Has anyone ever heard of this machine? Does it work?

Options
So my in-laws bought this machine that you stand on (almost like an elliptical) and it vibrates you either softly, or roughly on a scale of 1-25. Now, my in-laws are saying the sales guy saidtold them its used to loose weight and reduce back pain....but I fail to see how this will do that. Has anyone ever heard of a machine like this?

Replies

• Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    lol didnt they have that machine in the 50's?

Im not that old but I think I saw a show on tv a while back about all the diet fads.

Jiggling your fat wont make you lose weight. If it did, all of America would go for it.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    its called whole body vibration, google that online and see what you come up with!!
    For me I have not tried it, but it is supposed to help with lots of stuff, and I said supposed to, it was aldo on Dr Oz and the DRs and I even think Oprah did something on it as well

lol the one in the 50's used to have a big rubber band tied to it, lol my grandma used to have one seen pics of her on it lol

I hope this has helped!!
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    They have been around a while. A mate of mine has one and swear by it.

Im not convinced it would do enough
  • leahs_faith
    Options
    Hahaha...I'm now reminded of all those 1950's housewives pics of them on that machine with the band around their butts! LOL! But yeah I just tried standing on it, and it DOES vibrate pretty hard, but all it did was jiggle around everything and serve to make me feel even mor eself-concious than normal. :( I don't think its a good idea....plus didn't they say that those old ones from the 1950's caused some internal damage from extended vibrations?!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think the recent product like this is called a Power Plate, and Madonna was promoting one. Check out this blog - it's very well-written:

http://blogcritics.org/scitech/article/the-healthy-skeptic-madonna-and-the/

I'd skip this gimmick and do a real workout to burn real calories.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It's sorta like those ad's where people wear those bulky looking black neoprene belts that have a contraption that "stimulates" the muscles in the stomach. I mean, looking at all those awesome bodies is great but really? You want me to believe that wearing that all day is gonna make my ab's "tight?" A lot of this stuff is very gimmicky. I'm sure that is some respect it would work but there is still no substitute for proper exercise (the health benefits are THAT much better too) and I maintain that if it was that easy to lose weight, none of us would be busting our hiney's with p90x and the gym and enduring days of muscle soreness if we could achieve the same benefits from a piece of equipment.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Something I saw said that it was for helping you loosen up and lubricate your joints. Something like that :smile: