Fitness and weight loss

drmario09
drmario09 Posts: 9 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,

I started following my calorie intake to the tee and have managed to eat below my daily goal set for me. I also lift heavy weights 5 days a week and do cardio; but the pounds seem not to budge. I lost 3 pounds my first week, but it seemed to have slowed. Week 3 and going strong.... (Maybe I am being impatient) :)

Any ideas?

Replies

• Be patient

also check to see if yo need a few more calories..you might be just enough under your body is storing calories.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    If you are looking to lose weight you should really add some cardio to your routine.
    Lifting isn't going to give you the calorie burn that cardio is going to.
    Good luck in your journey.
    Steph
  • Hello,

I started following my calorie intake to the tee and have managed to eat below my daily goal set for me. I also lift heavy weights 5 days a week and do cardio; but the pounds seem not to budge. I lost 3 pounds my first week, but it seemed to have slowed. Week 3 and going strong.... (Maybe I am being impatient) :)

Any ideas?

Calories at not the end all to losing weight. Are you sleeping good? Are you stressed out? Both of these cause the body to hold onto to weight?

Also are you spreading your calories out across the entire day or 2 big meals? I posted this about a month ago....

You could that. But all the reading I have done has said to space out your intake of calories to use only what you are going to use. Your body will store any extra calories it does not need to sustain life supporting actions (heart beating, breathing, brain activity) and caloric energy used to move. If you resting metobolic rate(BMR) is (using fake numbers) 100 calories and hour and you eat 600 calories meal. You're body digests the entire meal and it looks to store the extra energy for later.

An anology would be a shipping and receiving dock(stomach). Say the crew unloads one truckload(food) an hour onto their dock, they then move the product to the correct location in the building to be used by the production workforce( your heart, lungs, kidneys, brain). But now let's say they have two trucks needing to be unloaded, so the crew unloads the trucks and just put the product anywhere it can find a space on the dock for future processing by the production workforce. So now they have two truck loads of product waiting to be used when an hour later another truck comes in. During this first hour the crew is able to move one of the first two truckloads through the factory and the end product is at the shipping dock.. But we still have two loads waiting to be processed(truck 2 from first hour and truck 3 from second hour). So the crew moves the next truck load to the production floor at a quicker pace(exercising). They are able to move 1.5 truck loads in the same hour, but still has .5 load waiting to be processed. This continues to happen everyday all the time and that .5 load never gets process and just sits in the corner(waist line) waiting to be used, collecting dust, and slowly getting bigger. This is the just in time model from the business world that can also be used as an analogy for our bodys(factories)

A second reason is blood sugar level. We need a constant supply of sugar in our diets. Our cells rely on sugar as their primary source of energy, and function at a laggardly pace without it. This is especially the case for the brain, where a lack of glucose makes it harder for us to concentrate and gives that light-headed feeling we get when we skip lunch. And while the body can synthesise a sugar replacement for short periods, exertion – mental or physical – becomes difficult. Your body will process the sugar without storing for later and use it up. If you have too much(sugar high) or too little(dragging self) you are not using your body to the fulliest extent. If you eat 2 -3 meals(like alot of dieters do) then you have peaks(too much) and valleys(too little) in your insulin. When what you want is a steady stream of hormones coming in. (this is also true with every hormone/chemical you're body needs... same thing with medicine. The doctor tells you to take your antibotic 3 times daily so that you can use it when your body can process it)

Now with this being said, it's easier said then done. If you feel you are able to metabolize food with three meals a day. Have at it, there is a reason why doctors/fitness professionals are still making money. Because each and everyone of us are different. make sure you have your own body tested and decide a plan that works for your body.

Finally as you said, " Am i being impatient" yes, Rome wasnt built in a day. It's a marathon you are on, just past the starting line. 26.19 left to go.

Ryan
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    If you have just started the exercise program, especially the weight lifting. your muscles are probably retaining a little bit extra water. This is only temporary, and should vanish once your muscles become accustomed to the workload. If you are doing a lot of strength training, you may notice that your weight loss isn't as fast as a person doing just cardio. That doesn't mean that you're not losing fat, however. You're gaining muscle at the same time. This is why it's important to take measurements of your body. While your scale may be staying in the same place, you will notice the inches coming off. I do a lot of strength training, and my weight loss has been slow and steady, but I'm losing inches on my waist and gaining it on my arms and legs. Just be patient, the fat will disappear!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    make sure you follow your measurements as well. Drink lots of water. Muscle does burn fat!!! I am doing ChaLEAN Extreme right now and she repeats that all during the workout. ALso, when I do my 30-minute weightlifting routine with Chalene, I do burn about 300 calories accoding to my HRM--so I'll take it knowing I am burning fat the rest of the day long. I do weights everyother day and cardio every other day, balance.

Keep up the great work.

DO make sure you get enough calories. Listen to your body. If you are feeling weak or very hungry, then grab some extra HEALTHY calories. Its your body talking to you.
  • drmario09
    drmario09 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks so much for the excellent feedback! Very encouraging! I will be sure to eat enough HEALTHY calories and continue as my body enters this trransition.. Thanks again!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Maybe this will help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

"Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode) "

good luck on your journey!
This discussion has been closed.