Calorie counting V Fat content

Options
Hi All,

Just interested, do people only concentrate on staying under their calorie target or do you also monitor the fat content of the food you eat, especially saturated fats.

Is it ok to eat a particular food that is low or moderate in calories if the fat content is high ?.

Let me know your thoughts
Paul

Replies

• Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I do try to stay within my target % for micro nutrients because:

1. I want to eat more protein then carbs
    2. Monitor Fat.

But it all depends on each person and how your system works. In my case after so many trial and errors I discovered my body doesn't process carbs too well and I also found out I wasn't getting enough protein. So I had to play a bit with the daily % for each until I got a good combination.
    :happy:
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I mainly watch my calorie intake but definitely look at fat content also. If it's too high in fat I look for a lower fat version or usually just don't eat it unless it's something I love and then try to only eat a small portion once in a while.
  • thin2k11
    Options
    i think you should try stay below both really but i'd rather be higher in fat than calories
  • sdtul
    sdtul Posts: 24
    Options
    Depends. I try to eat healthier food as much as I can. But if I'm craving a spoonful of Nutella and I can fit it in my calorie goals for the day, I'm gonna have it ;) Moderation, right.
  • Lacrosse321
    Options
    definitely don't do this:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

this guy is probably the dumbest nutritionist/professor to ever work at a university. keep your protein intake high and your fat/carb intake low and you'll stay full longer and drop body fat. but most importantly, just go to the gym a lot and sweat hard.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I personally monitor everything. I would opt. to go with the food that has more calories then fat because as far as weight goes, for me anyway, the mount of calories I consume are what make a difference in my weight-loss!

But I do like to keep an eye on it all carbs, sugars, protein, fat, cal's...all of it and try not to go overboard on any of it!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I monitor both my overall calories and my macro levels - but I'm not necessarily looking to be on a low-fat diet. I'm aiming for 45% carbs, 25-30% protein and 25-30% fat. That said, I want my fats to be mostly healthy fats (carbs to be healthy carbs, etc.) - quality is as important as quantity.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    definitely don't do this:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

this guy is probably the dumbest nutritionist/professor to ever work at a university. keep your protein intake high and your fat/carb intake low and you'll stay full longer and drop body fat. but most importantly, just go to the gym a lot and sweat hard.

Oh brother. The whole point of what this professor did was to demonstrate that in order to lose weight, it was important to stay under calories, independent of what you were eating. It was a demonstration, not an advocacy of a lifestyle. You had to read beyond the first few paragraphs of the story to find out he was also eating vegetables and having a protein shake every day, not just subsisting on the junk.

You can still enjoy the foods you want to. The body is designed to process fat, you just don't want to go crazy on it.
  • jillerin457
    Options
    Calories are my #1 concern because the basic math is: consume fewer/burn more to lose weight. But I do make an effort not to get too many from fat, especially unhealthy fats. (I'm not going to be too concerned if all my fat calories are coming from avocados!)