Is it possible to make Greek yogurt taste good?

Options

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I mix s/f jello pudding in mine with a little splenda. Lemon is my fave :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I typically add a sweeter fruit. Like mangos! Yum. MAngos and coconut taste like a vacation. :D

Also use a little pit of jam.

Use it for something savory. Make your own creamy guacamole. Half guac and half greek yogurt with a tiny bit of salt and pepper.

Have you tried cucumber soup or raita as a side dish with meat?
    Make veggie dip: yogurt, lemon, salt, garlic powder, and pepper is pretty good. Or add french onion mix.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Wow I love it pretty much every way!! There are brands that are far superior though...general consensus around here is Fage is the best (the 2% is awesome, the 0% almost as good) and I think Voskos is amazing (24 g of protein per cup). Oikos is blah, Yoplait is gross, Chobani is ok.

A little agave nectar, or a little canned pumpkin is the way I eat it the most. Yum! My problem is limitation of the stuff!
  • sd59940
    sd59940 Posts: 27
    Options
    I brought bananas today, pumpkin seeds and stevia maybe a hint of honey or brown sugar. Kdiamond I have agave nectar I should try that too. The label says its “All Natural Brown Cow “ 0 % fat plain Greek yogurt.

Thanks for all your responses; I have plenty of ideas now!!!!
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Grate/chop a cucumber and mix it with the yogurt, add some salt, pepper, maybe garlic, maybe dill, chives, parsley for a heart Greek style cucumber salad (Tsatsiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzatziki)
    Hothouse/English cucumbers work best because they are less watery.

As for the brand, I highly recommend the Fage 2% - it has pretty much the same amount of calories as the 0% (the container is bigger, that's why it looks like it has more) and one serving is 130 cal and 17g protein. The slightly higher fat content cuts the tartness and makes it taste much better IMHO
  • sallyperry
    Options
    To eat if plain, no not for me, but to incorporate it into a recipe is another thing. Last night I baked fish with it. I used a cookie sheet, sprayed some oil on it and put the Greek yogart on both sides of the fish than I used Special K and chopped walnuts and put that on top of the fish pushed it firmly into the fish with spatula and seasoned it a little with whatever than baked it at 350 -375 for about 20-30 min. I loved it.

Also where ever you use sour cream -- eliminate the sour cream and use the Greek Yogart, like on Mexican layer salad and baked potatoes. Hope that helps.
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I love it with amber agave nectar!! Yuuuum! That is a natural sugar :)
  • svackar
    svackar Posts: 33
    Options
    I am totally hooked on Chobani. 140 calories, 0 fat. I like the fruit flavors and use the plain as a substitute for sour cream.

We prefer the Chobani fruit flavors at our home too! much better than others and can buy in bulk at Costco.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt with a little bit of honey and walnuts. It sounds like you are avoiding sugar, but honey is at least natural.
  • dar4765
    dar4765 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Suggestions from my dietician!

Splenda
    Torani - sugar free flavors
    a little sugar free jam/jelly
    1/4 cup of Fiber One cereal

Those have all worked for me with Chobani plain non-fat! I agree all the protein really makes you feel full and satisfied!
  • sightnowchanging
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to eat Greek yogurt is as a dip for a cut up apple! In a half cup of yogurt, mix a little bit of sweetener (I generally use Splenda) and a serving of ground flaxseed (which is generally 2 tbsp or 14g, depending on how you measure). The flaxseed coupled with the sweetener makes an interesting flavor that works perfectly as a dip! And it's DELICIOUS! And even better, it's HEALTHY because of the omega-3's and stuff in flaxseed!

?????????

PROFIT.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste/texture of the 0% non fat greek yogurt go with the 2% Fage I find the extra calories and fat are minimal and the taste and texture are much more to my liking.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Hi! I've started to add a 1TBSP of natural peanut butter to my greek yogurt and mix well.
  • Meggymud
    Meggymud Posts: 4
    Options
    A little fat free maple syrup makes it taste like cheesecake. Make some low calorie jello, and while it's still liquid, pour a little in the yogurt, then stir it up. If I make strawberry banana jello, It'll make the yogurt into strawberry banana yogurt too! Hope that helps! I also found that fage total 0 is better than the others, but that's just an opinion.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I have incorporated Greek yogurt into my diet because of its high protein content any where between 13-20 grams. I tried cinnamon and a teaspoon of honey. Any ideas? I will tolerate it for now at least. :happy: Thanks!

I love greek yogurt. I use it in place of sourcream in any dish, topping, recipe etc. Try mixing in a ranch (or your favorite) powdered dressing packet and use it as dressing or a dip. You can thin it out with a little fat free milk if your pouring it over a salad. I use it on baked potatoes also. Try mixing in a little agave nectar and some vanilla and top it with your favorite fruit. My fav's are pineapple, peaches, strawberries. To mask the taste even more add some slivereed almonds or flax seeds for a crunch
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There are some great sugar free syrups out there. I think vanilla is even available at starbucks but my favorite is raspberry- I mix a little in and then mix it with Kashi go Lean Crunch, or with some fresh berries. I have even mixed greek yogurt, fat free cream cheese, and splenda to make a cheesecake-like dessert. The syrups are available in a variety of flavors at World Market....
  • Blmilligan
    Options
    If I'm in the mood for something desert like, mix a 1/2 tbsp of all natural peanut butter and 1/2 tbsp hazelnut spread (President's choice brand is as good as Nutella) in with liberte Greek Plain Yogurt. Mix it all together. delicious! I actually crave this now.
  • macbeth4050
    macbeth4050 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I will mix mine with s/f jell-o, make jell-o as directed on package but instead of using cold water add a cup of yogurt it gives it a great flavor.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Sugar Free blueberry jam!! Yummy!!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Here are three ways I eat my plain greek yogurt:

-1/2 cup blueberries mixed with container of greek yogurt--- 120 calories

-1/3 cup blueberries, 1 container greek yogurt, 1/4 cup high fiber cereal, 2 Tbsp sliced almonds (layer like a parfait)-- 180 calories

- Mix a container of greek yogurt with a devil's food cake mix box (hungry-girl.com) for a higher protein, moist cake!!