working out to much (my rant)

maletac
maletac Posts: 767 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
"you need to give your muscles 72 hours between when you work them out otherwise you work out to much" - some trainer guy at the gym

okay ... really no ... no you dont.... there are people all across the world who lift 50 lbs a day for 12 hours straight and dont get to "take breaks" and there are people who run all day long... and people who work on farms 16 hour days... do they get breaks NO

i had to get out of my system how weaksauce everyone is... if you need a break take it i get that.. if you dont ... KEEP GOING.... seriously people these days.. weaksauce.....

72 hours because you worked out a muscle group for an hour.. lmao... please go tell the people that do manual labor jobs about that lolZ

k.... thats all i had to say.,... science can kiss my tooshy... i have about a few thousand years of proof behind my opinion.

Replies

• hahahah :) everyone's bodies are different and they all endure and recover at their own pace. i definitely agree: if you can handle it, keep going!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    You should at least give them 24 hours :happy: I've always heard 24-48. Who told you 72? That's craziness. I work my whole body and just skip a day so I can strength train every other day and I've seen improvement in myself so no worries! But I agree with the previous poster, every one is different.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    While you are 100% correct in your assertation I believe that what the trainer dude at the gym was referring to has more to do with opitimal muscle toning etc and recovery. Think of the physique of those people who do manual labor...they might not be as "buff" as someone who does one body part per 72 hours..the work can be done and the body wil grow stronger for it but for optimal results in muscle growth etc the rest is necessary....at least that is my interpretation.

With that said...trainers can be big bone heads. When I spoke to a trainer early in my marathon training...all he could focus on was that I was running too much...well duh you moron I am training for a marathon.....he kept trying to get me to run only 2-3 days a weeks instead of get this 4 days (not much considering MARATHON TRAINING) and to shorten my distance so I could do more shoulders...whatever...he didn't listen to my goals and thus his advice was stupid....
  • JLeeAlton
    JLeeAlton Posts: 311
    weaksauce.....

:laugh:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    weaksauce.....

:laugh:

Yea I was going to say I haven't heard that phrase in years, LOL! It used to be all over the 350Z site, not sure if you ever owned one ;)
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Okay. Lol. If that was working out too much, I'd probably be dead. 72 hours is what, 6 days? I do an hour of cardio and 40 minutes of weight training at the gym about 5 days a week. (i know it's a bad idea to do weights and cardio on the same day, but I have poor judgement) o_o plus all the dancing and kickboxing at home.

Weaksauce is kind of an entertaining word.
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Okay. Lol. If that was working out too much, I'd probably be dead. 72 hours is what, 6 days? I do an hour of cardio and 40 minutes of weight training at the gym about 5 days a week. (i know it's a bad idea to do weights and cardio on the same day, but I have poor judgement) o_o plus all the dancing and kickboxing at home.

72 hours is 3 days
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    "you need to give your muscles 72 hours between when you work them out otherwise you work out to much" - some trainer guy at the gym

okay ... really no ... no you dont.... there are people all across the world who lift 50 lbs a day for 12 hours straight and dont get to "take breaks" and there are people who run all day long... and people who work on farms 16 hour days... do they get breaks NO

i had to get out of my system how weaksauce everyone is... if you need a break take it i get that.. if you dont ... KEEP GOING.... seriously people these days.. weaksauce.....

72 hours because you worked out a muscle group for an hour.. lmao... please go tell the people that do manual labor jobs about that lolZ

k.... thats all i had to say.,... science can kiss my tooshy... i have about a few thousand years of proof behind my opinion.

I assume you're kidding?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Being a former FedEx unloader I get what you're saying. I also get annoyed with all the "rules" that people put on excersises.

Bottom line: Everyone is different. Your body will tell you when it needs rest, listen to it when it does and you'll be OK.

and 72 hours is 3 days. I normally go 48 hrs between muscle groups because that's what feels right.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    and 72 hours is 3 days. I normally go 48 hrs between muscle groups because that's what feels right not because a roided freak or pencil necked researcher told me.

