Hot & Sour Soup

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
Asian foods are some of my faves and since I am trying to eat lower carb, I decided to test out a homemade Hot & Sour Soup loaded with protein and low on carbs last night. It's a bit high sodium, but if you use low sodium soy sauce and chicken broth, it's not too bad.

This turned out fantastic - highly recommended! :bigsmile: Altered from my Good Housekeeping Soups & Stews recipe book...

Makes 4 main-dish servings

Ingredients
1 medium chicken breast, approx 6oz
1 900ml container blue menu low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 16oz package nature extra firm tofu, cubed and patted dry
1 medium zucchini, julienned
1 stalk leek, bulb and lower greens, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp minced ginger
3 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1 3.5oz package enoki mushroooms
2 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup water
1/2-1 tsp Sriracha Thai hot sauce
2 eggs (optional)
4 green onions, trimmed and sliced

In a small sauce pan, cover chicken with some of the chicken broth and bring to a simmer (reserve the rest of the broth for later). Poach chicken until cooked through and remove from broth. Let cool and then shred into bite sized pieces for soup. Reserve broth.
In a soup pot, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add tofu and zucchini and cook for 2 mins, gently stirring. Add leeks and garlic and cook another 2-3 mins, until vegetables start to soften and tofu is heated through. Add chicken broth (total 900ml), soy sauce, vinegar and ginger and heat to a boil, stirring frequently. Add chicken and mushrooms and stir.
In a small cup/bowl, blend cornstarch, water and sriracha until smooth. Stream into soup and boil for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes, until thickened slightly.
Optional:
Beat 2 eggs. Pour eggs into soup in a thin, steady stream around the edge of the pot. Carefully stir soup onces in a circular motion to separate egg into strands.
Serve immediately, topped with green onion, and with Sriracha to taste.

Using my ingredients, and without eggs, per serving:
Calories 245
Carbs 18
Fat 8
Protein 22
Fiber 3
Sodium 609

With 2 eggs:
Calories 282
Carbs 18
Fat 11
Protein 25
Fiber 3
Sodium 644

Enjoy :bigsmile:
Meag

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'm adding this to my long list or recipes I need to make!
  • clevethin
    Options
    Mmmmmmm I may have to try this! I'll take out the chicken and add the eggs, though.
    I LOVE hot & sour soup! (especially on these cold days)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KelliB25
    Options
    Bump!! Sounds Yummy!
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump! this sounds amazing and is one of my favorite soups!
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I love Hot & Sour Soup. I love soup in general and have decided to make a lot of it homemade during the cold winter months. This is definitely being added to my list! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    <>>>>BUMP<<<<>:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • annew77
    annew77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This sounds great - I can't wait to try it!! Thanks for posting!
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump! This sounds delicious - Thanks for posting! Perfect for winter and low-carb. I'll definitely be making this!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Bump again - Making this tonight! but with extra chicken and no tofu, since we haven't got any on hand. Subbing ****ake for enoki mushrooms. I am sure it'll be just as delicious! :bigsmile: