Doesn't anyone each fruit and veg anymore?

Options

Replies

• halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Very nice post, Fletcher.
    Overweight kids?
    One of the most depressing things I saw when I was visiting family a few hours away, in the rural community where I was raised, was a little boy who looked to be about seven who had bigger boobs than any girl I've been in a relationship with in the past ... seven to ten years.
  • DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    Im not sure about others out there, but I eat raw vegetables so I don't enter them into my diary at all. I doubt I can eat enough veggies to ruin my calorie goals anyway.
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of veggies every day. I buy my celery, red peppers, cucumbers and carrots over the weekend. I cut them up and put them in snack bags. Each morning, all I have to do is grab the snack bags and off to work I go. They are the perfect snack.

I don't eat as much fruit as I should. This time of year bananas and apples are about it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest. I see fruits and veggies as a means to an end. I have found fruits and veggies that I enjoy eating. However, given the choice without consiquences I'm choosing the double cheese burger.

I pretty much backed into eating them. When I started on MFP I viewed it the same way as filling out my Fantasy Football Roster. I have a salary cap, and vegetables have a lot value so I eat them.

I understand the OP though. Daily there is a topic in this very forum that's titled "Help, I need snack ideas." And one of the first lines of the original topic is a line that says "I don't like vegetables". So they're already disregarding the most obvious and useful answer their question. Veggies are an aquired taste if you weren't brought up to eat them. However, if you want to accomplish your goals, and be accountable to yourself you better eat your veggies.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of veggies every day. I buy my celery, red peppers, cucumbers and carrots over the weekend. I cut them up and put them in snack bags. Each morning, all I have to do is grab the snack bags and off to work I go. They are the perfect snack.

I don't eat as much fruit as I should. This time of year bananas and apples are about it.

I spend 2-3 hours on Sunday doing stuff like this. It's usually on my "rest" day from excersise. But I save myself more calories in that 2-3 hours than the 6 hours the rest of the week I spend excersising.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    So let me get this right, you have now changed tact from accusing the OP from being smug to this being a MFP issue (no one can see your diary if you choose) and in the process hijacked an excellent, educational thread and made it all about you.
    Seriously? I'm always amazed at how little thought people put into comprehension, responses or ... or ... just not being a ****!

Firstly, there's nothing excellent or educational about this thread. Whatever, no offense to anyone. The thread is a question, and a rhetorical one at that. It seems more an opportunity for pompousness, all in all. (And if this thread's question isn't rhetorical, then it is entirely without merit, because clearly people do eat vegetables and this hasn't encouraged conversation ...)

Seriously, what's educational about this thread? It hasn't even been disclosed as to how many fruits and vegetables one should consume in a day—which is now at about two cups of fruit and two and a half cups of vegetables for a 2,000 calorie diet. The average response is "I eat vegetables ..." There's no discourse regarding the average persons' eating habits, for the most part. In fact, all in all, there is ONE intelligent response to this thread. (Thanks for that ladyhawk00, that's something I think about. Also, healthy_is_best's second reply had some good and applicable thoughts to it.) Not that the others aren't in the least intelligent, but they're mostly just a casual response to a question that doesn't illicit conversation.

In fact, the only discourse anyone has engaged in is whether the OP should attack the eating habits of others' or not. And as it were, that's the one thing I'm not necessarily sure of in this context.

Furthermore, I'm not really sure what the difference between a non-practicing doctor and not-really-a doctor are ... wait, no, I am, but I'm not sure that either you, or the OP, are. [/cheap internet shot]

Finally, the obesity epidemic IS "a lot more complex" than people just not eating fruits and vegetables. It also pertains to processed foods, the fact that people are less active than they should be, genetics (probably ... to a degree ...) and, in my opinion the biggest contributor to the obesity epidemic ... government subsidies! (That is, the concept of, "Heck, let's make foods that ain't got no nutritional value cheaper than good foods!" plus my "booyah" search of "government subsidies making me fat" came up with this: http://www.studentpulse.com/articles/314/corn-subsidies-make-me-sick-and-fat )

All right, I'll leave it at that.

Being the OP writer I do not understand the "pompousness" in relation to the post, as (based on the definition of the word) it certainly is not. I felt that fast food (salty/fatty/sugary) was being chosen over real food (fruit , veg, smal portion of meat/fish), and the thread has brought to light that fruit / veg are eaten, but that it is hard over the "call of processed food".

