do you log everything you do?? even sitting?

Options
I work at a sit down job typing all day.... im doing a 1200 calorie diet goal with MFP and am wondering am i suppose to input everything i do in my excercise log... i founf online that typing for 60 minutes burns 29/hour... though it may seem minor... 29 calories for 8 hours of typing is 232 extra calories for me a day.

Is MFP set up to log EVERYTHING.... is the 1200 calorie goal for if i were to stay in bed and do nothing all day???

im not sure if i should be logging every step and keystroke LOL

Replies

• mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I do not log everything I do, I log everything I eat. As for cleaning house, I clean fast and furious and wear my HRM so I can log that. I burned 300+ calories with cleaning for 55 min!
    I work at a sit down job typing all day.... im doing a 1200 calorie diet goal with MFP and am wondering am i suppose to input everything i do in my excercise log... i founf online that typing for 60 minutes burns 29/hour... though it may seem minor... 29 calories for 8 hours of typing is 232 extra calories for me a day.

Is MFP set up to log EVERYTHING.... is the 1200 calorie goal for if i were to stay in bed and do nothing all day???

• regi1
    regi1 Posts: 28
    Options
    I only log any excercise I do. From what I can tell from the Goals part of MFP every day activity has been accounted for.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    No. When you figured out your original goals it asked for your lifestyle and when you gave it that information it took in account your day-to-day activities. So any activity you do above and beyond that is what you log - an hour in the garden, a long walk, gym, etc.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    No. That is what the activity level is for when you first signed up! Asks you how active you are. At least I don't. I don't log shopping or cleaning or anything like that
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    no, no, MFP calorie allowance takes into account everyday activities, if you log those activities you wont lose..

sorry :)
  • GSDlover
    Options
    I was wondering this also, because I walk my dog for 15 - 30 minutes 4 times a day.
    But a lot of it is walking around in circles or standing there for them to do their buisness.
    or throwing a ball.

So I'm not sure how I would log this, or what I would log this under.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My rule is anything I did in my normal routine when I was fat and not watching calories like sex, cleaning, sleeping, ect does not count...since it obviously wasn't helping lol so I don't count that stuff, some people do though.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I only count things I do as exercise for exercise. MFP definitely takes into account your normal daily stuff like waking around the house, at work, brushing teeth, sitting/standing/etc. It gets a little grey when you have your profile set to sedentary and you spend 4 hours on your feet shopping/cooking (something out of the ordinary) - I *might* log some extra calories for something like that, because I wear a BodyMedia FIT and I know I would burn more calories than my sedentary setting provides, but in general I only log actual workouts.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    My fitbit shows I walk 4-5 miles on an average day. But that is my job so I don't log it. I only log when I go to the gym,
    or go aqua class.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I only log exercise if it's intentional ie going for a walk at lunch vs walking to starbucks to get coffee
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    My rule is anything I did in my normal routine when I was fat and not watching calories like sex, cleaning, sleeping, ect does not count...since it obviously wasn't helping lol so I don't count that stuff, some people do though.

Good analysis. My sentiments as well.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I log housework that isn't part of normal routine. Vacuuming? Normal. Vacuuming where I move the couch and dining room table and all that sort of stuff to sweep under them? Not normal. :wink:
  • mrscates
    Options
    I have never logged cleaning till this past weekend and when wearing my HRM I got into Zone 2 and sometimes Zone 3---with that said. I am counting those calories since I am in Zone 2 and 3 with P90X, LOL!
  • reese1206
    reese1206 Posts: 229
    Options
    No just my actual workouts
  • mrscates
    Options
    LOVE IT!
    I log housework that isn't part of normal routine. Vacuuming? Normal. Vacuuming where I move the couch and dining room table and all that sort of stuff to sweep under them? Not normal. :wink:
  • AbbyLu
    AbbyLu Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm same as you... 1200 calories/ day, w/ a desk job. When you put in your activity level when you set up your profile, it should have automatically acounted for this. No need to double add it. :)
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I do not log everything I do, I log everything I eat. As for cleaning house, I clean fast and furious and wear my HRM so I can log that. I burned 300+ calories with cleaning for 55 min!

your welcome to come over and clean my place ANYDAY ... dang yo
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I only log all my food. When I am cleaning I don't log that because I don't know what I am burning.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My rule is that I log anything I had to get changed for. So if I am just tidying up the house, vacuuming or whatever, I dont count that. If i am doing spring cleaning, that counts! If I am taking the dog outside to do her business, that doesnt count. But her hour long walk does because I wear my walking shoes and HRM. And no, getting nekkid for sex does not count as getting changed for me! ;)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

No! You should have already set your activity level - sedentary, lightly active, active etc, which accounts for your job and lifestyle. Then you set your weight loss goal, (1lb per week, 2lb per week) and MFP deduct the amount of cals to realise that loss. For example: To lose 1lb per week means you need to eat 500 cals per day less than you expend from your 'lifestyle'. Then you add on your exercise calories.

This is not an exact science. But its a good rule of thumb.

If you find you're hungry or not losing weight, you can tweek things. But see how you get on for a few weeks.

Good luck :flowerforyou: