Wii Fit - Your reviews requested

Options
I'm thinking of treating myself to a Wii Fit this week as a birthday gift to me. If you have experience with one, I'd love to hear all about it. I want to make sure I will enjoy the workout and see results.

Thanks!
Jen

Replies

• rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options
    I have it, but I like Just Dance 2. Its more fun to me and I sweat alot more! Plus great way to spend time with my daughter.

Misty :)
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Am going to try it to!!:happy:
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have a wii fit and I love it. Up until last week when I borrowed my friends EA Active that was basically all I used for workouts and I have lost over 20 lbs. It's fun, you can pick what you do for your workout and you also unlock levels as you go to make things harder when you want to do them. To me it was very much worth the money.
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A lot of people love the Wii Fit - I used to have it, but sold it when our Wii died. I did like it, but I didn't love it. I didn't like how after each activity (that didn't seem to last that long) I had to stop and fiddle around setting up the next activity. It made me wonder if I was getting a good enough workout - I wasn't sure if my heart rate was staying up there at a calorie burning rate. Just my opinion! :)
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    I have heard good things about the xbox kinect stuff....you may want to give that a try it has a fitness package and a sport package and there is not controller to handle...
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed mine. I like that fact that they are 3-5 minute inteval and I can pick and choose what I am in the mood for. I altenate between my treadmill and my Wii fit. You can by more difficult games once you get used to the ones that come with it.

The time does fly on it too.
  • skinnyclothes
    Options
    I love it and it is so worth the money. You get to chose a personal trainer and go through different levels. It also keeps track of your weight for you. Make sure you get the wii fit plus it has so much more to offer.
  • 6Alsmom
    6Alsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    I"ve had my Wii Fit for a little over a year and I love it! I think the best workout I get is with the boxing. It's fun and makes me want to use it. I do also use the gym I have available at work for resistance training. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I like my wii fit, but I dont' use it much anymore. I have the wii just dance II, and the wii shape. I think you get more of a workout, when you don't have to stand on the balance board.
  • vdub88
    vdub88 Posts: 79
    Options
    what about wii fit vs EA sports. I have the original wii fit and I keep seeing EA sports and I am thinking this might be more entertaining and harder work. just thinking. any one got a comparision.
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I did like it, but I didn't love it. I didn't like how after each activity (that didn't seem to last that long) I had to stop and fiddle around setting up the next activity. It made me wonder if I was getting a good enough workout - I wasn't sure if my heart rate was staying up there at a calorie burning rate. Just my opinion! :)

I have the same concern. With the exception of the hula hoop, I didn't break a sweat. (I don't do the running; my knees can't handle it) I bought the Michael Jackson Experience and sweat much more on it than the Fit. I do love the fit though. I love how it measures my weight and BMI. It gets me off the couch.
  • onefasternurse
    onefasternurse Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I recently upgraded to the Wii Fit Plus. We love it! It even allows us to monitor our overweight pug's weight loss progress. My entire family loves the games too. Time flies when you are having fun!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My hubby bought the Wii Fit Plus for me in October. I have really enjoyed it but now am getting a little bored with some of the games. I still work out on it though! I love that you can keep track of your weight and progress on it. For me, I find the hula hooping and boxing are more likely to make me break out in a sweat. I also love the biking and step aerobics. My hubby also got me a Polar F4 HRM for Christmas and I now use that when walking or working out to the Wii Fit to keep track of my heart rate and calories burned. I have found that the Wii Fit is pretty much spot on with my calories burned while working out so I am pleased about that.

Something else to think about is, if you try it and don't like it you can sell it on Ebay and possibly get a good bit of your money back. I watched the "gently used" ones on Ebay for a few weeks before we bought mine and they were going for so close to the original price that I just decided to buy a brand new one. Just a thought in case you find you DON'T like it after you've bought it. :)
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    Wii fit, on average, burns 90 calories an hour...which is only 30 more than if you were to play any other game...complete and utter con...
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Wii fit, on average, burns 90 calories an hour...which is only 30 more than if you were to play any other game...complete and utter con...