As for the "non practicing dr", to clarify as you seem to not know what I meant, it means I have all the degrees, certificates and education for such but decided that healthcare was not a path I wished to follow, and know many trained Drs who have stepped away - so the cheap Internet shot is just that "cheap and ill informed".

As for genetics making you fat, that would mean the human race would have always been fat - they have not been, so genes are not an excuse (but people love to use the excuses "I have a gene that means my metabolism is slow!).

Govt subsidies on food - again just an excuse. They do not force a person to eat excessively, that is a choice made with every mouthful (do I really need that processed cheese on my burger, do I really need these fries etc). It is personal choice as to how much subsidized food I push down my throat. You can eat subsidized food in a healthy way. It is not just meat products that are subsidized.

Being less active - again just an excuse. We make decisions every day to drive rather than walk, to take the elevator rather than stairs, to watch TV than move.

The only reason an adult has in most cases (I exclude children because they often don't have choice) as to why they are overweight is that they and they alone have eaten more than they need. No one holds you down and forces food into you. The recognition of this is probably the biggest step to take.

<steps down from soap box>
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    So let me get this right, you have now changed tact from accusing the OP from being smug to this being a MFP issue (no one can see your diary if you choose) and in the process hijacked an excellent, educational thread and made it all about you.
    Seriously? I'm always amazed at how little thought people put into comprehension, responses or ... or ... just not being a ****!

Firstly, there's nothing excellent or educational about this thread. Whatever, no offense to anyone. The thread is a question, and a rhetorical one at that. It seems more an opportunity for pompousness, all in all. (And if this thread's question isn't rhetorical, then it is entirely without merit, because clearly people do eat vegetables and this hasn't encouraged conversation ...)

Seriously, what's educational about this thread? It hasn't even been disclosed as to how many fruits and vegetables one should consume in a day—which is now at about two cups of fruit and two and a half cups of vegetables for a 2,000 calorie diet. The average response is "I eat vegetables ..." There's no discourse regarding the average persons' eating habits, for the most part. In fact, all in all, there is ONE intelligent response to this thread. (Thanks for that ladyhawk00, that's something I think about. Also, healthy_is_best's second reply had some good and applicable thoughts to it.) Not that the others aren't in the least intelligent, but they're mostly just a casual response to a question that doesn't illicit conversation.

In fact, the only discourse anyone has engaged in is whether the OP should attack the eating habits of others' or not. And as it were, that's the one thing I'm not necessarily sure of in this context.

Furthermore, I'm not really sure what the difference between a non-practicing doctor and not-really-a doctor are ... wait, no, I am, but I'm not sure that either you, or the OP, are. [/cheap internet shot]

Finally, the obesity epidemic IS "a lot more complex" than people just not eating fruits and vegetables. It also pertains to processed foods, the fact that people are less active than they should be, genetics (probably ... to a degree ...) and, in my opinion the biggest contributor to the obesity epidemic ... government subsidies! (That is, the concept of, "Heck, let's make foods that ain't got no nutritional value cheaper than good foods!" plus my "booyah" search of "government subsidies making me fat" came up with this: http://www.studentpulse.com/articles/314/corn-subsidies-make-me-sick-and-fat )

Being the OP writer I do not understand the "pompousness" in relation to the post, as (based on the definition of the word) it certainly is not. I felt that fast food (salty/fatty/sugary) was being chosen over real food (fruit , veg, smal portion of meat/fish), and the thread has brought to light that fruit / veg are eaten, but that it is hard over the "call of processed food".

As for the "non practicing dr", to clarify as you seem to not know what I meant, it means I have all the degrees, certificates and education for such but decided that healthcare was not a path I wished to follow, and know many trained Drs who have stepped away - so the cheap Internet shot is just that "cheap and ill informed".

As for genetics making you fat, that would mean the human race would have always been fat - they have not been, so genes are not an excuse (but people love to use the excuses "I have a gene that means my metabolism is slow!).

Govt subsidies on food - again just an excuse. They do not force a person to eat excessively, that is a choice made with every mouthful (do I really need that processed cheese on my burger, do I really need these fries etc). It is personal choice as to how much subsidized food I push down my throat. You can eat subsidized food in a healthy way. It is not just meat products that are subsidized.

