Treadmill vs Cross trainer

addman72
addman72 Posts: 220
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Whats better for burning calories? The Elliptical cross trainer or the treadmill?

I do most of my cardio on the treadmill , I burn somewhere between 600 -700 calories an hour according to the machine, and I sweat so much my shirt is soaked through.

The cross trainer Im not burning as much , 10min period i burn 80-90 calories, once again according to the machine.
It doesnt seem to work me out as much as running. Thats the reason I only use it for 20min.

Replies

• kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    I find that I have a greater range of calories burned on the cross trainer. Whenever I use the treadmill I burn about 450 - 600 calories in an hour, doing intervals of jogging with walking. On the cross trainer, I find I can either work really hard and burn 700 - 800 calories in an hour (counted with my HRM) or I can work much less hard and burn 300 - 500 calories. It depends on what I am doing that day and what I want to get out of my workout, if that makes any sense. There are some days that I want to burn as many calories as possible and other days that are about recovering or where I am resting for other reasons.

I love the treadmill and have been using it a ton lately. But the cross trainer is great to mix things up once in a while!
  • Have you tried putting the treadmill in on here in the exercise list with your weight; and then the cross trainer. (ecliptical trainer I think they call it. Its under e any way. )
    I did that and the guide on the one at the gym said I burnt 120 cal but on here for my weight it said 197 for 20 mins cross trainer.
    that should be more accurate as it includes your actual weight.
    Let me know. Nat
This discussion has been closed.