That figure is likely derived from an average sized (healthy weight) individual. Calories burned vary according to individual sizes and needs. For instance, I worked out on my Wii Fit Jan 1st for 43 minutes and burned 305 calories. I base my calories burned not only on what the Wii Fit says but also on the reading I get from my heart rate monitor. Naturally the controls can be manipulated and the calorie burn can be inaccurate for individuals who are not willing to put their all into the exercise. This is the case in ANY form of exercise though. But for those who are serious about getting their heart rate up and making the most of whatever form of exercise they perform, calories will be burned accordingly. Its all about what you're willing to put into it.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii balance board, original Wii Fit game, and the Wii Fit Plus game. Although it's fun and might be a good way to mix things up if you're feeling unmotivated, I find the workouts to be weak. I really don't work up as much of a sweat doing them as I do doing a workout DVD or going to the gym. I save Wii days as lazy workout days. Now, I haven't tried any other game with the balance board, though.... so I can't say whether or not the Jillian Michaels, Gold's Gym, or EA Active Sports are. Those are just some other titles that I've heard people use the balance board with.

Shannon
  • rozarotti
    rozarotti Posts: 139
    Options

I agree.
    It was fun to play at first, but I don't even break a sweat when I play it. To much time inbetween games.
  • DawniesLife
    Options
    Okay, I am a huge fan of all the fitness stuff for the Wii and have tried quite a few things so far and own quite a few so I will give my opinions on them..

Wii Fit Plus with balance board - I think it is a nice basic to have. It is the first thing I bought for the Wii and got it on sale on Amazon for $89.99 for the board and game and then I bought a yoga mat, gel sleeve and bag for it for about $19.99 on sale (optional extras). I have found that the balance games are fun, I enjoy the island free run and I actually enjoy the Yoga section of the game it is helpful to get me to stretch a little more and work on my flexibility. So all in all although I do use it for some cardio (hula hooping, running, etc) I prefer it for balance games (I am totally uncoordinated) and for the yoga. Oh and it also good for free stepping as well (I still want to buy the raiser attachment for it off of amazon soon to make it higher up and more challenging) - but while you are in free step and free run modes you can switch on your tv and watch it and it will still record all of your running time and steps! With all that said, the wii fit board also doubles as a scale, and since I didn't all ready have a scale it was a nice added perk, and it will monitor your weigh ins for you as well as track your bmi. Also, keep in mind the balance board is required in some of the other games for Wii and optional in others so that is another added perk.

The Biggest Loser Challenge - I loved it for the first few days I used it. It does have some great work outs on it - and you do need the Wii Balance board for it. But then after a week I just felt really slowed down by the switch hands and the loading times and the repetitiveness of the game. Which bums me out because I was very excited about the game. (Although the similar game for Xbox 360 Kinect looks pretty amazing). You also use a resistance rope and a stability ball in the game which are of course sold separately as well. If you are looking for something moderate and slower paced this may be the one to go with. But it wasn't exactly what I was hoping and looking for.

EA Sports Active 2 - Hands down, I love this game. It's normally around $99, but you can find it online and on sale in stores usually around $59.99 or so (I've seen it as low as $47 when Amazon had it as one of their daily deals a week or two ago). This set includes the game, the resistance band, the usb adapter for the back of your wii so your wii can read the included heart rate monitor and leg censor. The wii balance board is optional in this game. And I have found that I haven't used the balance board very much for this game at all. Also if you set up your WiFi to your wii it will prompt you to set up an online account and it then sends all your workout data online so you can see more details and keep track of it. It was worth every penny spent on it. I highly recommend it and the work outs kick my butt. I love it. Also there are groups you can join for support and there is a group with a few of us MFP users on one! ;)

Just Dance 2 - Debatable by many if its a fitness or weightloss game. Which I suppose it technically isn't but I sure do burn calories and sweat in just sweat mode or any other mode while having fun! So this is a nice little work out that is fun to do, and it is helping my coordination a bit as well! You don't need anything extra for it, so your wii, the wii remote and a game.

Those are what I have so far. Other than that I have heard raves for the Zumba game and the original Just Dance as well as the NFL Training Camp (Which is super similar to EA Sports Active 2).

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Anyone know anything about the EA Sports Active game? I'm talking the original one? Also is the Just Dance 2 game a lot like the Michael Jackson game? Meaning, it scores you based on your dance moves and how you swing the Wii remote, doesn't use the balance board at all? What about Just Dance, the first game... I'm assuming there's one of those, too.

I mainly bought my Wii for the fitness games and I've been disappointed so far. ... that and Tomb Raider!;-)

Shannon
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,420 Member
    Options
    How much do you work out now? If you are pretty fit, it is not much of a workout, there is a lot of down time so your heart rate doesn't stay up for very long. The different activities can be fun to do but I use it as a last resort-sick kid, can't get to the gym, etc. It's better than nothing if you already have a wii.