1 or 2 lbs a week?

Options
HI everybody! I started changing my eating habits 1/3 and lost 8 pounds last week...which is okay, but I'd like to focus on more sustainable weight loss.

My problem, after reading the sticky posts, is that I /think/ I am not getting enough calories a day.

To lose 1 lb/week (which is recommended on the site), MFP tells me I need approximately 2300 calories a day BEFORE exercise. I have really had a hard time doing this without going for the "easy" way to get calories - unhealthy junk food.

My standard has been:

Breakfast: 355

Lunch 400-500

Snacks - 200-300

Dinner: around 500.

As you can see, even for the high estimate, I'm only getting around 1655/day. I eat every couple hours (usually 6:30 am, 11:30 am, 3:30 pm, 6:00 pm, and again around 8pm).

I am eating lean protein, whole grains, veggies, fruits. I am usually a few over my fats for the day... generally in salad dressing or pb. Snacks are usually apples and all natural pb or chips and salsa. Sometimes I make extra at dinner to take for lunch the next day. I know I could eat more veggies in salad but that is a HUGE salad to get that many calories out of veggies.

I honestly do NOT feel hungry in between meals. I am eating around those times because that's when I am hungry. I was eating huge portions before - and eating after I knew I was full.

When I calculate to lose 2 lbs a week, my calories per day is a much more attainable 1790/day. Should I base my loss on 2lbs a week so that I can eat all my calories, or is this also going to put me at a starvation mode?

Any suggestions are much appreciated :)

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    As long as your getting 1200 NET cals you should be fine. Unless of course you feel dizzy, weak, etc. Listen to your body. The less cals/day the quicker the weight loss of course. Just make sure not to starve yourself.
  • sarjac1
    Options
    I would say go for the 2lbs a week goal. I have the same problem trying to make sure I get all of my calories in, but I'm just not hungry and I don't want to force myself to eat just to get the calories, it's kinda like defeating the purpose ya know! Good luck!
  • megano_d
    Options
    If you have more than 50+ pounds to lose (which your recommended calorie levels indicate you likely do), you do not have to worry about dropping more than 2 pounds a week. Folks with more to lose, lose more at the beginning. Once you are getting to around 30ish pounds away from your ideal weight, you'll find a 2 lb weight loss is likely the most you should do.

If you are eating nutrient rich foods, you can eat as few as 1200 cals a day and be perfectly fine. (That is not true if you do 1200 cals from Twinkies! Not all calories are made the same!) Remember that since you used to overeat, you might get hungry and that isnt inappropriate. You arent actually hungry but we have our bodies trained to think they need more food. If your body is responding well at 1600 cals, keep doing it! You are in zero danger of starving and could actually be eating less.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    If you have 80 lbs to lose 2 lbs a week should be fine. and if you are over or under a hundred or two don't fret. Odds are you are not logging everything exactly perfect so your count is just a good estimate anyway. You can always add some avocado or walnuts to your salad. It's more fat, but it's good fat, and you can easily ad some really good calories - like 200-400. I love lemon juice as a salad dressing so I can put more other things on the salad and "afford" the extra fat from walnuts or something. I would have never tried lemon juice unless someone told me it for salad dressing - you should try it! Very good!
  • megano_d
    Options
    Also, remember what makes weight loss sustainable is that you learn something during the weight loss process about portions and calories. Just because you lost it fast doesnt mean you'll gain it back fast. You'll gain it back fast if you lose the weight and then go back to eating like you used to. Once you hit your goal weight, you multiply that number by 11. That is how many calories you will eat every day to maintain that weight. Say you want to weight 150. Once you weight 150 you will need to eat no more than 1650 cals to maintain that weight. Eat healthy and get your calories from nutrient rich foods and you wont have any trouble sustaining your eventual weight loss.