Music, Television, Distractions - Exercise

Options
Personally, I cannot workout without music. There's something about the distraction from the physical wear and tear that keeps me motivated. However, it can only be music that is heavy or fast paced.

Out of curiousity, what keeps you motivated (besides the ultimate goal)? What do you think about, listen to, or like to watch while working out? Do some work better than others?

Replies

• garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    When I am going on my elliptical I watch an episode of something on my laptop. There are no commercials (well very short ones) and I know I'm going to get about 45 minutes in. I often watch American's Next Top Model, which some people found odd, but I just like the show!
  • flossicle
    Options
    I watch tv while i'm on my exercise bike.. @ 6am the schedules are a bit grim but Biggest Looser was on for a few weeks, as was X-Weighted..this morning however, it was Bear Grylls Born Survivor.. and he bit the head off a snake..i was just about retching over my handle bars lol!
  • ifeelsqueaky
    Options
    When I exercised at home I used to watch an episode Quantum Leap :bigsmile: It was just about the right length of time for a workout (for me) and kept me distracted long enough.

Now I go to the gym I find I do okay without music as long as I switch machines often enough - if I stay on one machine for a long time I do tend to get bored.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    fitness magazine's online site has a bunch of their best playlists for your ipod with great song ideas. I enjoy music too when I workout. They have different playlists based on what you like to listen to.
    I like tv too, and I think you can stay motivated. I used to watch an entire movie while doing the basic step (reebok stepper). I just kept going and going while the movie was on. It was a great distraction and I would pause when I ran out of water and needed a refill.
    I use a lot of DVD's now, so I don't do this anymore, but when I did it worked out well.
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    Ditto on music. I find that I run better, at pace and on point when I listen to music. I also listen to music when I'm doing laps using a waterproof case for the nano and waterproof headphones inside the swim cap. My swim music is a little slower than my run music beat-wise.

Having said that, I find myself checking out the gym TVs as well. There are 5 TVs in front of my machine last night, each one showing a different channel. No particular show in mind.

As for motivation, I bought myself a black string bikini set that's keeping me focused. I see it everyday when I wake up. The goal is to fit in that outfit without muffin tops by beach season.

Come summertime, I will be wearing that bikini. Oh yes, I will. :)
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Television works sometimes for me. Unfortunately, I have an attention span of a cocker spaniel. I always feel compelled to change the channel every 10 minutes which throws me off balance reaching for the remote ;). I'll definitely have to check out those fitness magazine playlists.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I have a treadmill at home so I try to find some random movie on HBO that I'll mute and listen to music on my Ipod otherwise I have to turn up the TV too loud to actually hear it.

Lately I've been running outside without my Ipod and finding that I like not having to struggle with my ear buds or having that damn wire bouncing on my chest a lot more then listening to music -so it goes both ways.

At the gym I like to work out on a machine that oversees the gym area so I can watch people play basketball or run the track instead of watching a muted TV in the main workout area.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My gym has tv's, and when I go it's super late so I get to control them. I also talk to a friend who goes with me, or read a book.
  • undercover
    undercover Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My new thing while doing Leslie Sansone Walk away the pounds- I put the training on my netbook next to the TV and watch something else while walking. Yesterday I watched 2 episodes of Top Gear (and I don't even like cars, but I love the show!) and tonight it was Biggest Loser Australia and Friday Night Lights. Great distraction while stepping or walking/running on the spot.