All Diet and No Exercise....?

Options
Liatush
Liatush Posts: 627 Member
Since I injured my knees last year, I have been unable to work out and a tremendeous amount of weight seems to have snuck up on me in this short amount of time.

I still cannot work out but am starting to diet using MFP and really paying attention to what I am eating. I am worried, though, that diet alone won't be enough and that I wont be able to lose this weight without adequate cardio workouts.

Anyone else in this boat who managed to get to their goal weight by diet alone?

Replies

• jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    through this class some of the girls at work have taken they say if you eat enough protein and fiber and less carbs that you still can lose weight.. they have done it and lost.. i must not eat enough protein and fiber i suppose.. its a idea though....
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Although I can't speak from personal experience, the facts are that weight loss can absolutely be achieved through diet alone. As long as you hit your calorie goals in MFP, you will start to see weight loss.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Since u have injured knees and cant really exercise u could try doing some boxing punches.. It burns calories and gets ur heartrate up.. Just a thought :smile:
  • Larry7995
    Options
    they say its 90% diet anyway, I love working out and my knees are crappy but I do what I can, like tonight is Pilates and that's all on the ground,. can you do elliptical? That's pretty easy on the knees. I do run a bit but then I have to NOT run for 3-5 days, I am hoping that changes a bit as I lighten up.
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    I can't speak from experience but it is my belief that diet is more important important than exercise. I mean by this that clean eating can get you a long way, so try this for now and incorporate exercise into your regime when you can!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    you can do upper work, like weights and like suggested, boxing, good luck to you.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I just went home for a month from college, so I was eating better and I wasnt working out, and I lost 5 lbs in a month. It can be done :)
  • Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    Options
    i lost 56 pounds in 6 months no exercise because of a medical condition ...it can sooooooooooooo be done.....
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    I know quite a few people who have only done the diet half and have lost weight, however the exercise part helps build muscle which burns calories even when you're not eating in an ideal way.

I would suggest doing at least some upper body workouts and walk whenever you can. Just 30 minutes of walking a few times a week can work wonders.
  • meanbmc
    meanbmc Posts: 28
    Options
    i have severe rheumatoid arthritis, and my joints are all a mess! therefore, exercise is really difficult. 6 months ago the doc said i had to lose weight. well, i couldn't exercise, but i did cut to 1200 calories a day, and lost about 20 pounds in 3 months. so, yes, diet without exercise can work, if you stick to it! i'm not able to do a lot of workout right now, but i'm still watching what i eat, and hopefully will still lose some. good luck!
    betsy
  • TeaRex268
    TeaRex268 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im in that boat with you, I have torn all of the muscles in my lower back and will be out of action for a while. I am being very careful with my food intake and i'm hopeful that I can lose a bit slowly if nothing else.

With a knee injury can you do any upper body / core workouts or maybe swimming cos there is no impact.

Im hoping to go swimming as soon as I'm confident that i can get into and out of the pool!
  • roryskristin
    Options
    I have only walked for 15 minutes 1 day since I started on the 1st of January, no other exercise! I need to lose a little weight before I get the motivation to work out (I know that sounds odd). I have lost 6+ pounds you can do it.
  • hhudson88
    hhudson88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight by doing almost completely diet and no exercise. I am a full time college student and work about 25 hours a week so fitting exercise into my day is really really hard for me. I have watched my calories very closely and started making healthier choices and the weight has come off. Granted it has been slow. I have lost about 15 lbs (lost some before MFP) in about 6 monthes. However, I have not been diligent through the holidays. And if all you are doing is diet, having a couple of bad days will cause your weight to creep back up. But it has worked for me and I feel so much better than I have in years. Good luck and if you want to friend me, feel free. We can encourage each other!
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    dislocated my knee cap last January, and was unable to do anything with my legs, started off slowly with water exercises and now I am up to a whole year later and some physio I can now do 45 mins aerobics. so it does take time!!

cheers and good luck!
  • Talliexxx
    Options
    Hi, just do what you can. I have arthritis and lupus and some days are very bad for me on these days I just do some walking or light weights.Every little change counts x
  • atampa
    atampa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i have been only doing the diet for a little over 2 months and i have still been losing weight. I hurt my back and cannot only walk on the treadmill at 2.0. i'd rather just do that at home. But i was very worried too. I found that i have been doing better since not working out. However once i get better i will hit the gym again to tone up!

Best of luck, eat your calories and try not to go over
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the support.

I will definitely try to find (upper body?) workouts that I am still able to do and hope I can see results soon enough :)

Good luck to all of you as well!!