The machine vs. MFP

Sarean
Sarean Posts: 77
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I walked on the treadmill in my gym tonight. 20 minutes at 3.0 speed with a 1.5 incline.

I didn't put my weight into the machine, but it said I burned 96 calories. MFP's preset walking at 3.0 speed says I burned 125. Which should I go with?

Replies

• lynzt16
    lynzt16 Posts: 48
    I tend to use the lower calorie burn because i figure that it cant hurt to under-estimate !
  • mrssturgeon7911
    mrssturgeon7911 Posts: 19 Member
    I think machines readings are not trustful at all! I would go with MFP's. But at the same time it's better to underestimate than over...but I have heard that the machines are way off either way.
  • if you didnt put your weight in the machine it wont be accurate. i would use MFP.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    This seems to be an ongoing question! For me the machines usually give a higher number than the MFP database. I was curious, So I recently got a heart rate monitor. It is pretty close (sometimes just a little higher) than what the MFP database says. Unless you have a Heart rate montior, I would just go with the MFP estimate. It worked well to help me get rid of 40-plus pounds!
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    The most accurate would be to get a HRM. if you cant afford one then I would go with MFP's number.
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Thanks everyone, I'll go with the MFP number and start saving for that HRM.
  • revphillips
    revphillips Posts: 19 Member
    I've been wondering this same thing, but the machines at the gym (elliptical) actually tell me I've burned far fewer calories than MFP does. I DO enter my weight and age into the elliptical and I also am CONSTANTLY letting it check my HR so I hope its SOMEWHAT accurate.

I find that when I am logging my exercise here on MFP I actually log fewer minutes than I was on the machine in order to log what the lowest calories burned number says.

That makes me nervous though - because I read here on MFP that the machines at the gym are always really low compared to actual calories burned, and then MFP says I've burned MORE - so I normally log EVEN LOWER than the machine says - how much do I need to be exercising to feel like I'm actually burning these calories?!?!
This discussion has been closed.