Ideas for using up Corn Tortillas

Options
skinnyminnie
skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
I'm determined to eat through the miscellaneous odds and ends left in my fridge and cabinets before I buy anything else. That being said, I have a package of those small corn tortillas that needs to be eaten up. Does anyone have any ideas on how to use these in a casserole or something? Thanks!

Replies

• ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hmm, not sure of a casserole.

I like to use them for little breakfast burritos though. Just throw in some eggs with ketchup.
  • kuteinfaync
    Options
    A friend of mine always made pizza with hers before and after her surgery! low cal and tasty!!!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    We have used them to make an enchilada "casserole", or you could just make enchiladas. Also nice toasted crisp and sprinkeled over soup or salads.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    mexican tortilla casserole in a slow cooker or oven. I'm pretty sure you can find a yummy recipe on Sparks People.
  • 951heather
    951heather Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can make chicken enchiladas or use a different meat of your choice. I like to tear those tortillas into strips and layer my casserole with cheese, sauce, black beans, etc.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Spray them with a little cooking spray, sprinkle with a bit of salt, and bake them at 400 for 10 min (flip in between) for some low-cal tortilla chips! Perfect snack with a little bit of salsa and guacamole, low cal and it fulfills the salty/crunchy cravings!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You could make gilled fish tacos... they are so yummy!!! or chicken if you don't like fish!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Check out this recipe from Cooking Light. I have made it and it was really good!

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001634740
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Chicken breast cut up into chunk/strips.
    Lots of salad...spinach etc.
    Mix with light mayonnaise
    Wrap
    Eat :)
  • Maggiethu
    Maggiethu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Juevos Rancheros! My favorite is the Cooking Light recipe.
  • pegesam
    pegesam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Make your own corn chips
    Slice them into 6ths with a pizza cutter. Spray with nonstick, spread on a cookie sheet. Bake in 350 til crispy. Eat with hot sauce or make nachos.
    sometimes, I'll sprinkle a bit of chili powder over before baking. Just depends on my mood
  • skinnyminnie
    Options
    Such awesome ideas! Thank you very much!
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    If you have enough tortillas you can make a lighter version of Chilaquiles, like this:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chilaquiles_casserole.html

Most original recipes require you to fry the tortillas first. Not necessary!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I make casseroles weekly with leftover chicken, steak, pork, roast - whatever meat I have available.

The basic premise is this:

In casserole pan - put about 1/4 cup of salsa on the bottom, start layering - first about 4-5 corn tortillas, plain yogurt on top of that (you can use sour cream but I always use plain yogurt and no one can tell) whatever meat you are using, more salsa, vegetables (again, I will use leftover veggies or sometimes a bag of frozen corn, usually a chopped onion and/or green pepper) begin again w/ the same layers and then I top with a can of either the red enchilada sauce or the green. I will sometimes add shredded cheese on top too but it's really not necessary. I will sometimes add a can of black beans too. I will serve this with a nice green salad and call it dinner!

This is always, always a hit with my family. It cracks me up too since I basically clean out the leftovers from my fridge to make it!
  • skinnyminnie
    Options
    For the above recipe - do you bake this or serve it cold like a dip? Just curious - I didn't know if the sour cream bakes well. Thanks!
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    I make casseroles weekly with leftover chicken, steak, pork, roast - whatever meat I have available.
    This is always, always a hit with my family. It cracks me up too since I basically clean out the leftovers from my fridge to make it!

LOL! A friend of mine makes "Must Go Soup" - That's when she cleans out her fridge, (as in "Everything Must Go!").

Your recipe looks like a keeper. I use a lot of LaTortilla Low Carb WW tortillas - Have been thinking of trying those in something similar, like Chilequilas.
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Family favorite here. You can healthy it up by substituting low fat, light, etc. products.

Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe

This is a Tex-Mex casserole dish that will be eaten up so fast. It is petty simple to make. It is assembled just like a Lasagna dish. Only difference is that we use Corn Tortillas.

Ingredients:

10 - 7 inch corn tortillas
    1 lb. chicken, cooked and shredded
    1 lb. Cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 pt. sour cream
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 cup mayo.
    1/4 green onions, chopped (garnish)
    * 1 can Rotel, drained (garnish)

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350
    2. Cook chicken, shred, and cool.
    3. Mix shredded chicken, sour cream, chicken broth, taco seasoning, mayo, 3/4 of cheddar cheese, and salt & pepper in a bowl.
    4. Lightly grease a 9x9 casserole dish.
    5. Place 2 corn tortillas on bottom of the casserole dish.
    6. Cover with chicken mixture.
    7. Repeat until all tortillas are gone. Note: The final layer should be 2 tortillas.
    8. Place drained Rotel and remaining cheddar cheese on top.
    9. Cover with foil and bake for 45 min.
    10. Remove foil and place under broiler for 3-5 mins.
    11. Garnish with chopped green onions.

Tips from Chef Bek:

* Boil your chicken to prevent from overcooking.
    * If Rotel is not available, use a can of Mexican Stewed Tomatoes.
    Black Bean Corn Salsa Recipe
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options

The basic premise is this:

In casserole pan - put about 1/4 cup of salsa on the bottom, start layering - first about 4-5 corn tortillas, plain yogurt on top of that (you can use sour cream but I always use plain yogurt and no one can tell) whatever meat you are using, more salsa, vegetables (again, I will use leftover veggies or sometimes a bag of frozen corn, usually a chopped onion and/or green pepper) begin again w/ the same layers and then I top with a can of either the red enchilada sauce or the green. I will sometimes add shredded cheese on top too but it's really not necessary. I will sometimes add a can of black beans too. I will serve this with a nice green salad and call it dinner!

I bake this for about 30-40 minutes in a 350 oven.
  • lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options
    Family favorite here. You can healthy it up by substituting low fat, light, etc. products.

Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe

This is a Tex-Mex casserole dish that will be eaten up so fast. It is petty simple to make. It is assembled just like a Lasagna dish. Only difference is that we use Corn Tortillas.

Ingredients:

10 - 7 inch corn tortillas
    1 lb. chicken, cooked and shredded
    1 lb. Cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 pt. sour cream
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 cup mayo.
    1/4 green onions, chopped (garnish)
    * 1 can Rotel, drained (garnish)

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350
    2. Cook chicken, shred, and cool.
    3. Mix shredded chicken, sour cream, chicken broth, taco seasoning, mayo, 3/4 of cheddar cheese, and salt & pepper in a bowl.
    4. Lightly grease a 9x9 casserole dish.
    5. Place 2 corn tortillas on bottom of the casserole dish.
    6. Cover with chicken mixture.
    7. Repeat until all tortillas are gone. Note: The final layer should be 2 tortillas.
    8. Place drained Rotel and remaining cheddar cheese on top.
    9. Cover with foil and bake for 45 min.
    10. Remove foil and place under broiler for 3-5 mins.
    11. Garnish with chopped green onions.

Tips from Chef Bek:

* Boil your chicken to prevent from overcooking.
    * If Rotel is not available, use a can of Mexican Stewed Tomatoes.
    Black Bean Corn Salsa Recipe

Sounds REALLY good!!!
  • forbessw
    forbessw Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos with mango salsa. Best use of corn tortillas I can think of.