Being less active - again just an excuse. We make decisions every day to drive rather than walk, to take the elevator rather than stairs, to watch TV than move.

The only reason an adult has in most cases (I exclude children because they often don't have choice) as to why they are overweight is that they and they alone have eaten more than they need. No one holds you down and forces food into you. The recognition of this is probably the biggest step to take.

Thank you for your eloquent discourse, would-be Doctor.

As far as the ranting fool in the quote, no one forced him to read this thread either. He made a choice and instead of kicking himself, he took it out on everyone else who will follow. I suppose that these "innane" posts(in his opinion-"pompous") are like passing a fatal car wreck--- You don't really want to look but you just can't look away either.
  • kimwig
    Options
    We eat fruit and veggies every day, but I understand why this question was asked. America as a whole is way too addicted to fast, cheap processed food. I was in a discussion with some people on FB the other day and this point became abundantly clear. One lady was from South Africa I believe and another said she was from Brazil. They each noted that they had only eaten hamburgers a couple times in their lives because they did not ready access to them until they got here. Now they really do not have a craving for hamburgers the way we tend to. But being brought up here, Americans have access to, and consume more food than almost any other country. We have unfortunately been trained that it is just easier and cheaper to hit the drive through on the way home. And it saves you time so you can have more family time, right? But what do we do with that family time? The kids go to their rooms and turn oon TV and the parents go somewhere else and turn on more TV. What about spending some real quality time preparing a great (better than drive through by far) meal with the kids and entire family together? This is actual family time and our kids will become conditioned to eat healthy. Overweight adults? hey, we did it to ourselves. Overweight kids? Breaks my heart to see our youth with health problems like diabetes, heart disease and sleep apnea.

Sorry about the rant but we can save our kids lives by saving our own. Most of you here seem to realize these things, but we have to reach out to those don't see the big picture yet. God Bless.

Yes there is merit to that. Food from a drive through can still have some healthiness if the right choices are made ( like not getting the fries, not having be cheese, not having the soda), even though they want you to buy these as a package..

But making it at home you at least can moderate the size and know what goes into it, and even get the kids to help so that they understand the impact of food on weight and health.
  • kimwig
    Options

Thank you for your eloquent discourse, would-be Doctor.

As far as the ranting fool in the quote, no one forced him to read this thread either. He made a choice and instead of kicking himself, he took it out on everyone else who will follow. I suppose that these "innane" posts(in his opinion-"pompous") are like passing a fatal car wreck--- You don't really want to look but you just can't look away either.

Thank you for understanding from where I was coming in my response. I do get tired of those who blame others for weight gain etc.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    OK, kimwig, you guys can stand on your platforms and feel as though you are in some way qualified to tell everyone else what they're doing wrong without knowing their situations whatsoever, and expand on your compounded drivel to your heart's content, and I'll not make any further attempt at showing you how erroneous or at least out of place most of your statements are.

However, I would like to point out that saying you have all of the degrees and certificates to be a doctor doesn't make it true, as this is the internet, and one may say whatever they like to their heart's content. I simply posted to let you know that you can't criticize people anonymously and blindly without a response back, repudiating your tone.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I make fruit smoothies for breakfast EVERY morning to get my fruit and dairy in. Today I used 1 banana, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, and 1/2 cup milk. Most of the time I add yogurt but today I didn't. Very very yummy and good for you. I shop in the produce department A Lot because I make all homemade meals using veggies. It may take some time but I know too many processed foods are horrible for your body and have a lot of chemicals in them!
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    i eat 1-2 servings of fruit a day and 3-5 servings of veggies. :) some times they are included or 'hidden' in a recipe and might not have its own entry, but they are there.

Me too!

I love fresh veggies. But if I don't have any in the house there are allways frozen veggies in the freezer. And for my snacks its always fruit.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    OK, kimwig, you guys can stand on your platforms and feel as though you are in some way qualified to tell everyone else what they're doing wrong without knowing their situations whatsoever, and expand on your compounded drivel to your heart's content, and I'll not make any further attempt at showing you how erroneous or at least out of place most of your statements are.

However, I would like to point out that saying you have all of the degrees and certificates to be a doctor doesn't make it true, as this is the internet, and one may say whatever they like to their heart's content. I simply posted to let you know that you can't criticize people anonymously and blindly without a response back, repudiating your tone.