Except in this case the "roided freak" and the "pencil necked researcher" both agree. It's a pretty simple principle: If you don't believe it or you think it's sissyfied, then feel free to ignore it but then don't be surprised or complain when your progress isn't where it could be.

Where I do agree is that it shouldn't be used as an excuse to train less than your maximum each day. But if you're giving it your all on Monday, you will -not- be able to replicate your performance on Tuesday on 24-hours of rest. And you almost certainly will not be able to do do it for Wednesday-Sunday.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    What kind of word is WEAKSAUCE...???? lol.

Anyway, you should wait a day in-between working the same muscle group over again...but you don't have to wait 3 days...you need the day of rest in-between though so the ripped tissues can rebuild and become stronger.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    I do cardio one day and strength training the next. I can exhaust myself in both myself in one a day and take a break the following day. My problem with waiting too long inbetween days in loosing momentum. I respect needing a break and letting your muscles rebuild which is why I switch days. Also I would have never been able to keep up this pace in the beginning. I had to build up this endurance.

Weaksauce. Classic!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member

It's not a bad idea to do weights and cardio on the same day. Lots of people do it all the time and have success. If you listen to Tom Venuto who is a bodybuilder that helps people lose weight, he encourages doing about 5-6 days of cardio per week and about 3 days of weights per week...which means you gotta combine them at least a couple of times. :bigsmile:
  • maletac

I assume you're kidding?

no im actually dead serious about this
  • maletac
    Being a former FedEx unloader I get what you're saying. I also get annoyed with all the "rules" that people put on excersises.

Bottom line: Everyone is different. Your body will tell you when it needs rest, listen to it when it does and you'll be OK.

and 72 hours is 3 days. I normally go 48 hrs between muscle groups because that's what feels right not because a roided freak or pencil necked researcher told me.

exactly you work your A off and dont get a break from work just cause you worked hard one day lol... my entire family grew up working on farms in a third world country... if you dont "work out" till your half dead every day then you dont eat plain and simple
  • maletac
    lol WEAKSAUCE!!!! its a great word.... kinda funny that im the only person thats used it in a while

and i dont give myself breaks until i feel like i need it as my body... and i work out 6 days a week 2 hours a day.. weights in the morning and an hour of cardio at night... its not 8 hours a day but it still pretty decent...

and all im saying its just a weaksauce point of view... honestly come on... fed ex workers any warehousing job lol all these other really really hard jobs out there... these people are way stronger then your twice a day gymers and have a way better endurance.

btw to those that do take a break and it works out for you thats awesome and im glad it works out for you :) i do agree everyone should do what works out for them

oh and ... dont run so much even though your a marathon runner LOLz bahahahha hahahah lol .. okay sorry .... if stupidity only hurt..... bahahahhahahah ... dont forget your shoulders when you run you 26 miles bahahah
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member

Except in this case the "roided freak" and the "pencil necked researcher" both agree. It's a pretty simple principle: If you don't believe it or you think it's sissyfied, then feel free to ignore it but then don't be surprised or complain when your progress isn't where it could be.

Where I do agree is that it shouldn't be used as an excuse to train less than your maximum each day. But if you're giving it your all on Monday, you will -not- be able to replicate your performance on Tuesday on 24-hours of rest. And you almost certainly will not be able to do do it for Wednesday-Sunday.

I was a little more crass than I inetended. A lot of fitness is finding what works for you. I understand basic concepts.

From my expirence as a FedEx dock worker. You CAN do the work for hours on end. However, after two days you're tired and ran down. By the end of the week your dragging. And anyone who worked there for longer than 90 days had a chronic injury. You and your body can stand anything for a few weeks, maybe even months. However, it will, at some point begin to break down.

The concepts for rest for workouts are designed for healthy IMPROVEMENT. I just refuse to beleive what's right for one person is right for another.
This discussion has been closed.