What's in a size?

jtintx
jtintx Posts: 445 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
Wow, the clothing industry sure has changed to keep up with the general population super-sizing themselves into obesity! When I was in college back in 1983 I had to attend a friends wedding in December. I bought a beautiful gray wool classic suit which I still have. I found it in the back of a closet and for kicks I tried it on. The skirt was a bit snug but overall it fit. I looked at the label and it said size 14. The clothes I wear now say size 6 or 8. It just shocked me that what was a size 14 in 1983 is now considered a 6 or 8.

Replies

• How funny! I was just talking to a coworker about this today! Twenty years ago I weighed 25 pounds less than I do know and wore the same size (14). How is that possible??? I figure if I get down to goal weight, I will wear a 6 or an 8.
  • I've been thinking on this too I'm wearing a size 14 now and I weigh more than I did the last time I wore a 14. But the 14 sure does make me feel better...lol
  • Haha! Yeah. It's because us crazy females want the size to be as small as possible... if it is a 10, but really the size of a 16, we are more likely to buy it just because of the size! It makes you feel skinnier when the number is smaller. Sadly, I know I do that... small size makes me happier, even if I know i did not get smaller.
This discussion has been closed.