What a dolt!!
  • kimwig
    Options

I care not if you believe or do not believe the qualifications of a person, it is of no importance to me.

At no point have I used such to say "my point is valid", or to tell people what they should or should not do, I simply made a statement for response and discussion. You chose to mention it and critise me for it.

My statements in response to your post were to expand on your quoted "facts" that make obesity "complex" and your link to an "article" that shows "the government made me fat".

I have made no criticism, at any point, of any person. I have just said that what we eat is our choice and our choice only ( I have made many many wrong food choices over my life), and that the government has never held me down and force fed me (unless they have crept into my room at night without my knowledge!)..

Our weight, as an adult, is therefore our choice, consciously or subconsciously. I would be happy to hear from adult who thinks that what they weigh is the fault of someone else.
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Our weight, as an adult, is therefore our choice, consciously or subconsciously. I would be happy to hear from adult who thinks that what they weigh is the fault of someone else.

Hear Here!!
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Just a question (and not to cause ****, really just a question) How is our weight our choice if it is something subconscious? That implies that it is NOT something we are aware of. And while yes, people could stop eating things they may be eating something due to a trauma that occured in their early life leading to an unquenchable desire for something. Also, (just to play devils advocate) there are people who have parasomnia (specifically NS-RED though sometimes listed in individuals as an ED-NOS) who have no control over what they are eating as it happens when they sleep.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Having been on fitness pal for over 8 months and lost over 35lb, getting my BMI into the normal range, I have been looking at how others are either losing weight (or not in some cases) and it seems to me that people don't eat veggies and fruit anymore. There seems to be a lot of processed and takeaway foods, and lots of excuses as to why it is too hard to get and prepare veggies
    Is this the case, have we stopped realizing how good veggies are for us! What happened, is this why we are seeing such increases in obesity.

Exactly!! I see this too.

Everyone wants convenience and what is easiest. I keep hearing the whole I don't have time for XXX or yyy.

What I see people fail to realize is that the more nutrient dense the foods you eat are, the less calories you will eat overall. Your body is getting the nutrition it is craving, desiring and needing so therefore you will be satisfied on less.

This is the primary reason I don't believe in the whole "everything in moderation" mantra.
  • runningneo122
    Options

Just a question (and not to cause ****, really just a question) How is our weight our choice if it is something subconscious? That implies that it is NOT something we are aware of. And while yes, people could stop eating things they may be eating something due to a trauma that occured in their early life leading to an unquenchable desire for something. Also, (just to play devils advocate) there are people who have parasomnia (specifically NS-RED though sometimes listed in individuals as an ED-NOS) who have no control over what they are eating as it happens when they sleep.

No offense but, the people you mention, while bonafide fall well outside the realm of the discussion at hand. We are talking about the majority while you are mentioning(rightfully so, don't get me wrong) the very small group that are a very small percentage of the world at large.

I'm sure there must be some U.S government funded study of somnambulistic eating somewhere that these people could sign up for and get some help with their problem. The subconscious is likened to a computer---garbage in, garbage out. Reprogramming the subconscious is science, not science fiction and it is one of the keys to successful weightloss and maintenance afterward.
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options

No offense but, the people you mention, while bonafide fall well outside the realm of the discussion at hand. We are talking about the majority while you are mentioning(rightfully so, don't get me wrong) the very small group that are a very small percentage of the world at large.

I'm sure there must be some U.S government funded study of somnambulistic eating somewhere that these people could sign up for and get some help with their problem. The subconscious is likened to a computer---garbage in, garbage out. Reprogramming the subconscious is science, not science fiction and it is one of the keys to successful weightloss and maintenance afterward.

I didn't say it wasn't posible to "reprogram" as you put it, but therapy is expensive ...
    I fully agree that people tend to make poor choices, but I think that it is hard to assume you can tell anything about a person based on their food diary.
    I am surprised that no one who is upset about this post didn't bring up gastrointestinal issues however. Years of poor diets (especially during development) can cause the body to produce too much or too little of digestive enzymes which could cause issues with digestion. Which I know brings us back to making good choices, but as we have already mentioned most children have very little say in their diets which could be when actual physical issues may have began. Just a thought... Seems to be that this is YEARS (and generations) of poor eating, not just something that happend.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    oops