Dunkin Dounts vs. McDonalds Coffee

Options
Why is a large regular coffee at Mcdonalds 70 calories while a large regular coffee at Dunkin Donuts is 240??? For those of you who aren't from the East Coast and aren't familiar with what a "regular" coffee is. It's just cream and sugar.

Replies

• Teyonce
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question but I do know I love that profile pic!!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    "Regular" coffee is a New England term...not an East Coast term, FYI.

Is the nutrition info from McDonald's and Dunkin' websites? Or from the MFP database?

I used to get "regular" too, but now I just do skim & sugar from DD for less than 100 calories.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Why is a large regular coffee at Mcdonalds 70 calories while a large regular coffee at Dunkin Donuts is 240??? For those of you who aren't from the East Coast and aren't familiar with what a "regular" coffee is. It's just cream and sugar.

Because a large coffee at McDonald's is 16 oz while a large coffee at Dunkin Donuts is 20 oz? DD probably puts in more cream and sugar as well.
  • cjmariani
    Options
    I didn't know that McDonalds even made coffee. Oh wait, is that the brown water you get when you order a breakfast meal?

Ok, seriously though. The McDonalds by me doesn't make the coffee for you, you have to add your own cream and sugar, so maybe that's why? I don't drink coffee that way any more, but my best guess is that 240 calories is more likely accurate:

Coffee: 5-10 calories
    Cream: 315 for 8 oz (1 cup)
    Sugar: 15 calories per teaspoon

A large DD coffee is 20 ozs I believe. So it isn't unlikely that you'd have 5 ozs of cream (196 calories), 4 sugars (60 calories) plus the coffee (10 calories). That's 246!!

Switch to skim milk!!
  • fitmom125
    Options
    I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I like Dunkin Donuts coffee better.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/nutrition/Product.aspx?Category=Beverages&id=DD-662

That's for a small (10 oz) and a large is 20 oz, so double that and you get 240 calories.
  • nurseandi
    Options
    Mcdonalds has newmans own coffee now... MUCH better than DD
  • cassandra77
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question but I do know I love that profile pic!!!
    hahaha thanks my mom always used to say that lol
  • cassandra77
    Options
    "Regular" coffee is a New England term...not an East Coast term, FYI.

Is the nutrition info from McDonald's and Dunkin' websites? Or from the MFP database?

I used to get "regular" too, but now I just do skim & sugar from DD for less than 100 calories.
    excuse me lmao
  • cassandra77
    Options
    I was going my MFP.
  • cassandra77
    Options
    https://www.dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/nutrition/Product.aspx?Category=Beverages&id=DD-662

That's for a small (10 oz) and a large is 20 oz, so double that and you get 240 calories.
    I just checked the McDonalds website and the Large 160z coffee has 0 calories 2 creams =40 calories and 2 sugars=30 calories so a total of 70 calories.... FYI :)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Uh because DD coffee doesn't taste like complete *kitten*. That's why. :)
  • cassandra77
    Options
    Uh because DD coffee doesn't taste like complete *kitten*. That's why. :)
    hahaha well for 170 calories less it can taste like *kitten* all it wants I'm still getting my caffeine :)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    So don't get it with the cream and sugar?

If you look at the grams of sugar in just the small DD w/ cream and sugar, it's 17 grams of sugar. so I'm guessing we're not comparing apples to apples here.

Swap the cream for skim milk and sugar for splenda.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    Dunkin' is the only coffee I'll drink really...Starbucks and McD's are terrible, IMO...bitter blech!

You can switch the cream to skim (I used to be a "regular" girl too as I'm from Boston) and save about 120 calories and get better quality coffee. And yes, "regular" is a New England thing. Lived in Virginia and DC for several years, and they don't know what that is!
  • cassandra77
    Options
    So don't get it with the cream and sugar?

If you look at the grams of sugar in just the small DD w/ cream and sugar, it's 17 grams of sugar. so I'm guessing we're not comparing apples to apples here.

Swap the cream for skim milk and sugar for splenda.
    ya i have never tried it that way so i think i will. only thing is i TRY to stay away from artificial sweeteners because I am breastfeeding.
  • cassandra77
    Options
    Dunkin' is the only coffee I'll drink really...Starbucks and McD's are terrible, IMO...bitter blech!

You can switch the cream to skim (I used to be a "regular" girl too as I'm from Boston) and save about 120 calories and get better quality coffee. And yes, "regular" is a New England thing. Lived in Virginia and DC for several years, and they don't know what that is!
    I think this is what I am gonna do and just stay with reg sugar.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have never compared BUT WHAT!? You might as well get a latte or Mocha for 240 calories!! That's nuts.. they must load it with sugar and creamer. When I buy coffee I go to Starbucks, so i am not buying often anymore.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options

I think this is what I am gonna do and just stay with reg sugar.

I don't trust Splenda/artificial sweeteners. Sometimes I just get it with skim and put my own sugar in in an effort to cut back a bit on how much sugar I have. But I really didn't taste much of a difference going from cream to skim....definitely can taste the sugar cutback though!
  • cassandra77
    Options
    I have never compared BUT WHAT!? You might as well get a latte or Mocha for 240 calories!! That's nuts.. they must load it with sugar and creamer. When I buy coffee I go to Starbucks, so i am not buying often anymore.
    Ya me neither until I entered it into my food log... I was like WTF!!! I drank two that day... bye bye 500 calories :(