Low Glycemix Index Diet

Options
Hi,
I am doing a low glycemic index diet and I am really seeing good results. I just was wondering about my calorie intake. My calorie intake seems extremely low, it ranges from 700-900 a day. I feel full. Is that ok?

Replies

• lprewett86
    lprewett86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That seems low, but I'm sure not a physician of any sort. I've heard to stay around 1200 if ya can, just add in exercise. I'm not up on the low glycemic diet though.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It's probably not a good idea to go below 1200 a day for any extended period of time. For one thing, your body needs more calories just to function every day (refer to the BMR tool on this site), and also you will have a harder time convincing your body to let go of fat if you aren't feeding it enough. Trust me, I was there before I joined MFP. 700-900 a day, occasional weekend binges, and exercise and I was extremely frustrated because I wasn't losing.

Now I'm eating what MFP recommends in high quality foods and I don't have the cravings for bad foods, I don't binge anymore, I don't feel deprived. My body was used to the low calories so I felt satisfied before but as soon as I started eating more and exercising more regularly, I could tell that I felt better and I just didn't realize before that I didn't feel good. Does that make sense?

Totally forgot to add: I am also low glycemic at the urging of my nutritionist. She didn't even want me counting calories, but I am too neurotic to just "eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full." I'm too worried I'll do something "wrong."
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Hmm I have done/still do some low GI, your intake seems too low. You should be around 1200 a day minimum. You'll lose on 700-900 but most will be muscle (which burns more calories!), you want to burn fat.

Which one are you following?
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi,
    I am doing a low glycemic index diet and I am really seeing good results. I just was wondering about my calorie intake. My calorie intake seems extremely low, it ranges from 700-900 a day. I feel full. Is that ok?

Mine is the same; on the low side. but the way i see it is as long as i feel full i'm not going to eat the other 300-400 calories just because.
  • onmyway1101
    onmyway1101 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It does make sense. I may try and add a couple more snacks in between my meals.
  • onmyway1101
    Options
    Hmm I have done/still do some low GI, your intake seems too low. You should be around 1200 a day minimum. You'll lose on 700-900 but most will be muscle (which burns more calories!), you want to burn fat.

Which one are you following?

I really dont know. a friend of mine was doing it and lost alot of weight so I did some research on it and I think its the red yellow green light system.
    Red-Foods you avoid completely
    Yellow- Foods that you can have occasionaly
    Green- Foods you can have all the time

I am really liking it. Its easy to follow.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to maintain a healthy body eating 7-900 cals. Not enough nutrition. Usually you will start to feel the ill effects after a few days, and then you'll want to binge. Or you'll get used to the low cals and then as soon as you eat properly, the weight will come back. That's two of the reasons MFP recommend 1200 minimum cals per day.

Low calorie diets are not sustainable. Fine for short term loss. But not for long term health.

That's the theory anyhow :bigsmile:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • onmyway1101
    Options
    Thanks
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I too am low G.I. and although they say not to count calories on this diet, I do. I always make sure to eat at least 1200 calories and I've lost a lot of weight doing it. It's healthier that way, especially if you are exercising too.
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    I follow a low GI diet as well. You do feel fuller on less calories because you are getting most of your carbs from fruits and veggies instead of breads. It is a good idea to try to stay as close to 1200 per day as possible. But I don't think is necessary to eaty jusst to make your calorie target. Just do what feels right. As long as you are not starving yourself, its all good.