed to an exercise if you do the exact same thing every day. Variety is good! :smile:

I don't have a 'plan' myself. I don't actually set aside specific time to work out. I ride my bike to work, which pretty much forces me to exercise whether I want to or not... at least, if I want to keep my job. :wink: I also walk pretty often (various errands, trips to the store, walking to the bus stop, etc).

Though lately I've been thinking I better start strength training again... kinda stalling with the weight loss. :frown:
  • VARIETY ROCKS

sorry for the time warp back into the 80"s

crap I just Dated myself!!!!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Look through some magizines or online for some workouts, Pick the ones that you like and put a schedule together. Then switch them up every month so you don't get bored. Mix and match some cardio and strength building.
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    If you like having a plan to check things off, make a daily "To Do List" and write down what ever exercise you think you want to do that day. I follow the Turbo Fire plan and love marking it off everyday, (it has a calendar with it) It does cardio and has strength training days also. Or if I feel like I need more strength training I do the Jackie Wariner X Treme DVD. It always makes me sore. Best of luck.
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    I'm the same way. I have to put working out on my to do list so I can have the satisfaction of crossing it off. I like the 5 Factor Fitness Plan. It is 5 strength exercises 25 minutes a day plus some cardio. I get fast results and it is quick and easy to do. This is the workout plan that got Haley Berry into her Catwoman suit for the movie. He does a lot of personal training for the stars. I found the book at a resale bookstore for $3.

http://www.5factor.com/Pages/The-Diet/
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    i do the same thing :) its not a bad thing at all!!! as long as you exercise and burn calories i don't think it really matters if you have a set regiment workout or not! one day i'll do the elliptical, another day i will do a work out dvd, another day i will go run on the treadmill... the only set workouts i have are on Tuesdays and Thursdays because that's zumba class! Lol.
    You're doing great! Just do what works for you!
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Indeed, variety does work, however, - (and this is only my opinion) - for me, it takes some time to get my form down properly when working out (at least with the weight training portion / abs, etc). I have known many people who say they can do 50 squats no problem, or 100 sit ups, but usually, if the form is correct, they are a lot harder - for this reason, I would suggest choosing a group of exercises you like, and rotate them so you don't get bored, but that you can master the form and pace.

as posted above, keeping a list of what you do choose to do is good as well so that you can track progress as you go along (and you can check it off ;-))

Good Luck!!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    You don't have to work your muscles everyday to have results. You do need to feed your body with proper nutrients to have results. Protein and a clean diet. I normally don't have a workout plan bc I know in my head what I am goin to do everyday after I wake up. I don't plan ahead and say well tomorrow I am goin to work such and such muscle group... Bc I don't always have the energy the next morning to get up and go to the gym which is why sometimes I make example a Wednesday my rest day instead of my planned Saturday my rest day. I just know that no matter what I am goin to work every muscle group @ least twice a week and train as hard as I possibly can. Example: I did chest and back yesterday, Legs today and chances are I will do shoulders, biceps and triceps tomorrow. Then I will either repeat the process on Wednesday startin with chest and back or I will do P90X ploymetrics. I always do cardio for 30 minutes after my weight training. That is one thing that you definitly need. I hope that I could be of some help.
  • Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    thank you everyone for the great suggestions! I agree that if I'm able to stick with it, then something must be right :)
This discussion has been closed.